Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Warminster
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
19:04 London Paddington to Penzance
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 14:24:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[153] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[97] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[41] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[38] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[37] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Airport  (Read 15623 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2022, 13:00:24 »

What sort of refund do you get under such circumstances?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2022, 18:09:43 »

What sort of refund do you get under such circumstances?

In-airport delays? Likely nothing. Compensation for delayed baggage only usually kicks in if it fails to make it to the airport. It would probably need to be delayed on ground at the 'home' airport for over a day before an airline would consider compensation. For lost, damaged, severely delayed baggage it's probably best to claim on your travel insurance. Whilst the airline is liable, they are unlikely to be quick or generous with compensation. You'll be caught between your airline and them arguing the toss with the airport and its baggage handling contractor.

For a near two hour delay claiming baggage? Goodwill gesture at best if you complain to the airport/handling company. More likely just a mealy mouthed apology.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2022, 20:16:10 »

Last night I had the joy of waiting for relatives arriving at BRS (Business Rates Supplement) on return from their holiday.

Their flight was a hour late but that wasn't a problem as I was able to track it. I knew long before I set off to the airport that they were going to be delayed leaving Marrakech as the plane allocated to their flight (G-TUMM TUI (Touristik Union International. Also known as TUI Group - ) B737 Max 8 for those who like to know such things) was delayed on it's inbound flight.

I also factored in additional waiting time for them to clear security after landing. Not wishing to be bankrupted I parked up in a layby on the A38 near the airport rather than be held to ransom by the extortionate car park charges. I tracked the plane using Flightradar so only had to wait for their call to say they'd cleared security.

So, their flight taxied to a stand at 0025. What time did they get out of Arrivals? 0215!!! Security was breezed through. They then waited over an HOUR AND A HALF for their luggage. That was 50% of they're flight time.

The fault lay entirely with Swissport, the baggage handlers for their flight. DHL handled flights were breezing through baggage reclaim.

I'm really glad I don't fly anywhere. I'll stick with trains thanks.

I'll bet half of the baggage crew had finished at midnight. One reason I avoid taking hold luggage, but that isn't always possible. I think you may be right about compensation - hanging about at the airport for luggage that is there but maddeningly out of reach seems to be the only contingency not mentioned in all the guidance I have read, but worth asking.

I flew home on a 737 MAX 8 (G-TUMS) in May. I know it had a chequered start to say the least, but I liked it. It seemed quick on the uptake, quiet, more leg room, and bigger windows than its older brother. Only an extra inch, but it was a remarkable view, letting me recognise places in Turkey and Italy I had been. Reminded me a bit of the 787 Dreamliner, especially with the funky nascelle chevrons.

Now, please!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2022, 22:25:42 »

So, their flight taxied to a stand at 0025. What time did they get out of Arrivals? 0215!!! Security was breezed through. They then waited over an HOUR AND A HALF for their luggage. That was 50% of they're flight time.
Not an unusual for Bristol sadly and this sort of delay for luggage was happening at times even before covid. Friends who’ve flown via Bristol twice this year have had two hours plus waits for baggage on both occasions.

This, and problems at the other end i.e. getting through security, means we’re avoiding using Bristol airport until they sort themselves out. Been using Bournemouth instead these past couple of years. Great little airport.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2022, 03:47:25 »

"The railway" clearly have a lot to learn from the airline and airport industries, WRT (with regard to ) to luggage in particular.

What we need is some form of checked luggage facility on trains, preferably involving computers and automated handling systems.

Lunch in London, dinner in Plymouth, luggage at Castle Cary.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2022, 09:42:21 »

"The railway" clearly have a lot to learn from the airline and airport industries, WRT (with regard to ) to luggage in particular.

What we need is some form of checked luggage facility on trains, preferably involving computers and automated handling systems.

Lunch in London, dinner in Plymouth, luggage at Castle Cary.

Or the other way round.
Passengers would carry / drag their holiday suitcases on to the plane and then force them into racks at each end and, possibly, the middle.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2022, 09:49:49 »

I flew from Bristol on the afternoon of the Queens funeral.At the top of the escalator after swiping boarding passes we were herded..not shepherded... into 7 lines of alternating direction. I estimated each line to be 100 yards long from end to end, so in effect over half a mile long. There were 4 out of 10 security checkpoints operating.
I scanned my boarding pass at 1357 and only just made my Newcastle flight at 1640 that was as far from security as possible. At 68 and a few medical conditions, running is not my forte.
On my return the following Friday, I noticed that the whole of the frontage of the airport was tented in and given over to Silver zone buses. The signage for other buses was virtually non existent, and eventually I found my way down 3 flights of steps and 3 ramps to the 'bus station' in front of the multi storey carpark.

Whilst waiting for a Falcon into Bristol (NB 3 pounds single if you show your bus pass....undercuts First A1 by 5 pounds and drops you at Anchor Road)I witnessed an elderly couple get off a bus laden with suitcases..who asked me the terminal was. When I replied "up there", they were horrified and had to phone for a taxi to take them there, as there was no way they could have got there, even sans luggage.
I raised all these points with a complaint to Customer Services and was promised a reply within 7 , then 15 days. After sending 28 emails, one a day for the next 28 days each receiving a new case number, I received a very grudging apology.
I also raised these issues with their partner ICTS, responsibe for security at the airport, but have not yet received a reply.
At 28 pounds for a hour long one way flight, the plane and service were fine, as was the Metro on arrival in Newcastle
Even at 170 pounds return using a railcard with XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) , a 6hr journey with 2 changes, I might even consider it after  the horrendous pre-flight experience, which seems to be the norm, rather than the exception these days.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 16:03:22 by chuffed » Logged
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2022, 19:36:14 »

I also factored in additional waiting time for them to clear security after landing. Not wishing to be bankrupted I parked up in a layby on the A38 near the airport rather than be held to ransom by the extortionate car park charges. I tracked the plane using Flightradar so only had to wait for their call to say they'd cleared security.

SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) did that at the end of May when she was waiting for me to come in from Dublin

The parking ticket turned up a few days later - she had not spotted the red lines
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2023, 20:05:31 »

I have recently returned from a happy couple of weeks in the sunshine, watching TV reports of serious rain and flooding back home, then sitting in some pleasant beachside restaurant with the local special and a glass or two to numb my sorrow for those left at home. The journey began with my neighbour dropping us at the Falcon bus stop in Cullompton for the ride to Bristol Airport. We arrived early to give plenty of time for the horrors of security. Within 5 minutes of walking through the front door, we were airside and running the gauntlet of perfume sellers in duty free. We took off exactly on time for a very pleasant flight and a quite remarkable landing in Funchal, done with aplomb using a technique I was taught as an emergency measure. Coming home was similarly punctual, even with a tail wind to help us on our way. We were out of the airport and on the Falcon two hours ahead of our planned schedule, and back to our freezing home in excellent time. I saved a lot of money on gas, electricity and petrol while away and am planning next year's sojourn already with a month as the target. The hike to the departure gate aside, I found Bristol Airport to be in superb form.

Mr Justice Lane is obviously home from his winter hols too, and has handed down his Judgment in Bristol Airport Action Network Co-ordinating Committee (acting through Stephen Clarke), Claimant, and Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, Defendant. Unsurprisingly, he found for the Secretary of State. Remember that this case was not a retesting of the case for expansion of the airport, but a judicial review of the process used and implemented by the panel of inspectors at the Public Inquiry into the council's decision to refuse permission for the expansion. BAAN had lodged the case citing six grounds of challenge to the decision by the inspectors, acting on behalf of the Secretary of State for Levelling Housing and Communities. All of the grounds were dismissed by the judge, who held, in short, that they had done a perfectly good job on the review, and had come to conclusions that were entirely reasonable.

The claimant's lawyer has said he may advise an appeal. I would if I were him - you don't often get the chance to argue a case you know to be hopeless in the Court of Appeal, and there's good money in it.

You may recall my earlier utterances:

Like others, I think this decision will not survive an appeal and a public inquiry. The council went against their planning officer's recommendation, and wrote a rebuttal of his advice. Any appeal will be based on law and policy at the time the application was made, so any new limits subsequently introduced will have no bearing on it. If NSDC's reasons did not follow national policy, they will be overturned. I hope they didn't turn down the application simply to appease the protesters outside the town hall, knowing full well that an appeal would succeed and secretly looking forward to the increased business rates and the chance to blame the Tories, because that is not an efficient use of council tax money. It isn't unheard of - look at Bristol City Council and the MacDonalds in Fishponds.

and

I'll stick my neck out, not very far, and say that any legal action will be futile unless the inspector is found to have had a vested interest, which won't happen. There is a six-week window in which to apply for a judicial review. I think the action group is more likely than North Somerset DC (Direct Current) to seek judicial review, unless the council can be persuaded to risk throwing good money after bad. This appeal will have cost them a lot of their taxpayers' money, and they may yet have to pay the airport's costs too. A JR needn't cost them more than a teacher's salary for a year, unless they try to turn it into a re-run of the flawed arguments they used to refuse permission. Bristol Airport Action Network's representative has said the group will be speaking to a legal team about the decision. I am sure they will find one willing to take on the work, for a consideration.

I believe I was right on all counts. I will again stick my neck out, again with no fear of it being harmed, and say that if an appeal is lodged and is accepted for hearing in the Court of Appeal, it will fail, and it won't take as long to throw it out as the judicial review took. The appellant would have to show that the Honourable Mr Justice Lane, otherwise Sir Peter Richard Lane, erred in law or was conned. Both options appear to be vanishingly unlikely. I don't know if Mr Justice Lane is related to the late and famous (or infamous) Lord Chief Justice, Lord Lane, but he knows his stuff.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 12:36:09 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: