Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:21:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Hunting dogs killed on track near Templecombe, 1.1.2022  (Read 5205 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 05, 2022, 23:54:54 »

From ITV

In what could have caused “terrible injuries to people”, four hunting hounds have been killed by a train after running onto a railway line on New Year's Day in Somerset.

Network Rail said: “The driver of a train reported seeing a pack of dogs. Sadly, the train collided with four dogs near Templecombe, Somerset.

Article continues

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 10:23:05 »

At the risk of provoking a for/against hunting debate, of which I have no intention!

IF the hunt was obeying the law and trail-hunting, then those who laid the trail must have been extremely irresponsible to lay it anywhere near the railway (or major road for that matter). I guess that the hounds picked up the scent of a live quarry and those in charge of the hunt either couldn't or didn't want to attempt to control the pack. In either case, extremely irresponsible!

Whilst I, in common with at least two members of this forum, am (or would like to think I am) a responsible dog owner and love the four-legged member of our family, I have absolutely no sympathy for those associated with the Blackmore and Sparkford Vale Hunt.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 11:17:56 »

At the risk of provoking a for/against hunting debate, of which I have no intention!

IF the hunt was obeying the law and trail-hunting, then those who laid the trail must have been extremely irresponsible to lay it anywhere near the railway (or major road for that matter). I guess that the hounds picked up the scent of a live quarry and those in charge of the hunt either couldn't or didn't want to attempt to control the pack. In either case, extremely irresponsible!

Whilst I, in common with at least two members of this forum, am (or would like to think I am) a responsible dog owner and love the four-legged member of our family, I have absolutely no sympathy for those associated with the Blackmore and Sparkford Vale Hunt.

Just as an aside to this, your comments made me wonder whether one of the reasons why railway embankments have become important havens for some wildlife over the decades is because they offered a place to escape hunting dogs. Obviously the habitat they offer, and its general lack of disturbance from humans especially, is the main reason.
AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 11:42:31 »

It was at one time and certainly still in the 1970/80's, regular practice on at least the BR (British Rail(ways)) WR Reading Division daily passenger operations notice to advise staff, principally for the attention of traincrews, of hunting fixtures near the railway to enable a sharp lookout to be kept for hounds that might have followed the scent of a fox onto railway land etc.

The vast proliferation of scavenging foxes in London and other urban areas, has often been said to be due to the overgrown Railway linesides and land, that since the 1960's/70's has provided ideal cover and corridors from the countryside into the Cities.

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 14:04:27 »

Just as an aside to this, your comments made me wonder whether one of the reasons why railway embankments have become important havens for some wildlife over the decades is because they offered a place to escape hunting dogs. Obviously the habitat they offer, and its general lack of disturbance from humans especially, is the main reason.

I very much doubt that hunting with dogs has had any material impact, as so little of the countryside is (or was, before the ban) actually hunted. The lack of human disturbance is certainly the most important factor, combined with the lack of periodic destruction by fire since the disappearance of steam in the 1960s.
RichT54

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 15:30:04 »

At least the hunt supporters can't aggressively ride their quad bikes onto the railway tracks and hold up the trains; unlike what I've seen them do on a busy major road.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 18:39:12 »

100% sympathy for the dogs.

Zero sympathy for those that train them. Just like the animals they continue to illegally hunt they have zero concern for the welfare of the dogs they use for their barbaric pleasure.

Scum. The lot of them.

And idiots. Trespassing on the railway to recover the dead dogs rather than reporting the incident.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 18:59:10 »

Phil, I posted the original report as no more than a newspaper quote because I feared that any more I might add would colour the story with my personal disgust at those people who have set up and propagate the whole wide situation that led to the dogs being on the railway line.

I see no reason why members should not share their own views - be they in line with the ones I have just alluded to, or to explain to members why the activities that led to this accident (and not for the first time, by a long stretch) should be considered acceptable.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 19:45:38 »

100% sympathy for the dogs.

Zero sympathy for those that train them. Just like the animals they continue to illegally hunt they have zero concern for the welfare of the dogs they use for their barbaric pleasure.

Scum. The lot of them.

And idiots. Trespassing on the railway to recover the dead dogs rather than reporting the incident.

Agree. I used to be "neutral" on the issue of fox hunting but I am now opposed.
I USED to believe that despite the animal cruelty concerns , that fox hunting was an important part of rural life and the rural economy and was PERHAPS worth keeping.

I NOW believe that the benefits of fox hunting were greatly exaggerated, it has now been banned for some years with very little impact except on those directly involved. When foxes need controlling in order to protect sheep or for other GOOD REASON I favour shooting them by suitably trained persons. In the absence of good reasons to kill foxes then "live and let live"

I still have mixed feelings about drag hunting. On balance I support a ban, but feel less strongly about this than about the hunting of live animals. Incidents like the one reported are a powerful argument in favour of a ban.

The National Trust have banned, or are about to ban drag hunting on their land, a positive step IMHO (in my humble opinion). Hopefully other land owners will adopt similar policies.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 20:34:52 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 19:54:40 »

On a lighter, but related note, I recall a primary school exam intended to test general knowledge/common sense.
One question was

Which of the following is the odd one out ?

Fox hunt.
Hare coursing.
Whist drive.
Grouse shoot.
Stag hunt.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 20:23:04 »

There seems to be an assumption here that it was members of the hunt who allowed the dogs to stray on the line. That may well be the case. I don't know. However I am personally aware of an incident near Erlestoke in Wiltshire some five or six years ago when hunt saboteurs deliberately redirected a pack of hunt dogs onto the main Westbury-Pewsey line.

I don't have a great deal of sympathy with those who hunt living creatures for recreational purposes; but ever after that I have nothing but revulsion for the sick individuals who feel it to be necessary to intentionally put the lives of both animals and the travelling public at risk.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 21:05:27 »

On a lighter, but related note, I recall a primary school exam intended to test general knowledge/common sense.
One question was

Which of the following is the odd one out ?

Fox hunt.
Hare coursing.
Whist drive.
Grouse shoot.
Stag hunt.

Was it the Grouse Shoot because in those days it was the only one that switched between "illegal" and "legal" in early August each year?

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 22:10:34 »

There seems to be an assumption here that it was members of the hunt who allowed the dogs to stray on the line. That may well be the case. I don't know. However I am personally aware of an incident near Erlestoke in Wiltshire some five or six years ago when hunt saboteurs deliberately redirected a pack of hunt dogs onto the main Westbury-Pewsey line.

I don't have a great deal of sympathy with those who hunt living creatures for recreational purposes; but ever after that I have nothing but revulsion for the sick individuals who feel it to be necessary to intentionally put the lives of both animals and the travelling public at risk.

Absolutely.

I've seen "animal loving" hunt saboteurs scattering marbles and ball bearings in an attempt to bring down horses.

Saboteurs & huntsmen (those who continue to break the law as opposed to legal drag hunting) are two cheeks of the same arse.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 22:38:10 »

The Blackmore & Sparkford Vale Hunt would be shouting from the rooftops if there was even the tiniest bit of evidence that Sabs were responsible for the deaths of these dogs.

I too have revulsion for those who endanger the lives of animals and the travelling public. Like the B&SVH failing to control their hounds. Laying deliberately weak trails so that the pack can continue to sniff out foxes. Then blaming the hounds when they do what the hunt have trained them to do. Hunts continue to use captured foxes to train hounds. They continue the barbaric practice of cubbing.

Yes, there are one or two Sabs who go too far in disrupting hunts. But if the hunts weren't acting illegally in the first place there'd be no need for hunt monitoring and disruption to continue.

I find it just a little incredulous that there are these anecdotes of hunt saboteurs acting illegally yet so little evidence and few prosecutions. On the flip side its really easy to find evidence of huntspeople and their supporters acting illegally, and being prosecuted. You'd think that huntspeople would be doing all they can to prove that Sabs are acting illegally.

Oh, and trail hunting and breeding dogs to hunt need banning too.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 23:12:08 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2022, 05:12:57 »

For those who insist on hunting, alternatives exist  Cheesy

Not certain that direct link to the video is appropriate, but here is a news report https://metro.co.uk/2007/08/13/outrage-at-chav-hunting-videos-26824/

In very poor taste, but it made me laugh I am afraid.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: