Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:55 25 Apr 2024
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services within five years
* Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:05 Reading to Basingstoke
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
16:58 London Paddington to Evesham
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
17:05 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:19 Moreton-In-Marsh to Oxford
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
Short Run
12:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
12:55 Paignton to Exmouth
Delayed
12:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 14:07:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Integrated Rail Plan for the North and Midlands  (Read 3306 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2021, 08:20:47 »

Richard Bowker pointed out on R4 Today that one of the reasons for cutting the Eastern Leg stated in the document was that it would cause disruption to the motorway system as it crossed it something like 13 times.  Yet he pointed out all these local improvements will mean massive disruption to rail passengers for years.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2021, 09:08:16 »

Richard Bowker pointed out on R4 Today that one of the reasons for cutting the Eastern Leg stated in the document was that it would cause disruption to the motorway system as it crossed it something like 13 times.  Yet he pointed out all these local improvements will mean massive disruption to rail passengers for years.

I am afraid you lost me at "Richard Bowker".

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2021, 12:14:33 »

Welcome thought the change from New St to Moor St might be, isn't it a bit of a stretch to call the interchange 'seamless'? https://goo.gl/maps/ZUuppVWzK1bCNdFm9

I haven't read all the info yet. Are you sure that the interchange is between Moor St and New St, because that's not what your map says.

The interchange will be Moor St to Curzon St, as the map suggests. The arrival point for trains from Bristol and Cardiff will change from New St to Moor St. So changing the station will make it easier to change trains. However the interchange between Moor St and Curzon St will involve leaving one station and crossing a road to get to the other, so it isn't what I would call seamless.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2021, 12:52:50 »

He was criticising the government. 
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2021, 13:29:58 »

.... and making the point that by "upgrading existing routes", the users of these lines would suffer years of disruption that will further discourage increased use of trains in the north.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2021, 14:21:04 »

He was criticising the government. 

.... and making the point that by "upgrading existing routes", the users of these lines would suffer years of disruption that will further discourage increased use of trains in the north.

That's as maybe - but I'm afraid that for me personally, there are just certain people who I would prefer stayed in the sunset once they had walked off into it.

In any case, for an ex-SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) chief with his track record - which included a proposal for mass closures and service withdrawals in the North - to be criticising anyone on this subject is laughable in the extreme.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2021, 14:57:04 »

I know it is all part of living, as we do, in a healthy flourishing democracy, but I do find it makes me a bit queasy watching people seek political advantage rather than just sticking to their guns and standing up for what they believe in - even if I don't agree with them.

According to the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Labour is committed to the full HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) proposals and Northern Powerhouse rail, Sir Keir Starmer has said.

After the government announced its Integrated Rail Plan, the Labour leader said the scrapped sections were in his party's last manifesto and "that is our commitment" going forward.

Starmer was absent for the last two votes on HS2 in Jan 2018 and July 2019, but in March 2016 he was one of just 42 MPs (Member of Parliament) who voted against the High Speed Rail (London — West Midlands) Bill. 

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2021, 15:44:05 »

I agree with you but it is possible for people to change their views. Not only possible but good and healthy, to reconsider and change your position in response to changing evidence and/or circumstance. I don't know if that's necessarily what Starmer has done in this case.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2021, 16:32:38 »

I agree with you but it is possible for people to change their views. Not only possible but good and healthy, to reconsider and change your position in response to changing evidence and/or circumstance. I don't know if that's necessarily what Starmer has done in this case.

I think you'll find it's political opportunism, not least because many of the constituencies affected are those which Labour desperately need to win back if they're to have any chance of winning the next election.

.........all change at Damascus Parkway?
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2021, 16:55:21 »

This sums it up quite nicely.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/peter-brookes-times-cartoon-november-19-2021-j9h7khmtl
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2021, 17:14:17 »

Welcome thought the change from New St to Moor St might be, isn't it a bit of a stretch to call the interchange 'seamless'? https://goo.gl/maps/ZUuppVWzK1bCNdFm9

I haven't read all the info yet. Are you sure that the interchange is between Moor St and New St, because that's not what your map says.

The interchange will be Moor St to Curzon St, as the map suggests. The arrival point for trains from Bristol and Cardiff will change from New St to Moor St. So changing the station will make it easier to change trains. However the interchange between Moor St and Curzon St will involve leaving one station and crossing a road to get to the other, so it isn't what I would call seamless.
From the conceptual design of the improvements to Moor Street Station there is supposed to be a footbridge from the transfer deck that crosses over to the plaza in front of one end of Curzon Street. Although it is shown without a roof.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 17:20:06 by didcotdean » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2021, 17:39:23 »

I know it is all part of living, as we do, in a healthy flourishing democracy, but I do find it makes me a bit queasy watching people seek political advantage rather than just sticking to their guns and standing up for what they believe in - even if I don't agree with them.

Labour is committed to the full HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) proposals and Northern Powerhouse rail, Sir Keir Starmer has said.

After the government announced its Integrated Rail Plan, the Labour leader said the scrapped sections were in his party's last manifesto and "that is our commitment" going forward.

Starmer was absent for the last two votes on HS2 in Jan 2018 and July 2019, but in March 2016 he was one of just 42 MPs (Member of Parliament) who voted against the High Speed Rail (London — West Midlands) Bill. 

That would be because he is the MP for Euston Station and quite alot of his constituents don't like the disruption caused by rebuilding Euston station and HS2 into it.  He is doing his job and representing his constituents. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2021, 17:42:10 »

That would be because he is the MP for Euston Station and quite alot of his constituents don't like the disruption caused by rebuilding Euston station and HS2 into it.  He is doing his job and representing his constituents. 

Odd that he didn't mention that this morning when he was being asked on the BBC about his Damascene conversion to the HS2 cause?

I'm sure it's entirely coincidental.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2021, 18:00:23 »

Starmer was absent for the last two votes on HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) in Jan 2018 and July 2019, but in March 2016 he was one of just 42 MPs (Member of Parliament) who voted against the High Speed Rail (London — West Midlands) Bill. 

Odd that he didn't mention that this morning when he was being asked on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) about his Damascene conversion to the HS2 cause?

The northern bits do not have a lot of impact on his constituency.  It is quite reasonable to support the line in principle while opposing its impact on the area around Euston Station.  I assume he would have been quite supportive of stopping it at Old Oak Common for example. 
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2021, 18:05:36 »

Starmer was absent for the last two votes on HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) in Jan 2018 and July 2019, but in March 2016 he was one of just 42 MPs (Member of Parliament) who voted against the High Speed Rail (London — West Midlands) Bill. 

Odd that he didn't mention that this morning when he was being asked on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) about his Damascene conversion to the HS2 cause?

The northern bits do not have a lot of impact on his constituency.  It is quite reasonable to support the line in principle while opposing its impact on the area around Euston Station.  I assume he would have been quite supportive of stopping it at Old Oak Common for example. 

Indeed - and he did say this in his BBC interview (despite TaplowGreen missing it). Whether that justifies voting against the bill is moot; it was not going to get changed by that stage so the vote was pointless - but also no more than a gesture as only 28 MPs voted against.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: