07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
05:47 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
Delayed
06:04 Basingstoke to Reading
06:40 Reading to Basingstoke
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 06:42:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[88] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[77] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[74] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[62] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[56] A daily picture from my recent travels
[40] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying Scotsman  (Read 6485 times)
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2023, 20:34:51 »

Just watched it through Devon on 5 live camersa, technology huh!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2023, 21:23:48 »

Just another kettle working out of it's area...  meh...
Well one of us has to be a grump..

Oh ... have you taken that role?   Is there room for a second person who is less than excited ... but yet many people love it and, putting aside the t**ts who make it dangerous, let them.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2023, 22:19:55 »

All good clean fun. It was great to see today so many children enthused by a piece of 100 year old technology. They're the next generation of rail enthusiasts who will hopefully keep the hobby alive - recording and photographing heritage rolling stock, using trains and advocating for them, volunteering...

Here's to another 100 years of (not The) Flying Scotsman!

...and all the other preserved rolling stock of course. Wherever it may be running. I don't subscribe to this 'out of area' malarkey. I've seen a Bulleid West Country Class climbing Shap. A Deltic trundling through Shropshire. A GWR (Great Western Railway) Large Prairie in Essex. A Stanier Coronation Class in Dorset... All equally at home doing heritage duty.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 22:27:10 by JayMac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2023, 22:41:28 »

Final post about Flying Scotsman today. I promise!

Quite the crowd at St Blazey to see 60103 being turned on the newly restored turntable.
https://youtu.be/_wARt-kzgqE

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2023, 11:43:20 »

Here's to another 100 years of (not The) Flying Scotsman!

...and all the other preserved rolling stock of course. Wherever it may be running. I don't subscribe to this 'out of area' malarkey. I've seen a Bulleid West Country Class climbing Shap. A Deltic trundling through Shropshire. A GWR (Great Western Railway) Large Prairie in Essex. A Stanier Coronation Class in Dorset... All equally at home doing heritage duty.

Good job you don't subscribe to this 'out of area' malarkey then.  The 'Atlantic Coast Express' running between Waterloo and Exeter via Templecombe on Saturday, 20th May will no longer feature Bulleid Merchant Navy, 35028 'Clan Line', but will be in the charge of ex-LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948) Jubilee class, 45596 'Bahamas'
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2023, 16:16:33 »

Someone else will have to phot 'Bahamas'. I'll be in the middle of the Irish Sea on 20th May.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2023, 18:00:37 »

Someone else will have to phot 'Bahamas'. I'll be in the middle of the Irish Sea on 20th May.
In a parallel universe, a man and his dog are in the middle of the Caribbean, hoping that someone else gets a photo of the steam loco 'Isle of Man'...

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2023, 18:22:15 »

In a parallel universe, a man and his dog are in the middle of the Caribbean, hoping that someone else gets a photo of the steam loco 'Isle of Man'...

shouldn't that be "The Isle of Man"?  Wink
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2023, 14:40:12 »

Looks like modernisation may bring The Flying Scotsman to a halt.....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/26/flying-scotsman-future-doubt-trains-modern-doors/
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2023, 15:10:24 »

Absolutely pathetic piece of poor journalism,from Telegraph Reporters ,that means more than one who won't put a name to the article.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2023, 15:42:22 »

On this important issue of whether or not to use a definite article: it occurs to me that no-one bats an eyebrow when the first steam loco to reach 100mph is referred to as ‘the’ City of Truro, or an ocean liner is referred to as ‘the’ QE2. So I inquired of the Google to see what it said, and found this:

https://www.englishcurrent.com/grammar/definite-article-place-names-geography/

It seems that names with ‘of’ get a definite article, so that explains the City of Truro (maybe!) but not the QE2… The article also says street names never get one, which plainly isn’t true as I do most of my shopping on the Gloucester Road. Although today we got the train over to Clifton Down and pottered up and down Whiteladies Road, which never gets a ‘the’.

I guess the most important thing is that we communicate in ways that other people can understand, and try not to get too cross with people whose understanding of the rules differs from ours.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2023, 15:52:26 »

The article also says street names never get one, which plainly isn’t true as I do most of my shopping on the Gloucester Road. Although today we got the train over to Clifton Down and pottered up and down Whiteladies Road, which never gets a ‘the’.

I guess the most important thing is that we communicate in ways that other people can understand, and try not to get too cross with people whose understanding of the rules differs from ours.

Absolutely - as I will remind myself next time I walk along The Cut from Waterloo!

One of the delights of the English language are its vagaries, and there are too many grammar Nazis around these days - I think social media has encouraged it.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2023, 15:58:34 »

I was on holiday so missed seeing The Braunton going though the Templecombe station.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2023, 19:38:06 »

Absolutely - as I will remind myself next time I walk along The Cut from Waterloo!

Ahhhh, but that IS the name of the road. It isn't called just 'Cut' is it?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2023, 22:52:56 »

One of the delights of the English language are its vagaries…

It very much are.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: