Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 05:27:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Masks To Become Compulsory On Public Transport Again  (Read 5129 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 16:22:17 »

Message seems to be getting through. Got an early morning bus in Plymouth this morning, everyone masked, one girl attempted to board at a stop without one, driver asked her why, she said "I don't want to wear a f***ing mask" so he told her to get off, which she did.

Now on 1514 Plymouth-Paddington, seems to be virtually 100% masked, everyone playing by the rules (passengers and staff).

Encouraging.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2021, 17:55:12 »

A bit of a contrast with my journey from Montpelier to London and back last weekend! Both IETs (Intercity Express Train) were overcrowded, and on-train staff were requesting passengers to move bags so that all seats could be occupied.  I'd estimate that somewhere over half the passengers were wearing masks.

Maybe 60% of tube passengers were wearing masks.

On the return leg (a 5 car set), with three of my family at a table, someone joined us and I asked if he minded wearing his mask. He put it on, but another passenger nearby said 'Seriously?' in a sarcastic tone of voice and continued to make sneering jibes for the rest of the journey. All quite unpleasant. The train crew were in no position to help, as they could not get through the train.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2021, 18:11:54 »

A bit of a contrast with my journey from Montpelier to London and back last weekend! Both IETs (Intercity Express Train) were overcrowded, and on-train staff were requesting passengers to move bags so that all seats could be occupied.  I'd estimate that somewhere over half the passengers were wearing masks.

Maybe 60% of tube passengers were wearing masks.

On the return leg (a 5 car set), with three of my family at a table, someone joined us and I asked if he minded wearing his mask. He put it on, but another passenger nearby said 'Seriously?' in a sarcastic tone of voice and continued to make sneering jibes for the rest of the journey. All quite unpleasant. The train crew were in no position to help, as they could not get through the train.

This one always sums it up for me.....
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2021, 22:05:22 »

It would seem that many major supermarkets are not going to enforce the wearing of face masks.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59481287

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 22:37:07 »

I think that’s a fair response from the supermarkets.  As with public transport, staff should be encouraged to advise and remind (and set an example), but not enforce. 

‘Enforcement’, in the literal sense at least, should be down to the police.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2021, 16:09:25 »

Megabus Bristol to Manchester last weekend, absolutely zero mask wearing. Manchester also seemed to be generally a very low mask-wearing environment in shops etc, much lower than Bristol even. I wonder how many would be masked on the same journey this w/e?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2021, 00:43:38 »

This is, what sums it up for me.
(Examples of mask exemptions from the Government's most recent Covid advice - not an exhaustive list)

children under the age of 11 (The UK (United Kingdom) Health and Security Agency does not recommend face coverings for children under the age of 3 for health and safety reasons)

people who cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability

people for whom putting on, wearing or removing a face covering will cause severe distress

people speaking to or providing assistance to someone who relies on lip reading, clear sound or facial expressions to communicate

to avoid the risk of harm or injury to yourself or others

police officers and other emergency workers, given that this may interfere with their ability to serve the public

Memes about intubation are way off the mark.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2021, 07:07:57 »

(Examples of mask exemptions from the Government's most recent Covid advice - not an exhaustive list)

children under the age of 11 (The UK (United Kingdom) Health and Security Agency does not recommend face coverings for children under the age of 3 for health and safety reasons)

people who cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability

people for whom putting on, wearing or removing a face covering will cause severe distress

people speaking to or providing assistance to someone who relies on lip reading, clear sound or facial expressions to communicate

police officers and other emergency workers, given that this may interfere with their ability to serve the public

There are those who are genuinely, legally exempt, and there are those who've decided for themselves that they are going to be exempt, mainly for spurious reasons or because of an attitude problem - the scenario cited by Red Squirrel to which it was a response gives context.

......anyway back to more positive news - my trip to work yesterday was Taplow to Ealing Broadway (TfL» (Transport for London - about)) and Central line from Ealing Broadway to White City (and return) yesterday - mask wearing nearly 100% from what I could see, on platforms too.

A few young rebels similar to those encountered by Red Squirrel on the Underground heading home, sneering and making comments along the lines of "every farm needs its sheep", to which an older lady responded (from behind her mask) ".....and every circus needs its clowns", which very nearly earned her a round of applause!!!  Smiley

It really does seem that the message is getting through on public transport - albeit belatedly and/or after a slack period - every member of rail staff I saw was similarly masked too.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2021, 07:45:28 »

There are those who are genuinely, legally exempt, and there are those who've decided for themselves that they are going to be exempt, mainly for spurious reasons or because of an attitude problem - the scenario cited by Red Squirrel to which it was a response gives context.

......anyway back to more positive news - my trip to work yesterday was Taplow to Ealing Broadway (TfL» (Transport for London - about)) and Central line from Ealing Broadway to White City (and return) yesterday - mask wearing nearly 100% from what I could see, on platforms too.

A few young rebels similar to those encountered by Red Squirrel on the Underground heading home, sneering and making comments along the lines of "every farm needs its sheep", to which an older lady responded (from behind her mask) ".....and every circus needs its clowns", which very nearly earned her a round of applause!!!  Smiley

It really does seem that the message is getting through on public transport - albeit belatedly and/or after a slack period - every member of rail staff I saw was similarly masked too.

As I've said before, it is extremely rare that anybody tries to go maskless on trains here in Brittany, but one young lady did try it last night on the 1744 from Guingamp to Carhaix. It lasted less than 5 minutes after strong rebukes from two nearby passengers, with another turning round to me further up the train and saying "Did you see that? She wasn't wearing a mask!"

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2021, 15:11:53 »

Germany upping the ante.....I believe the unvaccinated are already banned from public transport?

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/germany-omicron-lockdown/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 10:07:17 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2021, 22:40:28 »

Not particularly pleased to see the F word in the above post perhaps TG would care to amend it .
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2021, 09:23:59 »

More than 150 maskless train passengers hit with £200 fines
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2021, 09:00:18 »

In case anyone new to this thread is wondering, with some trepidation, what the F word referred to above was, it was in fact…. Fatherland.  So hardly a reason to get upset.

But back on the topic.  I’m off on the train to Taunton later.  I don’t approve of compulsory mask wearing and I don’t like wearing a mask especially as I have glasses and hearing aids.  The evidence (as opposed to views) on their usefulness is a bit thin.

However, I will wear a mask on the train as it’s now a legal requirement and I’ve no wish to create difficulties for GWR (Great Western Railway) staff.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2021, 22:36:21 »

Its a shame that the current message from Govt is only masks. What's happened to the social distancing, hand washing, sanitising, and avoiding large gatherings messages? All equally important in reducing transmission rates and in some cases, more so.

Legislating only for mask wearing this time round, and in more limited areas of everyday life (no requirement in the workplace, sporting venues, entertainment venues, gyms, education establishments) is sending out a very mixed message. And it's likely to have little effect if new variants prove able to infect the vaccinated.

HMG are seemingly reluctant to spoil Christmas or further affect the economy, but Covid 19 is no respecter of a date on the calendar or economics. Scientists are already calling for more measures, but Boris is apparently sticking to his 'irreversible' roadmap. Foolhardy.

Masks are but one string of the bow. A decent bow needs more strings to it.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2021, 09:04:44 »

Its a shame that the current message from Govt is only masks. What's happened to the social distancing, hand washing, sanitising, and avoiding large gatherings messages? All equally important in reducing transmission rates and in some cases, more so.

Legislating only for mask wearing this time round, and in more limited areas of everyday life (no requirement in the workplace, sporting venues, entertainment venues, gyms, education establishments) is sending out a very mixed message. And it's likely to have little effect if new variants prove able to infect the vaccinated.

HMG are seemingly reluctant to spoil Christmas or further affect the economy, but Covid 19 is no respecter of a date on the calendar or economics. Scientists are already calling for more measures, but Boris is apparently sticking to his 'irreversible' roadmap. Foolhardy.

Masks are but one string of the bow. A decent bow needs more strings to it.

I wouldn't disagree with much of that, I think you'd have had to be living under a stone to miss the renewed messages about handwashing and sanitising but social distancing seems to have been quietly forgotten.

As for sporting venues, I was at Twickenham for England v South Africa a few weeks ago and throughout all the pre match messaging people were told to bring a "COVID pass" - having got through the gate, no-one seemed to be checked - friends who went to England v Australia said much the same, one or two were asked "have you got a COVID pass?" and when they said yes were just waved through without any checking.

At work we are told to don masks when moving around the building and only remove them when at desks which I think is the general rule but overall messaging from Government is mixed to say the least.

I think public transport and shops may have been identified firstly because they were areas where (for the most part) observance fell off a cliff once it became optional, but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of logic being applied in a lot of the other, similar environments you mention.

.................when is the Coffee shop Christmas party by the way? And will snogging be permitted?  Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: