Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:59:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Plymouth Station - refurbishment, improvements, timetable changes, events and incidents (merged topic)  (Read 64374 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2013, 21:00:04 »

wouldnt you just end up flat on your face trying to board a moving train. Unless they've bought slamdoor stock to Plymouth with no door locks

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2013, 22:12:46 »

Always a risk of tripping and falling between the platform and train. That risk is even greater if you're trying to exit a moving HST (High Speed Train) through a droplight window as I once saw someone try to do at Cardiff Central. Needless to say they were taken away by the BTP (British Transport Police).
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2013, 22:24:34 »

I once saw a guy 'board' a 125 at Darlington by jumping the six foot platform fence, and jumping through the drop light...I guess we were only doing 15-20 mph at the time. It was ignored by platform staff and i guess the conductor was at the rear...bet he had a few bruises mind.
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2013, 14:10:52 »

What ever happened to the subway refurbishment they were planning. It's still the same deary and damp.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2013, 15:00:22 »

It's still on the way - happening by the Autumn, I believe.
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2013, 15:36:02 »

It's still on the way - happening by the Autumn, I believe.

Cool thanks, thought it had been abandoned. Smiley. I'm guessing its a standard refurb no major changes?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2013, 18:13:15 »

Well then.  To do a proper job and stop the leaks they are going to have to do some serious trackwork above to waterproof it Roll Eyes
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2013, 15:49:40 »

From the Plymouth Herald:

Improvements to Plymouth rail station completed

Rail passengers can enjoy new footpaths and safer routes into Plymouth rail station after the completion of an improvement scheme.

Developed by Plymouth City Council and its highways contractor Amey in partnership with First Great Western and Network Rail, the scheme hopes to better connect the train station with the city centre and has been part-funded by the Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) and Sustrans, the national walking and cycling charity.

Improvements include new footways between North Road East and the station, a new, segregated, off-road cycleway linking the station and the centre of North Cross, cycle parking, safer pedestrian crossing points including two new zebra crossings, new direction signage and better street lighting.

Work began in August 2011 and has been carried out in four phases, with a total investment of ^929,000.

This includes a contribution of ^668,000 from the DfT, made up of ^418,000 through its Local Sustainable Transport Fund ^Access to Stations^ project and ^250,000 through the Sustrans-managed ^Links to Communities^ project.

Councillor Mark Coker, cabinet member for transport, said: ^Improving this key gateway into Plymouth was one of our priorities and will benefit not only regular rail passengers but also visitors to Plymouth and the local economy. We are pleased to have been able to work in partnership with First Great Western and Network Rail to make access to the train station easier and safer, as well as give visitors a warm welcome and good lasting impression of the city.^

Previous improvements made inside the station by First Great Western saw the concourse extended and new customer information screens fitted, as well as works to waiting rooms and toilets. Early next year, the final phase ^ to upgrade the station pedestrian subway ^ is set to begin.

Station Manager Mark Chorley said: ^First Great Western prides itself on putting its customers first and supporting the communities it serves. We recognise the key role that rail travel has in supporting the local and national economy and we are delighted to be able to have completed this vital phase of work ^ with works to the subway due to begin shortly.^

For more information about the station accessibility improvements visit www.plymouth.gov.uk/stationaccessproject.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2013, 18:40:34 »

Headline : improvements completed
Text : except for the subway which will be started early next year

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2013, 20:19:25 »

Yes, I noted that when I posted that particular 'update news' item.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2014, 20:53:03 »

From the Plymouth Herald:

Ten-year plan for redevelopment of Plymouth Rail Station is now underway, says council

Council leader Tudor Evans and Professor Julian Beer

Plymouth^s railway station is set to undergo redevelopment as part of the council^s ten year plan.

As one of Plymouth City Council^s 100 pledges, the plan will be developed in partnership with station owner Network Rail, station operator First Great Western and Plymouth University.

As well as improving capacity at the station it aims to create a more welcoming ^gateway^ to the city, revitalising the area around the station and its approaches.

A council spokesman said rail was the most important public transport mode for longer distance trips to and from Plymouth and the rail station had seen consistent passenger growth of about four per cent each year over the last decade.

They added: "Footfall is now in excess of 2.5 million a year, compared with 1.4 million in 2002/2003 and the station needs more capacity to deal with increasing passenger numbers as both the population and rail use continue to grow."

The start of work on the plan follows the recent announcement of a multi-million-pound investment package for the city centre, which includes a new inter-city coach hub on the site of the closed Mayflower West multi-storey car park.

Recent work includes improved pedestrian and cycle access to the station, the extension of the concourse, new customer information screens and improvements to waiting areas and toilets. A major upgrade of the pedestrian subway within the station is also now under way.

Council Leader Tudor Evans said: ^Plymouth is the leading economic driver in the far South West and needs a railway and a station that are fit for the 21st century. A city with a population of 261,000 and growing, it also deserves a more welcoming gateway than is currently offered. This plan will transform the station and its surroundings over the next 10 years and create a regional rail hub that can better match Plymouth^s growth aspirations.^

Sarah McManus, Major Projects Manager for First Great Western said: ^First Great Western is pleased to be working with Plymouth City Council, Network Rail and Plymouth University to develop plans for the station. We know the importance the Council and the city place on good, resilient rail links and we are delighted to be part of the group that will now work together to take plans forward. We are currently working on a ^500,000 upgrade to the station subway. Formal consultation has also started on a timetable change that will see an earlier arrival into Plymouth from London.^

Professor Julian Beer, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Regional Enterprise) at Plymouth University, said: ^As a city with great ambitions, Plymouth deserves a transport system that enables residents, students and businesses alike to stay connected with the rest of the UK (United Kingdom). The railway station is a vital gateway to the city, and through the 10-year plan we are working to create a memorable first impression for all who use it. This is an important project for the University and the city and, combined with other recent infrastructure investments and expanding innovation and enterprise programmes, we are creating a platform for Plymouth to thrive in the future.^

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2014, 12:33:29 »

Hope the subway pictures are cleaned and refurbished rather than replaced. I think they are very appealing.
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2014, 12:46:05 »

Well I was travelling through the station yesterday and wow, the. Subway is better then I thought it would be. They have opened it up and doubled the area. The doors that went to the lifts have been merged into one and it's one massive area now. Really suprised at that Smiley. Couldn't get. Any pictures. But it's got no damp or dinge concrete feel. It's modern and fresh.

Need to modernise the central area and you have yourself a nice modern fresh railway station.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2014, 20:58:34 »

Well it certainly does look a big improvement

Hope the subway pictures are cleaned and refurbished rather than replaced. I think they are very appealing.

Which pictures were you referring to chuffed?  I cannot recall any others except these - which remain.

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2014, 07:51:05 »

There were similar primary school montages in primary colours on the pillars supporting the roofs of the main platforms, depicting the local area. Calstock viaduct springs to mind. Are they still there ? Thanks for posting the other survivors. Not often you use two meanings of the word 'primary' in the same sentence!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: