Delayed
08:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
09:00 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 10:44:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[109] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[63] Signage - not making it easy ...
[13] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: South Western Railways - reductions west of Salisbury  (Read 9573 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2022, 13:40:59 »

Edit by grahame - 17.1.2022

I have split off this post and subsequent ones from http://www.passenger.chat/25368 which is a very long running thread concerning the axing last month by SWR» (South Western Railway - about) of all their services to stations from Trowbridge to Bristol Temple Meads, as this their other service west from Salisbury - to Exeter - appears to have suffered a substantial and unwelcome cut and now needs its own thread

The original post from Mark A:

Can't check their website as it's down, but have South Western Railway ceased running through services west of Salisbury for the time being?

Hope it's not an hour's wait at Salisbury for Exeter.

Mark

[Edit: belay that: seems to be a Twitter rumour...]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 06:20:10 by grahame » Logged
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 14:17:57 »

From Monday 17th January 2022 there will be a temporary timetable due to Covid staff shortages.

One of the temporary measures is no through trains from Exeter to Waterloo. A change at Salisbury will be required.

Ah, yes. Not in the National Rail web site yet.

Also 'Until further notice'. Mostly 2 hourly west of Exeter? And a twenty minute to half hour wait at Salisbury. When this happened to the Bristol services, one of the three trains didn't reappear.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 14:19:17 »

Apologies. Deleted my post as it was quoted. The timetable info within it was posted elsewhere on this board.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=25817.0

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 17:14:56 »

Nick Hurrell from the salisbury to exeter rail user group had a small item on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) spotlight local south west of England news at 17:00pm on Sunday.
Talking about the cuts.
AMLAG

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 21:00:06 »

Good to learn that former SWT (South West Trains) Senior Manager and now West Dorset MP (Member of Parliament) Chris Loder
(and someone in authority who actually knew and cared for the Exeter to Waterloo line and its passengers) is taking up these forthcoming severe weekday cuts to services with SWR» (South Western Railway - about) Clare Mann.

I would also now expect Grant Shapps MP to be issuing an urgent 'report to my office at 0900 Monday for a please explain'  to SWR Clare Mann.

bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 22:35:35 »

Interesting to see Nick Hurrell pointing out that very few services had been cancelled in recent weeks. Looking at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) regularly that was the impression I had. So is Covid really the reason behind the changes?
The result is about 20 minutes wait at Salisbury followed by another 15 minutes at Yeovil, where the trains pass each other.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 06:42:09 »

Background data:

1. For TODAY, here is the journey from Exeter to Waterloo with SWR» (South Western Railway - about):
14:56 - Exeter St Davids
( 15:00 Exeter Central )
16:01 - 16:15 Yeovil Junction
17:03 - 17:21 Salisbury - CHANGE TRAINS HERE
( 18:05 Basingstoke )
18:57 - Waterloo
Runs every 2 hours, change at Salisbury, single fare £49.80

2. The timetable planner will offer you for TODAY (Single £57)
15:15 - Exeter St Davids
17:29 - 17:44 London Paddington - CHANGE TRAINS HERE
18:05 - Waterloo
and it only offered me the train labelled "1." if I specified "via Salisbury"

3. If you specify "avoid Paddington" The timetable planner will offer you for TODAY (Single £54.50)
15:15 - Exeter St Davids
17:01 - 17:12 Reading - CHANGE TRAINS HERE
18:36 - Waterloo
with alternatives at the same price via Westbury / Salisbury, and via Reading / Basingstoke

4. As a "Control" - here is the direct journey with SWR as it was 2 years ago this week
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/nrtt20/Table%20160.pdf
15:25 - Exeter St Davids
( 15:30 Exeter Central )
16:27 - 16:29 Yeovil Junction
17:16 - 17:20 Salisbury
( 17:54 Basingstoke )
18:49 - Waterloo
Ran every hour, through train

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 07:02:00 »

- is this a result of the amended timetable introduced due to COVID, other timetable amendments/changes to services, or both?
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 07:06:02 »

- is this a result of the amended timetable introduced due to COVID, other timetable amendments/changes to services, or both?

Officially, this is an amended timetable due to Covid, but rather than plan it in the same way as GWR (Great Western Railway) and strip out just a few diagrams, they have re-introduced the first emergency Covid timetable brought in during the first lockdown when nobody was travelling.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 07:07:35 »

Interesting to see Nick Hurrell pointing out that very few services had been cancelled in recent weeks. Looking at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) regularly that was the impression I had. So is Covid really the reason behind the changes?
The result is about 20 minutes wait at Salisbury followed by another 15 minutes at Yeovil, where the trains pass each other.

Plus a further 10 minute wait at Pinhoe for some Down services.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 07:40:04 by PhilWakely » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 08:11:43 »

I have invited SWR» (South Western Railway - about) to comment:

Dear Andrew,

It has been brought to my attention that you (SWR) are no longer running 1O58 - the 23:12 from Westbury to Salisbury which you added into your timetable as a tiny compromise when you withdrew all your Bristol to Salisbury (and Waterloo) services in December. As no doubt you are aware, the Bristol to Salisbury train was often a very busy one, and was also the final train of the day into Salisbury from the Bristol direction. There is no "duplicate" GWR (Great Western Railway) service that passengers can catch - which is why this service was being provided by yourselves, starting just last month.

I understand that you are running reduced services from Salisbury to Exeter (one train every 2 hours, rather than an hourly service) at present, and that you are running a reduced service from Salisbury to London (one train per hour, rather than two). That will be saving you a considerable number of staff 'diagrams' each day - more than enough, it has been suggested, to cope with staff who are off sick or isolating. It has been suggested that the halving of these services is more about reducing costs than staffing issues - that you have culled and broken far more through services than you need under any "emergency" pretext.

1. Please re-instate for the duration of the current annual timetable the late service which allows passengers to travel from Bristol and Bath to Warminster and Salisbury.

2. Please provided copies of correspondence between yourselves and the Department for Transport to clarify the background reasons for these new cuts - how the decision was reached to make such significant reductions, what consultation with Transport Focus and passenger groups was undertaken, etc - the data that would be available to me if I were to make a formal Freedom of Information request via the DfT» (Department for Transport - about).

3. Please provide comment (should you wish to do so) on the changes west of Salisbury (including the withdrawal of most through service to an from London) which can be shared to help passengers and community groups across Wessex understand where you are coming from and what your long terms plans are. There are very real fears that these latest changes are the precursor for significant further permanent reductions like the ones already implemented on your Bristol service, and re-assurance with data to back up that re-assurance would be most helpful to your customer base. The more informed ones amongst us understand that making passengers change mid-journey, slowing journey times significantly, reducing frequency, and having your website offer (by default) higher fares via an alternative route will be detrimental on fare-box income.

This is an "open" letter, Andrew, which you are welcome to share to help illustrate the issues and concerns to your team at SWR; I am also sharing for information to passenger groups of which I am a member and in context at http://www.passenger.chat/25879 . I very much hope that you'll be able to provide a response which is suitable to re-assure your customer base. 

I look forward to hearing

Confirming my earlier post, here is what the SWR website offers me for Exeter St Davids to Waterloo journeys this afternoon:

(Which is a 14.5% fare increase over direct trains that were offered last week!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 08:40:29 »

Journey planners are programmed to offer the shortest journey time, hence with the changes now made to the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services, all journeys are now quicker via GWR (Great Western Railway) services and the tube, rather than via Salisbury/Basingstoke - so one needs to force the route choice using the via/avoid option.

Travellers not used to needing to do this will simply think all those SWR services have been (temporarily) withdrawn…along with the cheaper fares. This needs attention & might be something Transport Focus could be involved in?
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 08:55:01 »

Tomorrow's Transport Select Committee meeting should be interesting as, in addition to Chris Loder, both Simon Jupp (Con, East Devon) and Ben Bradshaw (Lab, Exeter) sit on said committee.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 09:08:46 »

Is this going to be streamed live?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 13:41:59 »

Press release from Railfuture

South Western Railway hits a new low point.

Today (Monday 17th January 2022) marks a new low point in the provision of rail services by South Western Railway on the Waterloo to Weymouth and Waterloo to Exeter routes. From today, on Mondays to Fridays there will be no through services to London from stations west of Bournemouth and on the Exeter route there will be one through train in one direction only.  These changes will force passengers to change at Bournemouth or Salisbury, resulting in a loss of convenience and longer journey times.

“There is no evidence from recent weeks that the levels of sickness by staff from Covid has forced these changes on SWR» (South Western Railway - about) on these two routes" said Stewart Palmer, a Railfuture director. "SWR have already reduced the attractiveness of these services by reducing frequencies, extending average journey times and the withdrawal of on-train refreshments. They seem to display a cavalier disregard for the needs of rail users. These changes will just drive passengers away to higher carbon means of transport. Rail users and their elected politicians, both local and national, need to make their voices heard to reverse this madness”.

Railfuture is a national not for profit company, campaigning for a bigger and better railway in Britain. It has some 20,000 members and affiliated members in Britain.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: