Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:07:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Plymouth Station - refurbishment, improvements, timetable changes, events and incidents (merged topic)  (Read 64360 times)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2018, 18:48:42 »

Modern cars are wider ....   

Wish someone would tell that to the nations housebuilders.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2018, 19:22:06 »

Modern cars are wider ....   

Wish someone would tell that to the nations housebuilders.

You want to put a car in the garage!  Shocked
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2018, 19:46:51 »

Many local authorities now require garages to be at least 3.0m wide to count as one of the required parking space

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2018, 19:56:40 »

Many local authorities now require garages to be at least 3.0m wide to count as one of the required parking space

The door opening you get in an 8x16 garage is pretty limited - are you sure that requirement isn't more to do with the increased size of people than cars? In any case, it leaves a bit of a reverse compatibility issue with, in particular, built-in garages.

Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2018, 12:42:38 »

Plymouth council yesterday approved £26m funding towards the stat ion remodelling. Work is due to start soon..

http://plymouthnewsroom.co.uk/plans-create-new-gateway-plymouth-railway-station-set-green-light/

There is also a new artist impression floating around showing a redesigned large new concourse which looks really smart.
the void

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2018, 14:27:23 »

Modern cars are wider - presumably to provide better side impact protection. Some are much wider than others and these do not fit well in previous standard 2.4m x 4.8m spaces (8ft x 16ft in old money). The 4 wheel drive models are a particular problem. This is a more of a problem in older multi-storey car parks where there is typically a pillar every 2 or 3 spaces so cannot simply repaint the lines.   

The biggest problem with the car park at Plymouth is the ramps to change levels. The curvature is too tight for modern larger cars and the walls are covered in scrape marks of every conceivable colour. It was designed for British Leyland Minis and Hillman Imps...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2018, 15:04:52 »

You can get a 1999 Vauxhall Zafira around said car park with no problems. I've done so. Bit bigger than Issigonis' and the Rootes brother's finest.

If you are careful and know where your four corners are. And I'm by no meeasure an experienced driver. Only been doing it legally for 18 months...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2018, 15:15:13 »

I couldn't help but wonder where on earth Plymouth City Council found a sofa big enough to find £26 million down the back of...

Plymouth Railway Station Regeneration Part 1 Briefing Report

Quote from: Plymouth Railway Station Regeneration Part 1 Briefing Report
Recommendation

To allocate the sum £26.75m for the project to the Capital Programme funded by loan, land receipts, corporate borrowing and a grant from GD3 LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about).

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2018, 07:45:20 »

Here's the link to the 'artists impressions' mentioned by Plymboi above:
http://plymouthnewsroom.co.uk/plymouth-railway-station-look-like/

Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2018, 09:43:12 »

Only issue is the concourse seems to be just a further extention of the current layout. The concourse is very small and needs major reworking in my eyes.  Also hoping the platforms are spruced up they are rather grim right now.

The escalators outosde going down are very modern and so unlike Plymouth and I love it. Makes Plymouth feel more of a modern up and coming city.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2018, 15:02:01 »

Only £5 million of that £26 million actaully comes from PCC (Police and Crime Commissioner) itself, the rest of that package comes from various other sources. As for the car park itself, well in order to create a station gateway fit for the 21st century and create a direct pedestrian access to the city centre the existing car park has to be demolished and rebuilt elsewhere.
Currently Plymouths semi derelict station is an embarrassment for a city of Plymouth's size and aspersions so the sooner this happens the better for all concerned.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2018, 16:10:37 »

Only £5 million of that £26 million actaully comes from PCC (Police and Crime Commissioner) itself, the rest of that package comes from various other sources.

I'm afraid this is incorrect. I've been in touch with Plymouth City Council today, and they have confirmed to me that they are receiving a grant contribution of £5 million from the Heart of the South West LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) and Cornwall LEP, so the Council contribution will be £21.75 million.

As is shown in this document, aside from the LEP grants, this will be funded by loan, land receipts and corporate borrowing. The council intends to utilise its property assets and borrowing capacity to lever in what it describes as "significant private sector investment".

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
woody

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2018, 16:03:17 »

Must of misread this article.
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/business/demolition-begin-100m-railway-station-1969115
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2018, 16:17:51 »

You didn't misread it woody - The article does indeed say "The city council has also pledged £5million". Wires crossed with the £5 million in total pledged by the LEPs» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) methinks.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2018, 16:27:50 »

Only £5 million of that £26 million actaully comes from PCC (Police and Crime Commissioner) itself, the rest of that package comes from various other sources.

I'm afraid this is incorrect. I've been in touch with Plymouth City Council today, and they have confirmed to me that they are receiving a grant contribution of £5 million from the Heart of the South West LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) and Cornwall LEP, so the Council contribution will be £21.75 million.

As is shown in this document, aside from the LEP grants, this will be funded by loan, land receipts and corporate borrowing. The council intends to utilise its property assets and borrowing capacity to lever in what it describes as "significant private sector investment".

Who actually owns/manages Plymouth station? If it's Network Rail, shouldn't they be picking up the bill?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: