Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
23:03 Marlow to Maidenhead
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 23:31:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ticket machines - designed by experts, for experts to buy tickets from?  (Read 1332 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 21, 2021, 07:45:00 »

From the Manchester Evening News

Frustration over 'bonkers' new ticket machines at Stockport train station

Passengers have described them as ‘awful’, ‘baffling’ and ‘very difficult to figure out’

Rail users have slammed ‘bonkers’ new ticket machines at Stockport station, claiming they often make it impossible to book journeys to Manchester and beyond.

Passengers have described them as ‘awful’, ‘baffling’ and ‘very difficult to figure out’, with many needing help from station staff every time they wish to travel.

The issue has been taken up by Edgeley councillor Matt Wynne, who has said it is ‘beyond belief’ the machines were signed off - and that serious questions now need to be asked.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 19:48:18 »

Last time I tried to use TfW's ticket machines at Neath, I gave up. Couldn't find the button for using a Two Together Railcard. It had clearly been designed to be user-friendly, i.e. crippled. Fortunately the booking office guy got back from his break just as I was giving up.

Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 21:03:12 »

My experience of Trowbridge booking office is that the staff there and their machines are incredibly slick - transactions complete including payment within a few seconds.

At the other end of the experience: buying tickets from a machine at an unmanned station somewhere in Europe; an ordeal that took about 15 minutes. Why?
  • It was an international journey
  • The age limit for child fare in each country was different
  • It emerged that the correct age limit was neither- international had its own age limit
  • I wanted to purchase more than one ticket
  • The method for selecting more than one passenger disappeared when "return" was selected
  • After experimentation, I found that return tickets had a separate way for purchasing multiples; something like a "more of the same" at the end of the selection process

I could be grateful that it took only 15 minutes and that I had tickets at the end for my international journey. This is a much better experience than I had online with Eurostar, which outfit did not in the end receive my custom.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 06:52:52 »

On Reading station you can't buy two (or more?) tickets with Senior Railcard from the machines. Obviously older people are imagined to be lone travellers.

Much like supermarket checkouts, which in general appeared to be designed by people who never use them, or go shopping.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 09:02:23 »

Designed in. You are responsible for confirming your own railcard but can’t be held responsible for confirming someone else’s.

The same at a ticket office. Theyvwill want to see both railcards before sellingbtwo discounted tickets.
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 09:10:10 »

Designed in. You are responsible for confirming your own railcard but can’t be held responsible for confirming someone else’s.

The same at a ticket office. Theyvwill want to see both railcards before sellingbtwo discounted tickets.

But I can buy 2 tickets together online with railcards.  The railcards will only be seen if their is a ticket check on the train
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 15:52:41 »

But I can buy 2 tickets together online with railcards.  The railcards will only be seen if their is a ticket check on the train

That might depend on the attitude of the staff at each station.

On a recent trip to Brighton for a funeral, they were quite happy to sell me two tickets, both with Senior Railcards, purely on my say-so that both passengers were entitled.

Besides, is the onus not on the passeger to ensure they have a valid ticket for the journey? If someone is using any discounted ticket (railcard, child rate etc) to which they are not entitled, it will be them who will get picked up for it on a ticket check. I am not quite sure how the booking office staff can be held resposibe, epecially given the amount of "dodgy" child tickets that are sold.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 18:02:50 »

I've made several trips in the past couple of months with my son, who has a 16-17 Saver Railcard. Tickets have been bought online, at TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) and at windows. His card has never been checked on purchase nor on the train.

But we were talking about TVMs generally not about railcards. It must be quite difficult to hit the sweet spot between offering too many choices and baffling people and offering a slimmed-down menu that omits things which the experienced and/or informed know about (and which might also be beneficial to the less experienced and/or informed, if they knew about them – and a vending machine probably isn't the best environment in which to learn).

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: