Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:02:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[70] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[24] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Orange and purple zones  (Read 3341 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 15, 2022, 13:37:28 »

I believe these are redundant - but when were they introduced?

The best I've been able to find:
https://www.trippy.com/vt/England-247-3-3437306/Orange-blue-and-purple-zones.html
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/zone-signs-at-stations.51441/

Pictures - Swindon and Chippenham - hence "London to Bristol" board

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 16:14:39 »

I believe Intercity introduced them in the early 90s. The original GW (Great Western) franchise continued to use the zone system highlighting it in the back of their timetable booklets as to where to find various parts of the train such as First Class, buffet, smoking carriage etc.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 19:46:09 »

Weren't there, on some platforms, also blue and gold zones?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 20:36:55 »

Weren't there, on some platforms, also blue and gold zones?

yes, there were.

I've turned up my 1999-2000 National Timetable to see if it said anything in there ... can't see any reference, but here out of interest is the First Great Western page from 22 years ago:

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 21:42:22 »

Odd how they've subsequently reinvented the idea but using numbers painted on the ground rather than signs at high level. One drawback of that is that I can never remember which way the numbering goes so end up walking along the platform to find a second number and invariably find I've gone the wrong way.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 11:45:44 »

Odd how they've subsequently reinvented the idea but using numbers painted on the ground rather than signs at high level. One drawback of that is that I can never remember which way the numbering goes so end up walking along the platform to find a second number and invariably find I've gone the wrong way.

Number 1 is at the London end ... if you know which end is the London end.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 11:51:03 »

I've turned up my 1999-2000 National Timetable to see if it said anything in there ... can't see any reference, but here out of interest is the First Great Western page from 22 years ago:

Just under £6 (in today's prices) to bring an unreserved bike onto the train.  Supposedly not possible now, but happens all the time of course, and for free.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 12:15:47 »

Makes sense ... though even I would have trouble working that out at Filton Abbey Wood, Warminster or Deepdene!

I have often wondered why they don't add a direction 'flag' in the corner of the big orange square - so on Zone 5, for example, a small "4" with an arrow (to the left or right) at one corner and a small "6" and arrow at a corner of the other side ...

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 13:31:24 »

I suppose numbers painted on the platform are (perhaps) easier to remove when they next change the system...

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 13:46:23 »

Just under £6 (in today's prices) to bring an unreserved bike onto the train.  Supposedly not possible now, but happens all the time of course, and for free.
Only not possible on the Class 800s (and probably some other services but mostly those). Still possible on "local" services. The types of bikes carried have also changed; it's no longer possible to take a tandem on any GWR (Great Western Railway) service, except perhaps some still operated by HSTs (High Speed Train), and maximum dimensions have been introduced for folding bikes (but these AFAIK (as far as I know) are not enforced). You won't get six bikes on one train nowadays either, and no racks.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 13:50:01 »

But what really strikes me as having changed is smoking.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 14:18:34 »

You won't get six bikes on one train nowadays either, and no racks.

Though with the advertised space in a 9-car IET (Intercity Express Train) being B and J (big pause when saying the letters please!) there are in fact six spaces 'available'.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 15:29:25 »

But what really strikes me as having changed is smoking.
Former Carriage Bs smelt of stale smoke for a long time after smoking was banned. The earlier practice of having half of each carriage smoking and the other half non-smoking was in retrospect pretty useless considering how small the mid-carriage partition was.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 19:12:11 »

I'm fairly sure these were around in the mid/late 1980s. I have a foggy memory of them being installed at Taunton when I used to spot there around the age of 14/15. That would be 1987/88.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 18:08:18 »

Makes sense ... though even I would have trouble working that out at Filton Abbey Wood, Warminster or Deepdene!

I have often wondered why they don't add a direction 'flag' in the corner of the big orange square - so on Zone 5, for example, a small "4" with an arrow (to the left or right) at one corner and a small "6" and arrow at a corner of the other side ...

Having now manage to study several different stations, 1 is NOT always at the London end of the platform.  In the grand scheme it should be ... except when it isn't. 
Sample:
Taunton platforms 5/4/3 it is, platform 2 isn't. 
Exeter St Davids is
Dawlish isn't
Highbridge & Burnham isn't
Plymouth is
Newton Abbot is

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: