Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:30:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[77] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[72] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[70] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[63] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: The passengers are BACK!  (Read 11440 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 17, 2021, 20:51:01 »

Sunday, 17th October 2021, all between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.

09:04 ex MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains) ... + 10, -6.
Around 25 in the centre carriage of a 3 car 16x - estimate then 60 to 65 passengers on train
2 late off Melksham, 4 late into CPM» (Chippenham - next trains)

Exeter 'connection' at platform as we pulled in, but dispatched before passenger could cross over ...  I Rejoined the TransWilts train - lots of others joining too.

Around 100 off the train in Swindon (due 09:30, actual 09:33)
Doors already closed on the Swansea train due out at that time; had to wait until 09:34 but no chance to walk across ...

Waited in front lounge at Swindon ... 3 other passengers and a dis-interested customer host; no mask, no friendly smile.

Train has turned up in reverse order ... waiting at front (I have a 1st class pass just for the day) and boarded coach "A" at the front where I had been "told" to wait - almost whole coach showing "resevred" but no more that a dozen it it. I guess the rest of the train may be much busier judging by the number who were waiting in the stanard class area.

Refeshemnt trolley helpful - gave me my complementaries! Cheerful and engaging - first staff of the day who were (no TM(resolve) seen on TransWilts train, dispatch staff ignored passengers crossing over - not even a smile and a sorry)

On time into PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) ... platform 2, barriers open, no ticket checks
Fire alarm test alerted ahead - "Will inspector Sands please report to the country end of platform 1".
Busy!
Left on 11:03 to(wards) Plymouth. Suspect main train busy (train manager "on bust services such as this") / First had a sprinkling.  Also recommended face coverings. Train manager Mike.

On time into EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) and it looked very busy. Sunday lunchtime, almost as a normal weekday but loads of heavy bags and trains buzzing in and out.  158 (2) to EXM, 158 (3) to BNP (Barnstaple), 2xVoyager towards Edinburgh.  My 19:29 166 (3) towards PGN

166 to Dawlish Warren
802 to Dawlish
HST (High Speed Train) to Exeter St Davids ... all uneventful, no ticket checks

But then ... 15:40 to Padington cancelled; 16:11 to make extra calls at Westbury, but they will miss the Melksham Connection.  Customer Host Xxxx - nice guy, told me it was cancelled which I could read for myself, told me that Melksham is a difficult place to get to (yes, I know) and sent me to the ticket office, where advice was to catch the 15:53 and change at Swindon.  17:39 to 17:45 there feels a bit tight.  I asked "could I change at Chippenham". "The 15:53 doesn't call at Chipenham". "Are you sure". "Oh yes it does - yes, you could change there".  We'll see ...

Took the 15:15 instead ... to Reading, but about 5 late at EXD and 7 late into Reading - so 17:05 arrival tight and heartstopping for the 17:09 Swansea train which pulled in while I was on the transfer deck.   15:15 was 2 x 5 car IETs (Intercity Express Train), First Class shown as in the middle, but turned up at the front of both units. Fairly busy, standard looks very busy. Goodness knows what the 17:09 is - I just got on when the lady who was blocking the escalator with her cases got off, releasin a flood of late arrivals for the South Wales train.

No ticket checks on 15:15 (but there were freebies in First)
No ticket checks on 17:09. Don't recall a trolley, but I only did RDG(resolve) to SWI» (Swindon - next trains)

Swindon - chaotically busy. TransWilts train arrived with 38 passengers (I counter them off the platform). 2 car shuttle from Cheltenham came in full and standing. Probably a darned good job I did NOT take the initial advice offered in Exeter, as the 17:39 arrival was held outside and only came into the platform as the doors of the 17:45 to Westbury closed - and that would have been the third such failed connection of the day.

Front coach of 3 towards MKM as it's likely to be very much the quietest; not sure how other coaches are loaded. Circa +14 at CPM . -7 +6 at MKM - rough guess train left with between 40 and 50 passengers. No ticket checks.

MKM-CPM; CPM-SWI; SWI-PAD; PAD-EXD; EXD-DWW; DWW-DWL; DWL-EXD; EXD-RDG; RDG-SWI; SWI-MKM

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 21:09:56 »

We definitely need to find you a harder assignment next time.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 01:55:14 »

We definitely need to find you a harder assignment next time.

How about to Minehead ! Not only are there no trains, but road transport is seriously disrupted by road works.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 18:15:20 »

On a smaller scale, the Sunday midday (can't remember exact time) train I took from Temple Meads to Keynsham (a Parkway to Portsmouth train) was full when it arrived at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and full and standing thereafter. My first train journey since last February!  Shocked

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 18:35:13 »

On a smaller scale, the Sunday midday (can't remember exact time) train I took from Temple Meads to Keynsham (a Parkway to Portsmouth train) was full when it arrived at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and full and standing thereafter. My first train journey since last February!  Shocked

It is horrendous at times at the moment - horrendously busy and horrendously quiet.   Lots of rebalancing needed, but they have to know what to balance. A number of us were at the GWR (Great Western Railway) Community conference today, and various things of interest on this subject and others.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 23:03:16 »

I have been continuing to use the train for work (as I was through the lockdowns as a key worker) and I have noticed the return of passengers too. The 0805 Sea Mills - Bristol Temple Meads (0754 from Severn Beach) is once again very busy by the time I join it and I have noticed busy trains in other areas(South Wales, for example) too.

Dave
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 06:51:57 »

It is horrendous at times at the moment - horrendously busy and horrendously quiet.   Lots of rebalancing needed, but they have to know what to balance. A number of us were at the GWR (Great Western Railway) Community conference today, and various things of interest on this subject and others.

Overall however, a lot less horrendous for the vast numbers of people who no longer have to endure it 5 (or more) days a week  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 07:17:01 »

Overall however, a lot less horrendous for the vast numbers of people who no longer have to endure it 5 (or more) days a week  Smiley

Indeed - two coins with two sides.

Rail fare box income is down to 65% of what it was pre-covid (source - Mark Hopwood and Andrews Haines at yesterday's GWR Community Stakeholder meeting in Cardiff) and the Government is continuing to support to the tune o f £70 million per week. I note carefully that it's not passenger numbers or passenger miles that are being quoted, but income.

Passenger NUMBERS are all over the place - very thin indeed in the "peak", especially in the Thames Valley / outer suburban / commuter trains and up to 130% of what they were in summer 2019 in some places - the St Ives branch being quoted as an example of this.

But you have classic "double speak" now, where what is called the "peak" is no longer the peak time for travel, and "off peak" and "super off peak" tickets - at lower prices to encourage travel at the quieter times of day and in fact encouraging travel on the trains which under a normal description would be described as the "peak" ones because they are now naturally the busiest.  It's a mess!

Listening carefully to Andrew, fares will be set by GBR (Great British Railways) and changes have moved from "important" which they have been for years to "very important indeed" and also "urgent". I could speculate as to some of those changes, but I note "affordable" is the key word rather than "low", "cheap" or even "attractive" to attract people out of their cars ...

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 07:26:53 »

Rail fare box income is down to 65% of what it was pre-covid (source - Mark Hopwood and Andrews Haines at yesterday's GWR Community Stakeholder meeting in Cardiff) and the Government is continuing to support to the tune o f £70 million per week. I note carefully that it's not passenger numbers or passenger miles that are being quoted, but income.

Passenger NUMBERS are all over the place - very thin indeed in the "peak", especially in the Thames Valley / outer suburban / commuter trains and up to 130% of what they were in summer 2019 in some places - the St Ives branch being quoted as an example of this.

But you have classic "double speak" now, where what is called the "peak" is no longer the peak time for travel, and "off peak" and "super off peak" tickets - at lower prices to encourage travel at the quieter times of day and in fact encouraging travel on the trains which under a normal description would be described as the "peak" ones because they are now naturally the busiest.  It's a mess!

Listening carefully to Andrew, fares will be set by GBR (Great British Railways) and changes have moved from "important" which they have been for years to "very important indeed" and also "urgent". I could speculate as to some of those changes, but I note "affordable" is the key word rather than "low", "cheap" or even "attractive" to attract people out of their cars ...

Perhaps - but there was no need for the railway to wait until a crisis like this came along to attempt, in a meaningful way, to "attract people out of their cars", however it was always easier to sit back and count the revenue generated by commuters/business travellers money.

People look at the way leisure travellers are treated, especially at weekends, and understandably choose the car instead.

Years of missed opportunities to put this right have been frittered away - it could well be (if you'll forgive the mixed metaphor!) that Messrs Hopwood etc are chasing after a ship that has already sailed.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 09:21:04 »

Perhaps - but there was no need for the railway to wait until a crisis like this came along to attempt, in a meaningful way, to "attract people out of their cars", however it was always easier to sit back and count the revenue generated by commuters/business travellers money.

People look at the way leisure travellers are treated, especially at weekends, and understandably choose the car instead.

Years of missed opportunities to put this right have been frittered away - it could well be (if you'll forgive the mixed metaphor!) that Messrs Hopwood etc are chasing after a ship that has already sailed.

Don't worry, they are in hot pursuit!

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 09:43:58 »

There is always the mentality of the British public to consider. Ever since the demise of the loco-hauled relief trains in the South West, the weekend situation has been pretty much 'full and standing' most of the time. Those that have always used the train for their leisure getaways consider this as 'twas ever thus' and just put up with it. True, some folk will have been put off, but the 'regulars' will still be there. Those that run the railways know this and just trot out the same excuses..... 'Not enough stock'; 'not enough staff', yada, yada ..... and leave the status quo.

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 18:46:20 »

It's been my first conventional "9 to 5" commute today.

I have now done number of journeys later in the day.  What is clear today is that even on a Tuesday the peak period traffic is well down on the pre pandemic level especially on the Thames Valley services. The North Downs line seems closer to the old  normal.

I can only assume that there are more flexible working patterns generally emerging in the centres served the Thames Valley services as the car parks at Goring, Pangbourne and Tilehurst were notably less full at 8 to 8-10 am than I have seen them later in the day. Indeed Twyford's main car park looked full when I passed mid afternoon last Wednesday.

I had the slightly odd experience of being the only person on coach 6 of 12 when I joined 8.03 at Goring this morning.  How long will this last?

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 20:24:03 »

I’m seriously beginning to wonder how much longer it will be before the government bring back the decree to WFH (Working From Home).

Covid rates for the Points West region have shot up to rates last seen in January and very quickly so. In some places almost double the national average.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 20:46:22 »

My hunch is that we’ll probably just about get through winter without any restrictions being re-introduced - though I’ve already said it’s a fools game to make predictions, so draw your own conclusions!  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 17:56:39 »

Had to work in London today, got an early TfL» (Transport for London - about) service from Taplow to Ealing Broadway, then Central Line to White City - it was still very quiet on train and Tube, but there were a lot fewer people wearing masks, both on train and Tube.

Same story on the way home.

There was a BT Police officer at White City Tube station pulling non mask wearers over but they were all saying "exempt mate", and of course there wasn't much he could do - a lot of them seen to be laughing as they walked off.

Why do we share the planet with so many morons?  Roll Eyes
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: