Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:39:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First time season ticket - help a newbie out...  (Read 2127 times)
Rostock0

View Profile Email
« on: January 01, 2022, 12:25:51 »

Hello, everyone. I am thinking of taking the plunge and buying a GWR (Great Western Railway) annual season ticket for the first time. Could I ask a couple of silly questions about the practicalities of how this actually works, please?

1) The website says that I need a photocard, which I can get from a ticket office. I already have a GWR touch smartcard which has my photo on it - can I use this for my annual season ticket instead of a photocard?

2) Previously I bought daily tickets on the GWR app, and scanned my phone to get through the ticket barriers. Will my new season ticket also be loaded into the app on my phone, allowing me to get through the barriers with my phone? Or will the annual season ticket only exist on my touch smartcard, so I need to use that to get through the barriers and hence can't swan about wallet-free. Or in fact will they post me a physical plastic season ticket, perhaps?

3) I notice it's the same price for Didcot -> London as Oxford -> London. The train from Oxford runs through Didcot to London. I'll generally be travelling from Didcot to London each day, but every once in a blue moon coming home I'll stay on the train through Didcot and get off one stop later at Oxford. Am I allowed to buy a season ticket for Oxford -> London (since it's the same price) and get on and off each day at Didcot? ie can you start/break/terminate your journey as often as you like at any intermediate stations on your season route?

Thanks very much for your help.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 16:47:48 »

Hello, everyone. I am thinking of taking the plunge and buying a GWR (Great Western Railway) annual season ticket for the first time. Could I ask a couple of silly questions about the practicalities of how this actually works, please?

I can help with the third part ... on the first bits, I hope others can, but I'm rather detached from how such things have changed of late.

3) I notice it's the same price for Didcot -> London as Oxford -> London. The train from Oxford runs through Didcot to London. I'll generally be travelling from Didcot to London each day, but every once in a blue moon coming home I'll stay on the train through Didcot and get off one stop later at Oxford. Am I allowed to buy a season ticket for Oxford -> London (since it's the same price) and get on and off each day at Didcot? ie can you start/break/terminate your journey as often as you like at any intermediate stations on your season route?

Season tickets are valid for travel as much as you like, and for any intermediate journey along any permitted route. So an Oxford to London ticket is valid from Didcot to London.  Interestingly, an Oxford to London ticket is also valid on Chiltern services, so for the same price you can also visit Bicester Village, Princes Risborough and Wembley.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 17:55:34 »

1. Yes, you can. Or buy a paper version, it’s your decision. BUT with the latter, yes, you also need a paper photocard, not your Touch card.

You can’t get seasons on your phone at all. No ID available on your phone to act as a photocard, so too easily lent to someone else. Or lost/nicked and used.
So yes, you are tight - paper season AND photocard OR loaded onto Touch card. It’s an either/or and I don’t believe you can swap back from Touch to paper either.

3. Definitely go for an Oxford season. Graham is correct above, and the Chiltern barriers at Marylebone should work with both Touch and paper, although breaking journeys at Chiltern stations with barriers often doesn’t work, and you need to ask staff to let you through.
Rostock0

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 20:34:25 »

Thanks Graham and Chris, big help. That bit about the Chiltern lines is super-useful, I would never have thought of that.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 10:13:44 »

Thanks Graham and Chris, big help. That bit about the Chiltern lines is super-useful, I would never have thought of that.

Excellent.  The ONLY downside I can see of having an Oxford season rather than a Didcot one is if you wanted to get the train at Paddington one evening and stay on to SWINDON or beyond - with a season to Didcot you could take any train including one that did not stop and Didcot, whereas with an Oxford season you might be limited to trains calling at Didcot.

14.2. If you are using a Season Ticket, daily Zonal Ticket, or another area based Ticket such as a concessionary pass, ranger or rover in conjunction with another Ticket and the last station at which one Ticket is valid and the first station that the other Ticket is valid are the same, then the train does not need to call at that station for your combination to be valid.

Even there, you could argue with an Oxford season that the last station it is valid at [on the journey to Swindon] is Didcot ...

Also to note (in addition to the original answer) that the ticket is to "London Terminals" and that Oxford or Didcot to London services will also let you travel in to Waterloo via Wokingham, Staines, Clapham Junction ....

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 10:42:05 »

If you buy on Smartcard you'll also get a Gold Record Card (paper)
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/annual-gold-card.aspx
nickswift99

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 13:36:44 »

If you're thinking of buying a season from Oxford, you may also wish to take advantage of Chiltern's free travel offer.

You'd need to buy your season from Chiltern but would then get free weekend travel on all Chiltern services. See https://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/new-customers#special%20benefits
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 15:38:59 »

Hmm, check with Chiltern, I recomnend.

Oxford isn’t ‘a chiltern station’. Yes, chiltern calls there, but it’s very clearly a GWR (Great Western Railway) station. Even bought from a differentvstation that chiltern operates, the season income is splitvwith GWR, who would likely get the majority of the income. So I suspect an Oxford season doesn’t qualify for that offer.
nickswift99

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 11:58:05 »

On the Chiltern website there is a list of Chiltern Stations (and a helpful route map). This includes Oxford and many stations that are not operated by Chiltern (e.g. West Midlands stations). See https://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/routes-and-destinations

It's worth a go if you want discounted travel to Birmingham at weekends (you'd just need a Gold Card discounted cheap day return from Oxford to Banbury), or you fancy lots of shopping at Bicester village.

I suspect very few people take advantage of this from Oxford as they would need to buy their ticket from a Chiltern ticket office or their website.

On a related point, the Hatton-Lapworth ticket that can be used to get a Network Gold Card also qualifies for free weekend travel on Chiltern making it much more useful if you live near the Chiltern routes.
w056863

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 15:09:19 »

I think that the Hatton to Lapworth ticket does not meet the monthly minimum cost (as specified on the website) to avail of free weekend travel on Chiltern
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: