I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:07:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: 2022 - TransWilts cancellations and amendments log  (Read 44655 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2022, 11:46:11 »

While any cancellation is regrettable (and more) the commitment to the “service which leaves Westbury at around 07:30 and the service back just after 17:30” applies to weekday services. 

Today is a weekday, right?    What has gone wrong with the commitment - is it worth the paper it was written on??

16:25 Westbury to Swindon due 17:08
17:36 Swindon to Westbury due 18:19
18:34 Westbury to Swindon due 19:21

18:34 Westbury to Swindon due 19:21 will be cancelled.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2022, 13:37:54 »

If we accept that GWR (Great Western Railway)'s explanation is genuine (shortage of train crew), how would you suggest that the commitment to prioritise that particular service is kept today?

Judging by previous posts the commitment was "prioritise" rather than "guarantee"?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2022, 13:59:37 »

If we accept that GWR (Great Western Railway)'s explanation is genuine (shortage of train crew), how would you suggest that the commitment to prioritise that particular service is kept today?

Judging by previous posts the commitment was "prioritise" rather than "guarantee"?

1. I understand that there are only a limited number of crew who are familiar with the route via Melksham and I would suggest they train up at least a handful more.  The crew shortage may well be a shortage of staff who know that line today, judging by few other services effected.

2. I would suggest they staff up to crew numbers needed to run their daily services

3. On a short term basis only, I would suggest that a round trip on a line with multiple trains per hour is not run - perhaps the 17:11 Westbury to Warminster (I hate to chose a particular train) with an extra stop made in the train 17:05 from Westbury (I think I have those times right - but limited connectivity).

In January, GWR withdrew some trains as a "temporary" measure on the Swindon to Westbury line and they are still not all restored ... we have accepted this to help make remaining services robust, and, really, on such a poor, thin service anyway that should be enough.  It's a very poor show indeed where GWR not only pull other services because of a staff shortage we are already being penalised for, but those other services are the key promised prioritised one.  It does, of course, look very much easier for GWR staff who are making difficult decisions to pull a round trip or two on a diagram that starts and ends at the same place rather than something more complex - but making an easy decision is not necessarily making the right decision for the customers.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2022, 14:04:01 »

Didn’t someone say that Fratton crews would be route learning the route through Melksham as they will be losing their Brighton work soon?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2022, 14:10:20 »

Didn’t someone say that Fratton crews would be route learning the route through Melksham as they will be losing their Brighton work soon?

Yes - that's (part of?) my point 1.  Welcome, but always the promise from GWR (Great Western Railway) feels like "Jam tomorrow" - problems on a far, far more regular basis on the TransWilts line than elsewhere that should have been nipped on the bud and not allowed to grow to four or six hour gaps every week.

edit to add - here's a map showing current GWR cancellation - pretty typical so see the Swindon to Westbury service highlighting!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 14:28:39 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2022, 14:18:00 »

A hourly Devon Metro service to Taunton using the platform space vacated by the extended Cardiff trains maybe from Axminster would supplement the service giving each station a half hourly service. Axminster-Exeter would also benefit from a half hourly service.

Good luck to them ... if it actually happen and runs.  Cullompton, population 8,000 and Wellington, population 14,000 - makes sense.  Just as a 30 minute service would make sense for Melksham, population 25,000. Even a robust service every hour, rather than a flakey one every 2 or 3 hours if it runs, would be welcome.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2022, 16:20:29 »

Another one gone....

20:45 Swindon to Westbury due 21:26 will be cancelled.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2022, 17:24:36 »

Another one gone....

20:45 Swindon to Westbury due 21:26 will be cancelled.

Not a surprise.   It seems that a couple the trains do have replacement buses, and indeed that the buses are able to run all the way in the train's timings (even if leaving out Trowbridge).   Now that is spectacularly good running ...

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2022, 21:39:06 »

I debated whether to take the train from Melksham to Swindon this afternoon for curry night with bobm. With the plan being to catch the 2045 back.

Without checking train running I decided to drive instead. Glad I did.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2022, 21:55:29 »

I debated whether to take the train from Melksham to Swindon this afternoon for curry night with bobm. With the plan being to catch the 2045 back.

Without checking train running I decided to drive instead. Glad I did.

A sad reflection of how unreliable the service is that even out most ardent supporters have second thoughts about using it.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2022, 06:26:07 »

Not quite the "TransWilts" section.   South of Salisbury, at least, there's an SWR» (South Western Railway - about) train 15 minutes later and this week - being school holidays - not the usual termtime capacity issue.

06:11 Swindon to Southampton Central due 08:09

06:11 Swindon to Southampton Central due 08:09 will be terminated at Westbury.
It will no longer call at Dilton Marsh, Warminster, Salisbury, Romsey and Southampton Central.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2022, 07:04:34 »

08:11 Warminster to Swindon due 09:03
09:13 Swindon to Westbury due 09:54

09:13 Swindon to Westbury due 09:54 will be cancelled.

"Never mind - it's a Sunday so we won't prioritise this train"

"Why should we provide any alternative suggestion - we'll give you your money back"

"You could wait for the next train from Westbury at 12:45 .... sure your boss in Swindon will understand"

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2022, 07:42:41 »

08:11 Warminster to Swindon due 09:03
09:13 Swindon to Westbury due 09:54

09:13 Swindon to Westbury due 09:54 will be cancelled.

"Never mind - it's a Sunday so we won't prioritise this train"

"Why should we provide any alternative suggestion - we'll give you your money back"

"You could wait for the next train from Westbury at 12:45 .... sure your boss in Swindon will understand"

With the 8.46 to Cardiff canned between Westbury and Bristol, those needing to get to Bath or Bristol for work from Westbury, Trowbridge, Bradford on Avon and other smaller stations in between are a bit stuck also. Once again showing, if you work on a Sunday in this part of the world, you cannot rely on the train to get you there.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2022, 08:12:28 »

For the record the 08:46 has been re-instated in the last half hour but probably won't be spotted by most intending to travel.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2022, 10:01:00 »

For the record the 08:46 has been re-instated in the last half hour but probably won't be spotted by most intending to travel.

Correct, BobM in stating that it wouldn't have been spotted.   Even a long way from home, I'm hearing from dispirited users saying "and even via Bath that train is cancelled too" ...

I have (reluctantly) said to GWR (Great Western Railway) that we have accepted the temporary loss of the 10:45 from Westbury (11:01 from Melksham provided that they run the 08:20 from Westbury (08:36 from Melksham reliably.   Call it a "Gentleman's agreement" if you like - but these past weekends they have proven themselves to be no gentlemen!   Not sure what to do / what we can do ...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: