08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 09:36:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[185] A daily picture from my recent travels
[65] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[56] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[54] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[49] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[46] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Hunting dogs killed on track near Templecombe, 1.1.2022  (Read 5130 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2022, 19:11:15 »

I have just seen on local BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) that the new Police and Crime Commissioner elected last August has asked the chief constable to report to him on how the altercations between the hunt and those who want to protest against it which happened just up the road in Lacock a few days ago.

Simple answer - stop the hunt [from going though - or, better, complete ban]

Except it won't be that simple.  The previous PCC (Police and Crime Commissioner) selection (elected last May, but then stood down because of a previous conviction which disqualified him) was a former master of than hunt, and the new PCC comes from the same political pedigree. I bet they don't come up with my simple answer.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 02:12:16 »

I suspect that any inquiry will produce two results.
Firstly that further studies are needed, including many consultations and the conducting of surveys.
Secondly, that more money is needed.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 08:25:48 »

Simple answer - stop the hunt [from going though - or, better, complete ban]

..............not without a full consultation exercise, surely?  Wink
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2022, 18:22:57 »

Consider the impact on newts also.
Does hunting disturb and stress the newts, not to mention some being killed under the hooves of the horses.

On the other hand, perhaps hunting actually benefits newts in some way ? Horse dung fertilising plants that shelter  newts  perhaps ? Do horse hoofprints perhaps create micro-environments that newts like.
Is the reported decline in newts in fact due to the hunting ban and nothing to do with railways.

More research is needed.

Then repeat for bats, badgers, whists, great bustards, and the increasingly threatened wild haggis.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2022, 23:57:28 »

Blackmore and Sparkford Vale Hunt at it again this last weekend.

From the North Dorset Hunt Saboteurs:

The Blackmore and Sparkford Vale Hunt almost chased a fox onto the railway line at Templecombe again! A monitor known as Wildlife Warrior, witnessed hounds following a strong scent across Temple Lane towards the tracks,  but thankfully they lost the scent before they reached the railway.

They searched rough hedges there for a while until terrier men noticed the monitor watching and quickly phoned the huntsman!

The British Transport Police are currently investigating the BSV for 3 instances of railway trespass. The "Marsh Farm fox" they chased along the railway twice at Buckhorn Weston on December 13th, and the horrific New Years Day incident below Bowden Lane, Templecombe that got 4 dogs tragically killed by a train!

Scum. The lot of 'em.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 00:23:32 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2022, 05:38:04 »

I would not consider a hunt saboteur group to be an entirely accurate or impartial source of news about this sort of thing.

If the report is accurate, and I suspect that it is PROBABLY accurate, then I agree that the hunt are scum. I am becoming increasingly opposed to allegedly legal drag hunting.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2022, 06:55:57 »

Blackmore and Sparkford Vale Hunt at it again this last weekend.

From the North Dorset Hunt Saboteurs:

The Blackmore and Sparkford Vale Hunt almost chased a fox onto the railway line at Templecombe again! A monitor known as Wildlife Warrior, witnessed hounds following a strong scent across Temple Lane towards the tracks,  but thankfully they lost the scent before they reached the railway.

They searched rough hedges there for a while until terrier men noticed the monitor watching and quickly phoned the huntsman!

The British Transport Police are currently investigating the BSV for 3 instances of railway trespass. The "Marsh Farm fox" they chased along the railway twice at Buckhorn Weston on December 13th, and the horrific New Years Day incident below Bowden Lane, Templecombe that got 4 dogs tragically killed by a train!

Scum. The lot of 'em.

There are a lot of groups whose habits, views and/or activities I strongly disagree with, but I manage to draw the line at hurling abuse at them on a collective and/or individual basis, especially when based on uncorroborated accounts.

The Deputy Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition recently had to apologise unreservedly for similarly intemperate and unpleasant behaviour, using remarkably similar language to yours.

I thought that one of the rules of this Forum was that discussions should take place in a civil manner - I may have broken that rule (albeit less offensively/vociferously) in the past for which I apologise if I've offended anyone..

As a Moderator, perhaps you should set a better example.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 07:06:53 by TaplowGreen » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2022, 11:27:29 »

The insulting term used is fairly minor and is in my view acceptable under the circumstances.

I would not consider it acceptable to refer to a named individual as scum, but in my view the term is acceptable if applied to a group or organisation of which one strongly disapproves.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2022, 12:08:33 »

Hmm.

So someone getting fed up with a TOC (Train Operating Company) removing services finally slides into using that language against the company. Do you find that just as acceptable?

I think the original suggestion ought to stand, and that the Moderators should take a joint view. There’s no need for calling anyone (singular or joint) scum in my view.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2022, 12:23:11 »

We should probably take this as a reminder to all of us not to get too emotional about things and move on.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2022, 12:27:15 »

And/Or move threads that disappear off-topic quicker.

Just to be clear, I am against all this too
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2022, 16:37:44 »

I stand by my comments.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2022, 16:58:18 »

I stand by my comments.

Such remarks are not to be made routinely, nor without careful consideration, but in this case I agree with you.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2022, 09:55:28 »

And another - a Facebook post from yesterday

Details of train collision involving dogs. No people were physically harmed.

Following yesterday's devastating incident where Wacton based hunt, the Dunston Harriers, allowed the death of hounds and the trauma of train passengers as the two collided. Our thoughts are also with the train driver and any member of staff that witnessed or had to respond to the event.

We extend this to the locals who are now living next to the aftermath and our gratitude for sending pictures of the reality hunting hounds face. The forgotten victims of hunting.

JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2022, 17:24:10 »

And another - a Facebook post from yesterday

Details of train collision involving dogs. No people were physically harmed.

Following yesterday's devastating incident where Wacton based hunt, the Dunston Harriers, allowed the death of hounds and the trauma of train passengers as the two collided. Our thoughts are also with the train driver and any member of staff that witnessed or had to respond to the event.

We extend this to the locals who are now living next to the aftermath and our gratitude for sending pictures of the reality hunting hounds face. The forgotten victims of hunting.

I refer readers to my sign off on reply #19 above.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: