Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:51:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: South Western Railways - reductions west of Salisbury  (Read 9380 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2022, 20:07:42 »

Presumably the resumption of this hourly service on 21st (claimed as from 19th on the usual "claim anything you can even if it's not new" basis) means that the whole timetable will revert on 20th to what it was at some time in the interval 12th December -16th January. So the current "cut the timetable to below what is ever likely to be needed and add some back if we can" will revert to "timetable what we and the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) think we ought to run and then cancel the trains we can't run on the day".
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2022, 20:58:37 »

‘Back to normail’…,

That’s not to full timetable, but the 85/92% timetable previously in use. The remaining services represent the 10% savings that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have demanded

Or at my station - Bookham it's 50% service Dec 2021 compared to Dec 2019.
Oh well, if RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) is correct and the Waterloo trains run 30 mins earlier / later, I can stay in bed for another 30 mins again. Smiley
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2022, 22:19:13 »

Paul Clifton, BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page), on Twitter has another possibility.
https://twitter.com/paulcliftonbbc/status/1488925941346807811?s=21
Ross H

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2022, 20:40:10 »

I've received an email from SWR» (South Western Railway - about) Customer Relations this evening (in response to an email I had written to Claire Mann complaining about the service pattern) which makes no reference to the fact that the through service to Exeter is being reinstated from 21st February. It's basically saying the same thing as they've said to Paul Clifton. Either the PM is winging it, or SWR's right hand doesn't know what its left hand is doing. Or perhaps both of the above.
Ross H

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2022, 20:48:00 »

It would appear that Journey Planners have the 'normal' timetable loaded from next Monday.

I had a very brief chat about the likely reintroduction of the 'normal' timetable with the TM(resolve) on my train back from Exeter to Pinhoe yesterday. He was very frank and open with his comments. He said "I was told services would be back to normal by mid-February, but we all have our doubts".  He then went on to say that SWR» (South Western Railway - about) are not particularly happy having to operate the route 'in such challenging conditions'. By that, he meant operating on long sections of single track, prone to landslips and flooding. He did like the 159s though.

These comments are telling, because I think there's a problem within SWR management (in its First MTR incarnation; I'm not suggesting it was the case under Stagecoach) that they see themselves as a suburban commuter railway and that their long distance services are just a nuisance. Having said that, I get the impression they're not much cop at running a suburban commuter railway these days .....
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2022, 22:07:55 »

I've received an email from SWR» (South Western Railway - about) Customer Relations this evening (in response to an email I had written to Claire Mann complaining about the service pattern) which makes no reference to the fact that the through service to Exeter is being reinstated from 21st February. It's basically saying the same thing as they've said to Paul Clifton. Either the PM is winging it, or SWR's right hand doesn't know what its left hand is doing. Or perhaps both of the above.

I take that to confirm what I thought about that PM's answer at the time - he's leaned on DfT» (Department for Transport - about) (prop. G Shapps) to help with his current project to curry favour with Tory MPs (Member of Parliament), and they have told SWR that they will restart this service on 21st. The general return to full service levels is still planned for that date, but not yet agreed and signed off by all parties so can't be mentioned by TOCs (Train Operating Company).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2022, 10:43:29 »

Just received from SWR» (South Western Railway - about):

Dear Graham,

I am pleased to be able to announce that a new timetable for South Western Railway services will be introduced from Monday 21st February 2022. 

Staff shortages linked to the impact of the Omicron variant forced us to introduce a new temporary timetable on the 17th January. This timetable was always intended to be a temporary one that would ensure reliability for customers during a challenging period, and some key services have been able to be restored since then.

As a result of improving staff availability, we are now able to increase the number of trains we can run without compromising reliability for our customers. This uplift is particularly timely as people return to the railways following the Government’s work from home guidance being changed at the end of January. 

The timetable that will come into effect from 21st February will be almost identical to the one that served customers in December 2021 pre-Omicron, meaning that a wide range of services – including through trains between Exeter St Davids, Weymouth and London and a more frequent service on the Shepperton line – will be reinstated. A small number of services that ran in December 2021 are not being reinstated, as we seek to effectively match capacity with demand. These are: 
07:38: Southampton Central to Waterloo                       
17:02: Waterloo to Guildford (via Woking)                     
07:00: Shepperton to Waterloo (via Richmond)               
08:15: Waterloo to Waterloo (via Hounslow)   

You can find our more details about the new timetable here: https://www.southwesternrailway.com/plan-my-journey/timetables 
We would like to take this opportunity to thank our stakeholders and customers for their patience and support during this challenging period.

Regional Development Manager (West)
South Western Railway

Good - happy with that.  Outcome we were always told to expect; hypothetical to ask if the outcome would have been the same if there had been little or no public concern at the reduced services and splits, and I'm sure I will be accused of being churlish if I even dare to ask that question.

What was the outcome of SWR's December 2022 consultation?   Are these back for good, or back for the year, or will be see them being strengthened further from December?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2022, 14:26:38 »

What was the outcome of SWR» (South Western Railway - about)'s December 2022 consultation?   Are these back for good, or back for the year, or will be see them being strengthened further from December?

Outcome? That doesn't need to come out until much nearer to December 2022, does it?

By then, I expect that how far passenger numbers have come back up again, and the body count in the Treasury, will matter more than the consultation inputs.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2022, 17:09:43 »

What was the outcome of SWR» (South Western Railway - about)'s December 2022 consultation?   Are these back for good, or back for the year, or will be see them being strengthened further from December?

Outcome? That doesn't need to come out until much nearer to December 2022, does it?

By then, I expect that how far passenger numbers have come back up again, and the body count in the Treasury, will matter more than the consultation inputs.

NOW is the time for community groups to be working with the train operators, their masters in government, local transport authorities and Transport Focus to ensure that the best outcomes are achieved for passengers, and for operators, and for financiers and regulators.  Minute by minute timetables, and perhaps even whether trains run in certain paths, could perhaps be delayed until the autumn.

It was about this time last year that South Western Railway and the Department for Transport were in email correspondence, without reference to the other groups mentioned (local transport authorities, Transport Focus, community partnerships and passenger groups) ... and the result was detached, poor, and much resented decisions.  Or if I translate that, loss of loved services that need not have been lost, and diabolical connections between the leftovers when that could have been so much better.  By the time the bodies I mentioned heard about the plans, it was, we were told "too late", and indeed further delays on responding to FOI (Freedom of Information) requests and in finding suitable dates to meet timed us out.   I have no intention of walking blind into the same trap again this year should it be being reset for reuse, nor have the other involved.

This is an SWR thread.  The situation with GWR (Great Western Railway) is much, much better and various meetings and involvements are ongoing.  For sure, less than perfect but that's bound to be the case where objectives across parties and indeed communities vary but an order of magnitude better than SWR.  I have been scratching my head to work out just why the situation has been so different with the two TOCs (Train Operating Company), bearing in mind that both are First group companies, both are contracted to run services via the Department for Transport.  On the positive side, that does suggest to me that SWR have room to move to an engagement position similar to that taken by GWR, and indeed they may - just may - be beginning to see that.  Fingers crossed, but not relying on that crossing of fingers, nor just sitting back and waiting to see.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2022, 19:38:21 »

This possibly needs to be put elsewhere.

On the subject of duplication of services and cutting them, as I was leaving Paddington today I thought about when the Elizabeth Line comes into operation. How long will three (?) separate services from Paddington to Heathrow servive? Plus the Piccadily line. Or maybe anything goes if it enables ministers to jet off.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2022, 20:06:30 »

Three? HeX yes, and the Elizabeth line which will include the occasional starter from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains). That’s two
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2022, 07:09:26 »

Three? HeX yes, and the Elizabeth line which will include the occasional starter from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains). That’s two
Sorry I hadn't clicked that the "Heathrow stopper" (with orange side panels) had already stopped.

Come on Sid, keep up!
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2022, 21:26:36 »

Does this belong here?

Due to a shortage of available train crew between 28 March and 01 April, there will be fewer services running than usual.

The following train alterations will take place on 28/03 - 01/04:

West of England
- 1547 Salisbury to Waterloo is cancelled
- 1750 Waterloo to Yeovil Pen Mill will start from Salisbury
- 1939 Basingstoke to Yeovil Pen Mill will terminate at Salisbury
- 2130 Yeovil Pen Mill to Yeovil Junction is cancelled
- 2145 Yeovil Junction to Salisbury is cancelled

​Lymington to Brockenhurst
​All services between Lymington and Brockenhurst are cancelled. We are currently in the process of recruiting replacement transport and an update will be provided one this is in place.

The following train alterations will take place on 28/03 only.

Island Line
- 0605 Ryde St Johns Road to Ryde Esplanade is cancelled
- 0614 Ryde Esplanade to Shanklin is cancelled
- 0648 Shanklin to Ryde Esplanade is cancelled
- 0714 Ryde Esplanade to Shanklin is cancelled
- 0748 Shanklin to Ryde Esplanade is cancelled
- 0814 Ryde Esplanade to Shanklin is cancelled
- 0848 Shanklin to Ryde St Johns Road is cancelled
- 1518 Ryde St Johns Road to Shanklin is cancelled
- 1548 Shanklin to Ryde Esplanade is cancelled
- 1614 Ryde Esplanade to Shanklin is cancelled
- 1648 Shanklin to Ryde Esplanade is cancelled
- 1714 Ryde Esplanade to Shanklin is cancelled
- 1748 Shanklin to Ryde Esplanade is cancelled
- 1814 Ryde Esplanade to Shanklin is cancelled
- 1848 Shanklin to Ryde Esplanade is cancelled
- 1914 Ryde Esplanade to Ryde St Johns Road is cancelled

Following these cancellations, the Island Line will still be operating an hourly service. This will run at XX:15 from Shanklin and XX:45 from Ryde Pier Head

Please note that due to the fluid nature of this situation, further train alterations may take place. We strongly advise that you check your journey before you travel.

We are very sorry for any delay that this may cause to your journeys.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: