Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 12:05:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[49] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[48] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[43] Return of the BRUTE?
[30] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Additional fare payable  (Read 2732 times)
Clan Line

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2021, 11:56:26 »

I wish to get the train to/from Heathrow from Westbury.

The most suitable ticket appears to be an Off Peak Return.......available at two prices: £76.35 or £81.70. The cheaper ticket is direct to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - which suits my itinerary fine ! However the return leg restricts me to direct trains also. If I buy the more expensive ticket I can return to WSB» (Westbury - next trains) on any route - via SWI» (Swindon - next trains) or BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains).

My question: If I buy the cheaper ticket and get to PAD (on my return) and find I have to wait 1h 59M for the next direct WSB train, what extra would I be charged if I get the next train to SWI or BTH ? Would it just be the difference between the two tickets or would some additional "penalty" be imposed ?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 12:26:05 »

I wish to get the train to/from Heathrow from Westbury.

The most suitable ticket appears to be an Off Peak Return.......available at two prices: £76.35 or £81.70. The cheaper ticket is direct to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - which suits my itinerary fine ! However the return leg restricts me to direct trains also. If I buy the more expensive ticket I can return to WSB» (Westbury - next trains) on any route - via SWI» (Swindon - next trains) or BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains).

My question: If I buy the cheaper ticket and get to PAD (on my return) and find I have to wait 1h 59M for the next direct WSB train, what extra would I be charged if I get the next train to SWI or BTH ? Would it just be the difference between the two tickets or would some additional "penalty" be imposed ?

My understanding is that you can "excess" the ticket - bump it up - and you will certainly not be charged more than the £5.35 difference. In fact, in some cases I think it can be cheaper to excess if your outward route is cheaper.  It gets very complex though, and not sure what can be done on the train and what would require you to visit the ticket counter.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 13:31:02 »

Clan Line - have you thought about taking the train to Reading and the Railair coach from there to Heathrow?
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 17:57:47 »

A change of route excess is half the difference between return tickets if on the return journey, make sure you do it a Paddington ticket office.

Return tickets - change of route in one direction only

Half the difference between the price already paid and price of the cheapest Return ticket, available for immediate travel that allows the customer to travel on the route and Train Company of their choice.

https://internal.nationalrail.co.uk/187064.aspx#route

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 18:37:50 »

Whilst it's recommended, you don't have to purchase a change of route excess at the station.

From National Rail Conditions of Travel:
13.2. If you make a journey by a route that is not valid you will be liable to pay an excess fare. The price for this will be the difference between the amount paid for the Ticket you hold and the lowest price Ticket available for immediate travel that would have entitled you to travel by that route.

From the rail industry's Internal Knowledge Base:
Change of Route
The Excess Fare to charge on-board where there was “opportunity to buy” before boarding the train

National Rail Conditions of Travel (Condition 13.2) permits customers to travel by a different route, from the one stated on the ticket or allowed by conditions of the National Routeing Guide, to make their journey on payment of an Excess fare. The Excess fare is calculated as follows:

Single tickets
The difference between the price already paid and price of the cheapest Single ticket, available for immediate travel, that allows the customer to travel on the route and Train Company of their choice

Return tickets - change of route in both directions
The difference between the price already paid and price of the cheapest Return ticket, available for immediate travel, that allows the customer to travel on the route and Train Company of their choice.

Return tickets - change of route in one direction only
Half the difference between the price already paid and price of the cheapest Return ticket, available for immediate travel that allows the customer to travel on the route and Train Company of their choice.

Provided you are still travelling by a permitted route you should not be liable for a penalty fare in these circumstances.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 19:45:09 »

Many thanks for the helpful replies and the "quotes" from the relevant documents.

I had thought about the rail-air coach.........very briefly. It doesn't seem to be exactly passenger friendly - I can get a slightly cheaper Advance single ticket to Heathrow on it, but that comes with a 59 minute connection (honest !) at Reading. Additionally, you don't seem to be able to get an Open return, so I would have to mess around getting a ticket at Heathrow/bus/Reading. The increased fare via PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) seems to be worth it just to avoid the hassle.

My last trip, pre Covid, I used the National Express coach from Salisbury (joined it at Amesbury) - absolutely brilliant, I think I paid £19 each way. Unfortunately, that service seems to have fallen victim to Covid, otherwise I wouldn't be contemplating the train for the next trip.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 20:39:00 »

Bear in mind that I said you should not be charged a Penalty Fare if you request a Change of Route Excess Fare onboard. However, there are no certainties when it comes to what should and what will happen onboard.

It is therefore best if you buy the excess before you make your return journey.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 10:26:30 »

Bear in mind that I said you should not be charged a Penalty Fare if you request a Change of Route Excess Fare onboard. However, there are no certainties when it comes to what should and what will happen onboard.

It is therefore best if you buy the excess before you make your return journey.

And on board staff are much less likely to be able to understand how to process a half difference excess than a ticket office should*.  As it's not something they'd do very often you're more likely to end up in a what will happen on board situation, which could range from paying the full difference, being let go or reported...

*if they can be bothered to enter the excess details correctly, their ticket machines work it out for them, but you run up against the 'I can't be bothered to educate myself in how to do it' attitude even though they have had plenty of training and access to help guides (both on board and ticket office).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 10:35:05 by plymothian » Logged

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 15:25:24 »

I travelled to London today from Templecombe. Day Return split tickets at Basingstoke.

My plans in London went awry. I was visiting the Queen pop up shop on Carnaby St to get a limited edition 7" Single. 500 available, going on sale at 1100. I arrived at around 0920, counted the queue and realised I would very likely be out of luck.

So, plan B. Over to Paddington for breakfast then return home to Templecombe via Reading and Basingstoke.

The pertinent ticket was a Basingstoke to London Terminals (via Woking) Anytime Day Return. Of the e-ticket variety.

Went to the Paddington ticket office. Change of Route Excess (to Any Permitted) purchased promptly and without fuss. Correct price too - half the difference between 'via Woking' and 'Any Permitted' for travel on the return portion. I'm a little disappointed that it went so smoothly. I was audio recording, had an Excess Fares Procedure pdf ready on my phone and had rehearsed answers to potential problems. Disappointed but impressed. Well done GWR (Great Western Railway)!

EDIT. Oh and I passed the ticket check onboard with no comment.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 16:23:04 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 16:01:49 »

Went to the Paddington ticket office. Excess purchased promptly and without fuss. Correct price too. I'm a little disappointed that it went so smoothly. I was audio recording, had an Excess Fares Procedure pdf ready on my phone and had rehearsed answers to potential problems. Disappointed but impressed. Well done GWR (Great Western Railway)!
Paddington ticket office must have had a tip off.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: