Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:15:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Two trains collide near Salisbury - 31 Oct 21  (Read 21647 times)
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2021, 18:37:31 »

POST EDIT, 02-Nov-2021: In view of the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch)'s information today that they are considering wheelslide as to why the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) train collided with the GWR (Great Western Railway) train I have removed what remained of the post I had put here.

Dave
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 20:31:17 by DaveHarries » Logged
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2021, 18:43:28 »

My thoughts on this are as follows:

<snip>

Can we please refrain from speculating! Let the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) investigate and publish their conclusions in due course.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2021, 18:51:29 »

There are informed suggestions that the GWR (Great Western Railway) train split in the tunnel - so the picture showing two trains from the front roughly side by side is of the second of two 2-car GWR 158s. When that happened isn't clear.

Let’s say this is correct, and the front portion continued past the signal outside the tunnel. Would that then release the previous signal, allowing 1L53 past the junction signal at amber? Just one hypothetical based in what’s been reported here so far. Yes, it raises other questions of course, but possible. There are zero photos of the front unit of 1L30, which raises my suspicions that more has still to be discovered. A lot more possibly
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2021, 19:08:26 »

<snip>

Can we please refrain from speculating! Let the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) investigate and publish their conclusions in due course.
Indeed but I resisted the idea of expanding further and so haven't said precisely what I am thinking. A colleague of mine at work is a former NR» (Network Rail - home page) employee though and he and I were talking it over earlier today.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2021, 19:13:45 »

<snip>

Indeed but I resisted the idea of expanding further and so haven't said precisely what I am thinking. A colleague of mine at work is a former NR» (Network Rail - home page) employee though and he and I were talking it over earlier today.

You said enough - and indeed stated that ' I won't post my conclusions here (although some may guess them)'

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2021, 19:29:40 »

In my view, speculation is fine provided that it is firstly reasonably well informed, and secondly is based on previously known facts about infrastructure, rules and procedures, and rolling stock, and/or based on reliable reports already made public by reputable media, such as published photographs of the aftermath, or published statements and press releases.

Speculation blaming an individual is in poor taste and might in extreme cases even be illegal.

But more general speculation is arguably at least partly what forums are for. The post by  DaveHarries is in my view informed speculation, incorporating factual data about infrastructure in the area, and is in my view both interesting and informative.

EDIT TO ADD (Automatic Dropping Device) that the post to which I refer is now hidden from public view. In my view it should be re-instated, but ultimately the view of the moderating team must be respected in such matters.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2021, 19:34:13 »

It may be worth further discussion….I’m also happy with discussion on infrastructure while not discussing persons and/or staff (so no personal stuff either persons or positions with the rail industry) which both my previous post & Dave’s was
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2021, 19:34:55 »

There will be no public speculation from me.  I await the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch)’s findings with interest.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2021, 19:38:43 »

EDIT TO ADD (Automatic Dropping Device) that the post to which I refer is now hidden from public view. In my view it should be re-instated, but ultimately the view of the moderating team must be respected in such matters.

It is a very difficult call indeed for me, for the reasons you have stated.   I have stated in my "snip" comment that I am seeking the views of the wider moderator team. Its removal is precautionary at present; it can easily enough be put back, if appropriate, but if I left out in place while we decide, those extreme cases of legality you refer to could cause permanent damage.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2021, 20:04:39 »

I await the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch)’s findings with interest.
As will I. My earlier post is hidden but I will keep my conclusions to myself. Apologies if I said too much: I will, of course, read the RAIB report also with interest and will be happy if I am proved wrong on what I am thinking.

Dave
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2021, 20:08:24 »

Thankyou Dave.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2021, 20:09:05 »

In my view, speculation is fine provided that it is firstly reasonably well informed, and secondly is based on previously known facts about infrastructure, rules and procedures, and rolling stock, and/or based on reliable reports already made public by reputable media, such as published photographs of the aftermath, or published statements and press releases.

Speculation blaming an individual is in poor taste and might in extreme cases even be illegal.

But more general speculation is arguably at least partly what forums are for. The post by  DaveHarries is in my view informed speculation, incorporating factual data about infrastructure in the area, and is in my view both interesting and informative.

I fully agree with your post.

The likes of the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) carry out their own thorough investigations, highly professional people. Not the kind who give up, retire to the pub trawling through public forums to copy and paste posts to compile a report.
Point the finger of blame at someone or naming individuals crosses the line but speculation based on some knowledge is in my opinion, perfectly acceptable, a lot of us have discussed and speculated all day in messrooms today.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2021, 20:17:13 »

The problem with speculating publicly is that there are plausible explanations that point to human error.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2021, 20:40:02 »

Thankyou Dave.
No worries although I remain hopeful that the hiding of my post is only temporary. If I had gone the whole hog and given my conclusions in the post (which I won't do on this forum or anywhere else public) then I would fully understand the hiding and / or removal of the post permanently. I realise that it is not my say-so though.

Dave
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 22:15:13 by DaveHarries » Logged
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2021, 20:47:58 »

The problem with speculating publicly is that there are plausible explanations that point to human error.

True, as with any incident there’s always going to be the possibility that human error plays a part to  a varying degree, but where human error occurs a safety system like TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) or ATP (Automatic Train Protection) should prevent incidents of this nature which is why this one has caused a good deal of debate.
I think we can all appreciate that no one sets out to deliberately cause an incident.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: