Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:56:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Storm Barra  (Read 11662 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2021, 19:50:39 »

No trains at all during the next storm then.  You heard it here first.

I dont expect trains to be cancelled/delayed throughout every storm, but I do expect such cancellations when high tides coincide with high winds. Possibly for an hour each side of high water.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2021, 19:58:30 »

Ok, so complete line closures but only very short lived and only very occasionally then?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2021, 20:15:37 »

I've done an in-depth survey (alright, a quick shufti at Google Maps), and the only physical barrier seems to be West Devon's council offices, which they have said they would happily relocate. Some of the trackbed has disappeared into farmland, but actual demolition work isn't likely to take more than a morning.
I am afraid it is not quite that simple, as the photos in the anti-reopening blog piece I linked to last night showed.

So, aside from the council offices we also have:

Housing at the old Tavistock North Railway Station.

Housing blocking the route at the end of the Tavistock Viaduct.

Other issues the anti-reopening folk point to include loss of cycle/walking paths, impact on rural dwellings and farms, including the former Brentor railway station, impact on wildlife, the need to replace Meldon Viaduct, and the impact of new modern replacement bridges and associated permanent way and other infrastructure on the landscape and tranquility thereof.

None of it insurmountable in the face of precedents such as the Borders Railway of course, but perhaps not a given either.

OK, make it two days for demolition. It's hardly HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 19:34:58 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2021, 20:36:41 »

Ok, so complete line closures but only very short lived and only very occasionally then?

Maybe not quite complete, but probably no voyagers and no IETs (Intercity Express Train) which is almost the same thing as regards the average passenger.

Only perhaps for about an hour each side of high water, when high winds are also expected.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2021, 20:53:24 »

Maybe not quite complete, but probably no voyagers and no IETs (Intercity Express Train) which is almost the same thing as regards the average passenger.

Only perhaps for about an hour each side of high water, when high winds are also expected.

OK, so no Voyagers (as now) and no IETs, but HSTs (High Speed Train) and GWR (Great Western Railway) DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) will continue to run (but no extra ones in the form of a shuttle service). 

Thanks for clarifying - Seems sensible to me.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2021, 21:43:27 »

It is a prediction, based upon previous experience.
Voyagers failed to work in severe but entirely predictable conditions at Dawlish. And what was the result ? Modify the voyagers to work ? not likely, simply say "no voyagers in bad weather"

It was an "essential requirement" that IETs (Intercity Express Train) should withstand the conditions at Dawlish. They do not as multiple failures have shown. Will hitachi be compelled to make them work ? Not likely ! Simply say "NO IETs in bad weather" and avoid bad publicity.
Cancel services, or delay them until the tide goes out. All due to extreme weather. Just as Cross Country do.

After a while most passengers will forget that they used to get through trains even in bad weather. Those who DO remember can be told that this  is due to climate change and nothing to do with new trains.

A lot of money has indeed been spent on rebuilding/improving the sea wall, but AFAIK (as far as I know) this was primarily to stop it washing away, and not to facilitate the operation of faulty trains.
Perhaps D1015 should be kept on standby for stormy days.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2021, 08:06:29 »

I've done an in-depth survey (alright, a quick shufti at Google Maps), and the only physical barrier seems to be West Devon's council offices, which they have said they would happily relocate. Some of the trackbed has disappeared into farmland, but actual demolition work isn't likely to take more than a morning.

I am afraid it is not quite that simple, as the photos in the anti-reopening blog piece I linked to last night showed.

So, aside from the council offices we also have:

Other issues the anti-reopening folk point to include loss of cycle/walking paths, impact on rural dwellings and farms, including the former Brentor railway station, impact on wildlife, the need to replace Meldon Viaduct, and the impact of new modern replacement bridges and associated permanent way and other infrastructure on the landscape and tranquility thereof.

None of it insurmountable in the face of precedents such as the Borders Railway of course, but perhaps not a given either.

OK, make it two days for demolition. It's hardly HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)).
[/quote]

OK before we start dusting off the wrecking balls, deciding who's going to have their houses knocked down and spending tens of millions of £ of other people's money, let's remember that storms of this severity with these consequences are a once in several years event.

It seems to me really simple - there is normally at least a few days warning of these events - so when this warning comes through, GWR (Great Western Railway) instigate a contingency plan of;

1) Warning people not to travel unless absolutely necessary and offer full refunds for those who've booked.
2) Run bus replacement between Newton Abbott and Exeter and similarly warn people of the limitations
3) Don't run trains which can't cope with these conditions through the affected area

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2021, 10:51:14 »

OK before we start dusting off the wrecking balls, deciding who's going to have their houses knocked down and spending tens of millions of £ of other people's money, let's remember that storms of this severity with these consequences are a once in several years event.

It seems to me really simple - there is normally at least a few days warning of these events - so when this warning comes through, GWR (Great Western Railway) instigate a contingency plan of;

1) Warning people not to travel unless absolutely necessary and offer full refunds for those who've booked.
2) Run bus replacement between Newton Abbott and Exeter and similarly warn people of the limitations
3) Don't run trains which can't cope with these conditions through the affected area

I must admit that i never previously credited you with such boundless optimism for the future, TG. Have you ever considered a career in the No10 team? I suspect that a number of vacancies may open up shortly.

On the "other people's money" quote, I have a question - How many supporters of alternatives to the Dawlish status quo could reasonably be described as "taxpayers", and are they all members of a lower tier of "taxpayer" with lesser rights and status compared to "taxpayers" who support the Dawlish status quo, or who have no particular interest or opinion on the matter?

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2021, 20:10:44 »

All perfectly sensible and a good, cheap solution for the odd few really bad days,  but none of it likely to result in trains from Bere Alston to a reborn Tavistock Station.

By coincidence, I was in Tavistock today, and through the rain and low cloud, I thought:

... might have to be narrow gauge, and

...tight, but just about doable as a curve at low speed. It would be a unique view from the small window.

In the end, this is all going to be a matter for the good people of Tavistock, probably any bad ones too, to decide if they want a railway connection again, or whether they are happy with things the way they are at present. If a decent majority does, and I don't think 52%-48% either way would be good enough, then the local powers that be should redouble efforts to get the government to make it happen. Connecting Bere Alston to Okehampton is really another matter, and largely for central government alone to decide on. There isn't much in between with a business case for a railway. If central government decided to reopen it on grounds of diversionary route alone, which I very much doubt, a couple of houses and a cycle path won't get in the way.

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2021, 20:22:36 »

In a properly run world, "the railway" or some government agency or department connected with the railway, would keep an eye on that house, and purchase it if it comes up for sale.
Demolition perhaps years before the new line is built would be a needless waste, but the property could be let as a holiday home, thereby avoiding future problems when demolition is required.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2021, 21:23:47 »

In a properly run world, "the railway" or some government agency or department connected with the railway, would keep an eye on that house, and purchase it if it comes up for sale.
Demolition perhaps years before the new line is built would be a needless waste, but the property could be let as a holiday home, thereby avoiding future problems when demolition is required.

You mean like the way that Exmoor Associates buys property for reopening the L&B?
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2021, 07:22:26 »

It is rather more than 'one house'
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2021, 11:53:01 »

It is rather more than 'one house'
Money grabbing developers building houses on the trackbed is not suprising. But a council building it's offices on the trackbed of a former main line is just crazy.
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2021, 12:06:21 »

West Devon Council Offices at Tavistock! No one will shed a tear if that gets bulldozed.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2021, 13:49:44 »

West Devon Council Offices at Tavistock! No one will shed a tear if that gets bulldozed.

Not even West Devon Council.

Good practice in doing this sort of thing could be seen in Manchester, during Metrolink planning and works. It would take me a while to look up the notes, but I recall that very early on in the process to build the extension to Manchester Airport, the local authority bought 3 houses on the edge of a development that would need to be demolished. They then used them as temporary accommodation for homeless families for a few years, until the operational need to shift them came about. In Oldham, the first works on the entirely new tram route through the town centre involved the construction of a Baptist Church and a funeral parlour to allow the subsequent demolition of both, rather than having services disrupted by trams running down the aisle. As both were an improvement on the original, all involved were satisfied with the results, and protracted legal wrangles were avoided.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: