Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
07:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 08:38:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] Okehampton
[85] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[82] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[77] The One-Way Wizzo
[56] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[49] 11 trains in a day - has anyone here done more?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "‘the worst train service in the UK"  (Read 1726 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 30, 2021, 08:46:09 »

From Durhamshire - in the Northern Echo

ONE of the region’s MPs (Member of Parliament) has blasted a train company after passengers were left stranded on the platform due to overcrowding.

Easington MP Grahame Morris has called the Durham Coastline Northern rail service ‘the worst train service in the UK (United Kingdom)’ after more weekend transport chaos.

Mr Morris hit out after overcrowding left passengers stranded on the platform at Seaham.

He said: “It is a second-rate rail service failing in its most fundamental function.

“The public has lost faith, and the responses I have received from the Government shows a clear indifference to the problems.

“Looking at people crammed into two carriages, standing on top of each other, it is easy to forget that we are living with a deadly pandemic taking more than 100 lives a day.

“As we have seen across the whole economy, the Government has failed to prepare and invest, and the public pays the price.

Is this MP correct, or are there even worser services?

Illustration (below) - not from the article but from lunchtime on Saturday 18th September between Keynsham and Bristol Temple Meads - mind you, the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) train from Waterloo / Salisbury that was supposed to be ahead of it had been cancelled.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 10:18:52 »

There are no doubt many similarly overcrowded services.
Hard to say which is the worst.

The so called intercity route with new shorter trains, and at weekends many of those cancelled ?
Or the suburban commuter route on which journeys are shorter, but crowding even worse ?

I suspect that we have already moved on from "capacity no longer matters because more people are working from home" and towards "the increase in passenger numbers is greater than expected, and providing extra capacity is more complicated than it sounds"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 11:39:07 »

Was Northern taken over by OLR (Operator of Last Resort) recently, or was it threatened that would be the case?

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 11:41:19 »

Arriva lost their contract to OLR
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 15:18:41 »

Durhamshire  Huh or County Durham?
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 16:34:01 »

The so called intercity route with new shorter trains, and at weekends many of those cancelled ?
Or the suburban commuter route on which journeys are shorter, but crowding even worse ?

I suspect that we have already moved on from "capacity no longer matters because more people are working from home" and towards "the increase in passenger numbers is greater than expected, and providing extra capacity is more complicated than it sounds"

An Intercity route with new shorter trains you say? - Why have you not mentioned this before?...

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 17:17:52 »

An Intercity route with new shorter trains you say? - Why have you not mentioned this before?...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 17:50:45 »

In my defence I would say that I have avoided unduly frequent mention of new shorter trains, in deference to those who think that,

A) Some of them are full length, and that in general train length and capacity are fine.

B) That this is a minor issue that will soon be overcome.

C) That people like me should stop moaning a get used to the new normal.

Or variations on the above.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 19:50:25 »

No offence intented broadgage. Just a bit of gentle ribbing. Feel free to do likewise!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 20:34:24 »

You could also define 'worst train service' in different ways. Overcrowding is one thing, a station with only one train a week is quite another although could also be described as having the worst train service.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 22:16:34 »

Quite a rare 78 that...  Shame
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 22:41:21 »

Gentlemen please....

To get us back on topic, I am a bit surprised that this is nominated, as surely this is one of the areas where Pacers have been replaced recently? I've not had a trip through the north east by train for a couple of years (perhaps a bit more), but almost everything that looked like a local train was a Pacer until recently. Perhaps it wasn't just the rolling stock,
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2021, 06:26:38 »

Pacers are nasty, but I and many others would rather sit on a pacer than stand on something better.
And a pacer is much better than no train.

There is more to running a railway than simply getting rid of pacers.

It is a bit like getting rid of slam door EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) in favour of networkers. "The railway" kept saying "we have promised new trains, and look we have delivered new trains" But passengers started to say that they got a seat on the old 8 car trains but had to stand on the new trains that were 6 car in theory but often 4 car in practice.

There often seems to be an irrational faith that new trains will cure unrelated issues, such as staff shortage or unreliable infrastructure.

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2021, 20:02:25 »

I travelled on that line last June. It was a 2 car cl156, comfortably full but by no means crowded. I wonder if on the day in question one of the local football teams was playing at home causing higher than normal loadings

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: