Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 05:49:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[87] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[81] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[72] Return of the BRUTE?
[61] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seaton tramway  (Read 5165 times)
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2021, 08:47:07 »

The Ranty Highwayman's last holiday blog includes the Seaton Tramway
https://therantyhighwayman.blogspot.com/2021/09/five-go-mad-in-dorset-part-3-sunny.html
Maybe members of the forum could comment on a Highway Engineers view's, including
It's the kind of thing that gets me thinking. If an entrepreneur can build a little tramway like this for tourism (with newer units being wheelchair accessible), are there any lessons we could take away from this to create other tramways for transport?
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 17:19:03 »

...my thoughts are - if a private individual/small group were able to introduce OHL (Over-Head Line) on a shoestring (presumably) for this tramway why cannot Network Rail electrify branchlines at reasonable cost?

I am expecting a whole load of reasons from forum members more knowledgeable than I am.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 17:30:53 »

...my thoughts are - if a private individual/small group were able to introduce OHL (Over-Head Line) on a shoestring (presumably) for this tramway why cannot Network Rail electrify branchlines at reasonable cost?

I am expecting a whole load of reasons from forum members more knowledgeable than I am.

Not a direct answer to your question, but these articles may prove of interest:

http://www.tautonline.com/powering-trams-electrification-masterclass-part-one/

http://www.tautonline.com/powering-trams-part-two/

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 21:04:25 »

The Seaton Tramway is a 2'9" gauge line with trams weight about 7 tons (I asked one of the team there because even Google couldn't help me) electrified at 110 volts and 3 miles long, top speed 17 mph

a National Rail line would be a different kettle or fish.  Lets try one

The line to xxxx would be a 4'8.75 gauge line with 3 car train weighing 115 tons electrified at 25,000 volts and 25 miles long, top speed (say) 60 m.p.h. to make it practical for regular passenger use

All sorts of scalability issues - not to lessen the achievements in Seaton

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 18:42:14 »

Took a trip to the Seaton Tramway today and thoroughly enjoyed it.

We elected to start our journey from the Colyton end - attracted by the free parking there.  It seemed to be the right decision as we were travelling against the flow as it were with most visitors starting out from Seaton judging by the size of the queues as we arrived at Seaton on the first leg and back at Colyton when we returned.

Colyton is a delightful station with a small cafe and gift shop.   Two new stations have recently been opened on the three mile route which gives walkers better access to the wetlands which are next to part of the line through the Axe Valley.

For £12 you can buy a ticket to travel all day - which even if you only do one round trip represents good value for around 45 minutes of travelling.

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 10:54:10 »

There can also be queues first thing at Colyton. Last Tuesday the first service left passengers behind despite a duplicate tram running. Queues at both ends that day. On duty at Wetlands Halt tomorrow so won't see the queues, except Seaton at lunchtime

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 11:05:02 »

I did look out for you yesterday Roger!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 17:31:04 »

110 volts DC (Direct Current) is relatively low risk, touching it should be avoided for just in case, but is unlikely to be fatal.
110 volts could be used for full size trams or other vehicles but performance would be limited.
Fairgrounds used 110 volts DC and treated it very casually, accidents no doubt occurred but were infrequent.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 12:37:23 »

There can also be queues first thing at Colyton. Last Tuesday the first service left passengers behind despite a duplicate tram running. Queues at both ends that day. On duty at Wetlands Halt tomorrow so won't see the queues, except Seaton at lunchtime

I wonder if that was in any way to do with the anniversary?  A year later and it's been there 53 years!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaton_Tramway

The new line opened on 28 August 1970, just in time for the end of the holiday season. It was laid to the new 2 ft 9in gauge, with Car 8 operating the first departures. This initial opening was very limited: the line only went as far as the newly christened 'Bobsworth Bridge', named after the inaugural one shilling fare. The overhead electrical supply was yet to be installed, so as a temporary measure each tram was coupled to a battery trailer.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2024, 13:55:06 »

I believe that branch lines could be electrified at much lower cost than at present. New conductor rail installations are de facto banned.
A cheaper possibility would be OHLE at 750 volts DC (Direct Current). Already used for trams so the equipment is at least somewhat standard.
DC electric trains are a mature and well understood technology, and the train need not "know" that the current is from an overhead wire and not a live rail.
The move away from all 25 KV AC would be regrettable, but arguably a price worth paying for cheaper, simpler, and less obtrusive electrification of branch lines. Performance would be limited to keep down the current and the related costs, but remember we are talking of branch lines, not intercity.
A class 159 has reasonable performance with a power of about 900 kw,  something similar but electrically powered is probably about the sensible limit with 750 volt DC overhead.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2024, 18:52:30 »

There are live cameras at Seaton depot and Colyford station too. on youtube.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: