Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:51:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Taunton  (Read 4198 times)
Clan Line

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2021, 08:37:28 »

I suppose the well-heeled locals will soon be demanding a better rail service.................... Wink Wink

Telegraph
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 13:12:22 »

The average price is proberbly being distorted by a lower than normal number of propertys on the market. Then somebody building things like this.
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/114320060#/?channel=RES_NEW
Looks like a development of 5 new builds at more than 1 Million each.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 14:45:44 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) were reporting LIVE from Taunton City centre on Thursdays breakfast news about the above item.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 22:16:50 »

Off topic....apart from being in Taunton.
Not really enough for a new thread but worth a mention due to some quick thinking almost certainly saving a life at Taunton Station.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/30/trainspotter-son-nine-save-man-taunton-station
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 12:44:38 »

Taunton is hardly rural.

It's a large town with a terrible traffic problem, pockets of abject poverty, and a town centre that is dying on its arse.

I love the place!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 14:48:20 »

Taunton is hardly rural.

It's a large town with a terrible traffic problem, pockets of abject poverty, and a town centre that is dying on its arse.

I love the place!

And if it starts getting gentrificated, due to incomers with more money and metropolitan ideas of what to spend it on?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 17:57:21 by stuving » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 14:57:17 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) were reporting LIVE from Taunton City centre on Thursdays breakfast news about the above item.

"City" Centre?  Smiley
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 16:51:10 »

As is well known, Taunton has one railway station, on the main line to the West.

Did Taunton ever have TWO stations ? I note that the WSR tend to refer to the present station as "Taunton Castleway" which might imply that there was once another Taunton station.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 17:25:23 »

Did Taunton ever have TWO stations ?

Vivary Park station? - http://www.tauntonme.org.uk/vivarypark.html
Firepool station? - http://offthebeatentrackinsomerset.blogspot.com/2016/05/pumping-station-firepool-taunton.html
I think there used to be a bus station too ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 22:14:25 »

Taunton is hardly rural.

I love the place!

And for a bonus point, does anyone know what new regulation was introduced following the fairly recent tragic death of a young child in or near Taunton ? Not railway related.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 23:19:06 »

One from the Broadgage new year quiz - light hearted edition!   Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 13:19:38 »

And for a bonus point, does anyone know what new regulation was introduced following the fairly recent tragic death of a young child in or near Taunton ? Not railway related.
Changes to the building regulations relating to hot water supply and systems, specifically a requirement that hot water storage systems must include a feature which  prevents the temperature of the stored water exceeding 100 degrees C and that any discharge safety devices must be to a location where it is visible but not cause danger to people in the building.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 23:20:23 »

Indeed, new electric immersion heaters must now have a limit stat in addition to the normal adjustable control stat. To prevent the water boiling if one thermostat fails.

In the tragedy to which I referred, the water in the hot water cylinder boiled and the resulting steam and boiling water were vented into the plastic cold water cistern. This was only intended for cold water and split when filled with boiling water.

The deluge of very hot water poured through a bedroom ceiling and scalded a young child who later died as a result.

Similar accidents had occurred previously but without loss of life.

Existing immersion heaters without the limit thermostat may continue in service, but many would consider it best practice to replace them. Especially if the feed and expansion tank is plastic.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2022, 08:06:36 »

Changes to the building regulations relating to hot water supply and systems, specifically a requirement that hot water storage systems must include a feature which  prevents the temperature of the stored water exceeding 100 degrees C and that any discharge safety devices must be to a location where it is visible but not cause danger to people in the building.

Indeed there was an additional change that required the proper support of the header tank so that it would not fall off its sup[port if the plastic softened. Those changes to the requirement G3 and associated guidance were not just confined to electric immersion heaters (they were the easy ones as immersion heaters were already available that had overheat cutouts) changes had to be made to gas, oil and solid fuel systems as well.

Changes also took into account the risk of explosion when restarting a frozen system.  That followed an incident in Devizes (IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly)) when a couple returning from a winter holiday lit their solid fuel boiler and fortunately then went shopping.  They came back with their shopping to find the house had blown up (the roof had lifted off and dropped back on). 

I worked on the team that advised government on the changes. 
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2022, 15:01:42 »

Indeed, new electric immersion heaters must now have a limit stat in addition to the normal adjustable control stat. To prevent the water boiling if one thermostat fails.

In the tragedy to which I referred, the water in the hot water cylinder boiled and the resulting steam and boiling water were vented into the plastic cold water cistern. This was only intended for cold water and split when filled with boiling water.

The deluge of very hot water poured through a bedroom ceiling and scalded a young child who later died as a result.

Similar accidents had occurred previously but without loss of life.

Existing immersion heaters without the limit thermostat may continue in service, but many would consider it best practice to replace them. Especially if the feed and expansion tank is plastic.

I had an encounter with this in 1998. Early one Sunday morning I heard an unfamiliar rushing water sound, and found that the hot tank was very hot and water was "pumping over" - up the vent pipe into the header cistern, pushing slightly less hot water down into the tank. The water had not reached boiling point, and the cistern was over a stairwell, but it was still very worrying given that the cistern is made of PVC.

I'd replaced a failed immersion heater the year before, and the whole system was replaced by the end of the year. I think the replacement still had no safety cut-out, and I replaced it a few years later with one that did. I rarely used the immersion in the new system, but was now primed to spot news on the subject.

In 2003, CIPHE* put out a guidance note that started "On 30th May 2003, two occupants of a house in Penzance were scalded by a large quantity of high temperature water that poured through their bedroom ceiling. One later died from the injuries received." There was a public campaign to change the regulations from then, though that does not mean work in committees only started then (though such events usually do impact the work).

It identified two factors in this accident:
1. the immersion thermostat failed "on" (unsafe)
2. "The standard for the cold water cistern in the roofspace required that it be tested to withstand up to 500 hours without deforming, if fully supported across its entire base area." In this case the platform for a cistern 600 mm wide was only 400 mm.

That heat tolerance of PVC cisterns is a bit surprising, though you can never be sure that older ones would meet the current BS (which was probably not compulsory anyway). The requirement for full-width support was already in force but in the Water Regulations, for which there is even less enforcement than for the building regulations.

At that time thermostats with a cut-out (RDT type) existed but were not very common. In 2007 my local building control department put out a news item that started "Following the tragic death of a baby in Somerset", which I guess is the one in Taunton. This was based on advice from HSE (Health and Safety Executive), who don't have any direct role in safety in homes, to fit replacements of the new type.

The words Zoe quoted from requirement G3 were already in place long before - tightened up slightly in 1992. They related to unvented systems (which don't have a header cistern) then, and were widened to include vented ones in 2010 (the first version or 2009 draft). At the same time the reference to full support was added - presumably this was the revision that ellendune was involved in. Subsequently a further tightening has required non-resetting cut-outs for direct (e.g. immersion) heating but not indirect (e.g. solar) heat sources.

So there are several sources for such safety rules, none of them retroactive. Even for replacement, something fairly easy to do, the most effective enforcement is for shops not to stock the out-of-date ones. That can come from product sale regulations, from retailers' policy choices, from the trade not buying them (so they are not worth selling), and all that is prompted by building and water regulations and standards.

Or at least that was the case - now with online "shops", stocking things rarely bought (and never by the trade), and meeting no standard, can be worth doing. If you can offer an out-of-date part with a number that matches the failed one, it's likely to pick up quite a few hits from those with less expert knowledge.

*Institute of Plumbers at the time
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: