Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:26:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Lorry driver crisis made worse by Covid - Shapps  (Read 6075 times)
PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 14:29:18 »

Compare and contrast a Greggs at a motorway services with a stop at a Relais Routiers truck stop in France.

Exactly. I mean how could French rustic cuisine hope to compete with a steak bake & sausage roll?

To be fair, I'll put in a good word for Greggs.  On the days when I go into the office I seldom manage to resist their morning offer of coffee & bacon roll for £2.30 and I've always enjoyed with what I've had.  No gourmet food but edible, tasty and good value.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 15:01:51 »

Of course if even 10% of road freight was transferred to rail, that would somewhat ease truck driver shortages.

And as for working conditions, it cant be that hard to provide properly equipped truck stops. Nothing elaborate is needed, secure parking, preferably with mains electricity hook ups. Basic but clean and reliable toilets and showers. And a few motel type rooms for those without sleeper cabs. Refuse bins and recycling bins. Outdoor seating. A small shop.
It would IMHO (in my humble opinion) be reasonable for the state to provide the land for free, but with the facilities built and run by private operators who could charge for use.

Yes, I was wondering if the RDG(resolve)'s words describing the "we mean green" campaign (or some successor to that) might evolve to claim coping with fewer drivers as a big selling point of rail freight. You know, those are the words no-one bothered to read as they were too busy arguing about imaginary issues of logo use or abuse.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 15:45:40 »

I have seen TV news reports of two recent "ferroutage" roperations in France, in which needing fewer drivers for long journeys was given as an advantage. However, that could be just a journalist's or marketeer's invention, and might not be what attracts operators to use it at all.

One was about the two existing routes from Perpignan to Calais and Luxembourg, using the system that backs trailers onto wagons at an angle - the top of the wagon pivots with the trailer on it. They were claiming remarkably quick turn-round times, of well under an hour.

Then there is the recent news of the restarting of the "primeurs" train from Perpignan to Rungis market, suspended by SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) last year. The reason given was that the refrigerated wagons needed to be replaced, but the declining usage of the train could not justify the capital cost. The state has provided some kind of revenue guarantee, and tendered for an operator last year, and the renewed service has just started.

Since loading wagons is transshipment it is likely to attract smaller producers who only have part loads anyway; those who can fill a lorry would need to be very close not to find it easier to drive all the way. But various things, of which the lack of willing drivers is one, might alter that. It also appears that this new service will carry containers, though it's not clear how from this report in EuroFruit:
The Rungis-Perpignan link had been suspended in part due to the dilapidated condition of the wagons. According to the ministry of transport, it represents traffic of approximately 9,000 trucks a year.

A call for expressions of interest was launched by the state in 2020 to select an operator to take responsibility for ensuring the return to service of the primeurs train and to operate it, with Rail Logistics Europe (RLE) winning the project.

RLE's offer is set to combine early-bird train and container transport on the rail motorway along the Le Boulou-Gennevilliers axis, according to the transport ministry. Consisting of 12 wagons, the Perpignan-Rungis line will run at a rate of five connections a week between November and mid-July, Le Monde reported.

In addition, I've just hit upon another rail freight operator with a Perpignan-Calais link using a different loading system (and terminals) for the trailers. This is CargoBeamer, who have terminal at Ashford too, and looks like an independent commercial enterprise (but may not be). Why, you may ask, don't their trains go a lot further up-country? Lack of government bribes, I suspect.

Stop press: this Ashford-Perpignan route only started last week, and (unsurprisingly) involves Eurotunnel as a partner. From RailFreight:
Cargobeamer connects French intermodal line to UK (United Kingdom)
Published on 17-09-2021 at 06:30

Cargobeamer and Eurotunnel have joined hands to provide a new intermodal service between Ashford in the UK and Perpignan in the south of France. The shuttle runs through the Channel Tunnel and via the new terminal of Cargobeamer in Calais. It is available for all types of trailers.

The service, which will start next week, runs four times per week. In total, the journey takes around 30 hours. This is four hours for crossing the North Sea via the Channel Tunnel, and 24 hours for the overland route through France. The latter route already existed, but is now extended with a link to the UK.
The journey

In an overview of the service, Cargobeamer explains how the journey will be done. “Trailers arrive by train to the terminal in Calais, the shunting to Ashford is done by EuroTunnel. Custom border procedures are carried out on the freight shuttle, by Cargobeamer and Eurotunnel. After arrival in Ashford, the trailers are picked up within 24 hours by the end customer.”

The unique selling point of the service is that it is available for all types of trailers, including non-cranable ones. This is thanks to the Cargobeamer technology, which enables semi-trailers of all types to be lifted on a train. Both Calais and Perpignan are part of their network. Calais is the first terminal that entirely runs on this technology, which makes the process more efficient...
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2021, 18:05:57 »

The service, which will start next week, runs four times per week. In total, the journey takes around 30 hours. This is four hours for crossing the North Sea via the Channel Tunnel, and 24 hours for the overland route through France. The latter route already existed, but is now extended with a link to the UK (United Kingdom).

Someone needs a geography lesson.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2021, 07:03:28 »

I have seen TV news reports of two recent "ferroutage" roperations in France, in which needing fewer drivers for long journeys was given as an advantage. However, that could be just a journalist's or marketeer's invention, and might not be what attracts operators to use it at all.

One was about the two existing routes from Perpignan to Calais and Luxembourg, using the system that backs trailers onto wagons at an angle - the top of the wagon pivots with the trailer on it. They were claiming remarkably quick turn-round times, of well under an hour.

Then there is the recent news of the restarting of the "primeurs" train from Perpignan to Rungis market, suspended by SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) last year. The reason given was that the refrigerated wagons needed to be replaced, but the declining usage of the train could not justify the capital cost. The state has provided some kind of revenue guarantee, and tendered for an operator last year, and the renewed service has just started.

Since loading wagons is transshipment it is likely to attract smaller producers who only have part loads anyway; those who can fill a lorry would need to be very close not to find it easier to drive all the way. But various things, of which the lack of willing drivers is one, might alter that. It also appears that this new service will carry containers, though it's not clear how from this report in EuroFruit:
The Rungis-Perpignan link had been suspended in part due to the dilapidated condition of the wagons. According to the ministry of transport, it represents traffic of approximately 9,000 trucks a year.

A call for expressions of interest was launched by the state in 2020 to select an operator to take responsibility for ensuring the return to service of the primeurs train and to operate it, with Rail Logistics Europe (RLE) winning the project.

RLE's offer is set to combine early-bird train and container transport on the rail motorway along the Le Boulou-Gennevilliers axis, according to the transport ministry. Consisting of 12 wagons, the Perpignan-Rungis line will run at a rate of five connections a week between November and mid-July, Le Monde reported.

In addition, I've just hit upon another rail freight operator with a Perpignan-Calais link using a different loading system (and terminals) for the trailers. This is CargoBeamer, who have terminal at Ashford too, and looks like an independent commercial enterprise (but may not be). Why, you may ask, don't their trains go a lot further up-country? Lack of government bribes, I suspect.

Stop press: this Ashford-Perpignan route only started last week, and (unsurprisingly) involves Eurotunnel as a partner. From RailFreight:
Cargobeamer connects French intermodal line to UK (United Kingdom)
Published on 17-09-2021 at 06:30

Cargobeamer and Eurotunnel have joined hands to provide a new intermodal service between Ashford in the UK and Perpignan in the south of France. The shuttle runs through the Channel Tunnel and via the new terminal of Cargobeamer in Calais. It is available for all types of trailers.

The service, which will start next week, runs four times per week. In total, the journey takes around 30 hours. This is four hours for crossing the North Sea via the Channel Tunnel, and 24 hours for the overland route through France. The latter route already existed, but is now extended with a link to the UK.
The journey

In an overview of the service, Cargobeamer explains how the journey will be done. “Trailers arrive by train to the terminal in Calais, the shunting to Ashford is done by EuroTunnel. Custom border procedures are carried out on the freight shuttle, by Cargobeamer and Eurotunnel. After arrival in Ashford, the trailers are picked up within 24 hours by the end customer.”

The unique selling point of the service is that it is available for all types of trailers, including non-cranable ones. This is thanks to the Cargobeamer technology, which enables semi-trailers of all types to be lifted on a train. Both Calais and Perpignan are part of their network. Calais is the first terminal that entirely runs on this technology, which makes the process more efficient...

There are advanced plans for Dollands Moor International Freight Yard to accommodate RoRo for HGV trailers, ie no HGV tractor (cab) unit and driver required to travel through the tunnel.

Brexit and then Covid have slowed in the implementation of this scheme.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2021, 08:37:31 »

So, today we've got a Govt. Minister saying the reserve tanker fleet is being utilised, with civilian drivers. Where exactly are the drivers being magic-ed up from?  Doesn't Mr Kwarteng know there's a driver shortage?

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) News - Petrol supply: Reserve fuel tankers on the road to help boost deliveries
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58729653

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2021, 09:55:11 »

There are an estimated 54,000 licenses sitting with DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) awaiting processing.

That's potentially a lot more vehicles on the road if the Civil service could get their act together.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2021, 09:59:18 »

Industrial action ingoing at the DVLC
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2021, 14:15:37 »

Industrial action ongoing at the DVLA

FTFY.  Tongue

I found them unbelievably efficient recently. Sold my car recently. Notified DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) online. Got my car tax refund cheque in 5 working days.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 17:05:27 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2021, 16:54:49 »

It's not just the French doing it - Tesco are also finding every little extra train helps. From the StokeonTrentLive:
Tesco beats HGV driver shortage by importing fresh produce from Spain by train
UK (United Kingdom)'s biggest retailer has started using a chilled rail service to bring fruit and vegetables into the country from Spain

Supermarket chain Tesco plans to transport goods and produce from Spain by train in a bid to avoid a shortage of HGV drivers.

Chief executive Ken Murphy said the UK's biggest retailer has started using a chilled rail service to bring fruit and vegetables into the country from Spain, helping to cut the number of trucks it has on roads and guarantee deliveries.

Rail services are regularly used to transport goods across Europe by Tesco has stepped up moves to import goods by train. From 65,000 containers a year on rail, Tesco plans to increase that to 90,000 containers by November or December to make sure its shelves are fully-stocked.
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2021, 17:46:16 »

Industrial action ongoing at the DVLA

FTFY.  Tongue

I found them unbelievably efficient recently. Sold my car recently. Notified DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) online. Got my car tax refund cheque in 5 working days.

I think it depends in the degree of automation required.  Mrs XP has just renewed her driving licence and it came back in a week.  I need an eye test and applied last September.  2 weeks ago I received the documentation to book the eye test; I have been without a licence and driving on the strength of a letter from the DVLA for over 12 months and I do not lnow how long they will be after I have had the eye test.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2021, 19:53:59 »

... driving on the strength of a letter from the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) for over 12 months...

Wouldn't spectacles be better?

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2021, 22:49:33 »

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2021, 16:24:54 »

It's been a while since I last had coke.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2021, 16:30:10 »

It's been a while since I last had coke.

Just say no. <sniff>

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: