Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:20:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 05:26 Weymouth to Filton Abbey Wood. How long?  (Read 3464 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 13, 2021, 13:10:08 »

How long is this train supposed to be?  How long was it this morning?

Reading Real Time Trains, it appears to me to have been 166216 (that's 3 carriages) all the way today.  Those excellent Real Time Trains pages say that it gains carriages at Westbury, and then loses carriages at Bristol Temple Meads but RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) shows it this morning as 3 all the way, and there don't seem to be any carriage movements in or out of the platforms at Westbury and at Temple Meads to do the strengthening.

With the loss of SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services into Bristol Temple Meads,  GWR (Great Western Railway) (in a Zoom meeting on 30th November) assured us that this train would be routinely strengthened to 5 carriages from the start of the new timetable.  I will admit to asking if they were sure that this extra capacity would be delivered ... and received assurances.  I will also admit that with a "work from home if you can" directive, and an SWR train that hadn't run in a while, there may not have been (over)crowding issues this morning, but I would like to follow this up just to confirm that the promise has been kept, and not just made in hope or to fob us off / hope we wouldn't notice when it didn't happen.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 14:01:54 »

Just the 3-car as far as I can see.  That’s what it was booked on the drivers diagram as well- though that was an amended diagram for today only, so might change from tomorrow.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 14:28:46 »

Just the 3-car as far as I can see.  That’s what it was booked on the drivers diagram as well- though that was an amended diagram for today only, so might change from tomorrow.

Thanks - on one hand I know I am being churlish in being "onto this" on day one, I know.  But on the other hand, GWR (Great Western Railway) managers assured us it would be 5 cars from the start of the new timetable, which meant today.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 08:20:07 »

Started from Yeovil Pen Mill this morning, with a two carriage class 158 instead of a three car Turbo. The three coach train that should have formed this service from Weymouth only got as far as Bristol last night “due to an issue with the train crew”. No sign of extra carriages added en route this morning.

A look at Real Time Trains indicates that there are no planned empty stock moves in the system at either Westbury or Bristol Temple Meads, so it appears unlikely that extra carriages will be added at Westbury, other than on an ad-hoc basis. I don’t see this as a great surprise, in light of the number of short-forms occurring recently on the Cardiff - Portsmouth axis, as discussed elsewhere on this forum.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 11:36:48 »

In terms of additional capacity, there’s strong rumours that an IET (Intercity Express Train) will be used on one of the Didcot<>Oxford<>Banbury diagrams to allow a Turbo to go West.  Late Feb, early March was mentioned.

One unit isn’t a great help, but better than nothing - but of course IET availability is restricted at present, so I’m not sure if it’ll be a case of rob Peter to pay Paul?

It also might hint that the 769 introduction is still a LONG way off.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 09:17:56 »

Started from Yeovil Pen Mill this morning, with a two carriage class 158 instead of a three car Turbo. The three coach train that should have formed this service from Weymouth only got as far as Bristol last night “due to an issue with the train crew”. No sign of extra carriages added en route this morning.

And this morning only started from WESTBURY and just two carriages.   "Yes, we HAVE added the carriages to the service at Westbury as we said we would - up from zero to two" ....

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 09:34:42 »

Looks like it's still just 3 carriages this morning?   Real Time Trains indicates extra carriages added at Westbury and taken off at Temple Meads, and yet previous movements at Westbury platform / subsequent ones at Temple Meads platform suggest no strengthening is taking place.  It may be academic with passenger numbers down again due to the next wave of Coronavirus, but it does look like our TOC (Train Operating Company) isn't even delivering on a small compromise it promised with the permanent reduction in capacity into Bristol Temple Meads in the morning peak caused by the permanent withdrawal of SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services north of Westbury.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 11:16:58 »

Looks like it's still just 3 carriages this morning?   Real Time Trains indicates extra carriages added at Westbury and taken off at Temple Meads, and yet previous movements at Westbury platform / subsequent ones at Temple Meads platform suggest no strengthening is taking place.

Looks like it's 'in the system' for strengthening, and given an allowance for that to happen, yet it isn't yet in place?  Perhaps the Turbo rumoured to be released from the Didcot<>Oxford<>Banbury diagram in the new year will be used for that?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 12:44:09 »

Revisiting this topic and doing some tidying up, I noted this in JUNE in FOI (Freedom of Information) correspondence relating to the removal of the through Waterloo to Bristol Temple Meads service, which at that time was a secret between the DfT» (Department for Transport - about), SWR» (South Western Railway - about), GWR (Great Western Railway) and Network Rail. - http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/011.pdf

GWR are planning to make the 0720 Westbury to Bristol a 5 car service from the December 2021 timetable change, covering the AM peak capacity lost by the removal of SWR services.

Haven't seen the strengthening happening yet ... moot point for the next month or so, I suspect, as we are again discouraged from commuting to work, but it's something, perhaps, not to forget.

The extra carriages are due to attach at Westbury and detach at Temple Meads ... how about - from the May timetable change - running them back with GWR crew to Westbury and then on to Salisbury and Waterloo with an SWR crew?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 12:52:52 by grahame » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: