I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:52:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Two trains collide near Salisbury - 31 Oct 21  (Read 21646 times)
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2021, 20:08:52 »

Oh, and Clan Line. Cracking picture of D1015. A favourite loco of mine.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2021, 21:20:07 »

Second that BNM.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2021, 21:29:37 »

That hedgerow looks to me to be mostly rooted behind the fence. Encroaching onto the field.

I think you're flattering it by calling it a hedgerow. Is it all Buddleia?
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2021, 09:13:40 »

I was told by a railway professional, but would like it confirmed by legal minds, that the railway owns the land 6 feet beyond the boundary fence; this is to enable them to maintain said fence.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2021, 10:50:55 »

I was told by a railway professional, but would like it confirmed by legal minds, that the railway owns the land 6 feet beyond the boundary fence; this is to enable them to maintain said fence.

It would seem unlikely that they would own it - thinking of gardens backing on to the railway fence in lots of places, but they probably have a right of access and, yes, I can believe that would be a 6 foot allowance.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2021, 13:32:42 »

It's a problem for neighbouring farmers as that can decrease the productivity of the field alongside.

In urban areas, this will cast excess shade on small gardens, but also lead to a split of neighbour opinions: 'Please manage your vegetation' versus more or less rational takes on 'Trees.'
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2021, 22:41:44 »

I don't think that is the case.  The railways has certain powers in can use to access its land in certain circumstances eg a derailment but its not powers the railways make use of.  To access the railway across third party land contact is made with the land owner and times and terms agreed

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2021, 23:08:47 »

D1015 Western Champion was recently (Sept 2021) back out on Network Rail metals load testing with cement wagons in preparation for a return to use on mainline railtours. Sadly, she suffered an engine seizure on a trip to and from Avonmouth and has returned to the Severn Valley Railway for further work. Hopefully she will back on railtours in 2022.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 19, 2021, 09:24:29 »

D1015 Western Champion was recently (Sept 2021) back out on Network Rail metals load testing with cement wagons in preparation for a return to use on mainline railtours. Sadly, she suffered an engine seizure on a trip to and from Avonmouth and has returned to the Severn Valley Railway for further work. Hopefully she will back on railtours in 2022.

I seem to recollect that not long after I took that photo of D1015 she put a couple of pistons through the side of the engine block.
I love the second part of the video: With the foreshortening effect of the long lens it makes the "light" loco look like a little bubble car scurrying along the track !
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 21, 2022, 10:32:03 »

RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) have published an interim report, I’ve had a quick read through and it really just confirms what exactly happened and when. 

I think we had eventually realised that contrary to the mass media scare stories about “sitting ducks” both trains were moving at the first impact, and there were no preceding signal failures, or objects on the line etc etc.

Investigations continue into various things, especially rail conditions at the time:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1055846/IR012022_220221_Salisbury_Tunnel_Junction.pdf
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 21, 2022, 10:52:07 »

There's no mention in that RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) report of looking at the public statements made by NR» (Network Rail - home page) and others. In fact I don't think it's part of RAIB's remit, but it is a topic ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) have criticised in the past. I wonder if they would do so in this case.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 21, 2022, 11:41:13 »

I would have thought that most junctions would have had catch points fitted.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2022, 12:15:28 »

I would have thought that most junctions would have had catch points fitted.

Catch points are only generally fitted at exits to sidings or loops, or smaller junctions where two tracks diverge into one and catch points would derail the train into a safe place - not possible at a lot of larger junctions.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2022, 11:44:42 »

RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) have just added this paragraph to their page for this incident:
RAIB’s draft investigation report into this accident is currently being reviewed prior to the start of the consultation. RAIB expects to publish the final investigation report before the end of the year. RAIB issued an interim report in February 2022, which discussed our initial findings, and has continued to liaise with stakeholders, including the rail industry, as the investigation has progressed.

That consultation is, I presume, just the routine discussion of the report with the concerned parties prior to publication.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2023, 23:22:38 »

RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) have just added this paragraph to their page for this incident:
RAIB’s draft investigation report into this accident is currently being reviewed prior to the start of the consultation. RAIB expects to publish the final investigation report before the end of the year. RAIB issued an interim report in February 2022, which discussed our initial findings, and has continued to liaise with stakeholders, including the rail industry, as the investigation has progressed.

That consultation is, I presume, just the routine discussion of the report with the concerned parties prior to publication.

That paragraph was revised in December to predict publication of the final report "in the spring".
Yesterday it was re-revised to read:
RAIB’s draft investigation report into this accident has now been sent to interested parties as part of the statutory consultation process. RAIB expects to publish the final report shortly after the consultation process is completed. RAIB issued an interim report in February 2022 and continues to liaise with stakeholders on our findings and any arising safety issues.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
  Print  

Jump to: