Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:50:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Night Riviera to be reduced for eight weeks due to engineering work - Jan 2022  (Read 12752 times)
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 22:00:28 »

I cant give the exact numbers but anecdotaly its the main way for Scillies residents to go up to London .
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 22:24:17 »

I cant give the exact numbers but anecdotaly its the main way for Scillies residents to go up to London .

A population of 2,280 ... if each travels to London and back once a year ... I make that between 8 and 10 passengers on each sleeper journey, and a small by steady and significant traffic.   But how many trips does the average Scicillonian make to London each year?   

Having said which, that's a lot more population that those who are on the small islands off Mallaig - Canna 6; Eigg 87; Muck 38; Rum 22. Add Inverie and perhaps other scattered hamlets on Knoydart that have no road access - 70?  And we end up silly off sleeper topic!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TJ

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 22:35:49 »

This link provides fuller information

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/gwr-sleeper-service-set-to-be-impacted-for-eight-weeks-while-work-to-protect-vital-rail-link-to-south-west-continues-2
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 22:36:54 »

Let’s hope the Night Riviera continues in some form in the future.  It is now up to the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and, in the future GBR (Great British Railways), to fund it and will be a very easy scapegoat should they not wish to (unique/Ageing stock/loss making).

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 22:57:49 »

Let’s hope the Night Riviera continues in some form in the future.  It is now up to the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and, in the future GBR (Great British Railways), to fund it and will be a very easy scapegoat should they not wish to (unique/Ageing stock/loss making).

There is likely to be some discussion in various places in the future, and it may be prudent to ensure those places are well informed ahead of time how important to the places served, loved, and supported the service is.  The issues you raised can be addressed but I will let others comment how rather than start hares running.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 23:02:57 »

gwr-sleeper-service-set-to-be-impacted-for-eight-weeks-while-work-to-protect-vital-rail-link-to-south-west-continues-2

has anyone suggested
gwr-sleeper-to-be-run-via-tavistock-for-eight-weeks-while-work-to-protect-important-rail-link-to-south-west-continues-3 for next year?

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2022, 16:55:46 »

Notwithstanding the point about the Scillonian (which I imagine is marginal), to make it (more) viable, especially outside of the holiday season, it needs to be marketed more as a business option (again, much harder now that we're in the World of hybrid working with much less business travel), so basically arrival times into cities like Plymouth at a realistic hour (0800?) to make a day's business possible and a better option than travelling the previous day and staying in a hotel  - not 0520 which really is no use to anyone.

Alternatively, go back to detaching a carriage at Plymouth if it has to be an ungodly hour

If that was achievable, even an old cynic like me might give it a go!  Smiley

II is right about it being an easy target - it ticks most of those boxes - whimsy and nostalgia won't sustain the subsidy forever, it needs to demonstrate its future worth and that, I'm afraid, probably means it being at least less reliant on massive subsidies to survive.

It's going to be "reduced" for eight weeks - I don't hear too many people protesting which perhaps tells a tale but I'm happy to be corrected if there are campaigns I'm not aware of?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 17:45:52 »

Just a note about the Scillonian - it doesn't sail in the winter.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2022, 20:23:38 »

Notwithstanding the point about the Scillonian (which I imagine is marginal), to make it (more) viable, especially outside of the holiday season, it needs to be marketed more as a business option (again, much harder now that we're in the World of hybrid working with much less business travel), so basically arrival times into cities like Plymouth at a realistic hour (0800?) to make a day's business possible and a better option than travelling the previous day and staying in a hotel  - not 0520 which really is no use to anyone.

Alternatively, go back to detaching a carriage at Plymouth if it has to be an ungodly hour

II is right about it being an easy target - it ticks most of those boxes - whimsy and nostalgia won't sustain the subsidy forever, it needs to demonstrate its future worth and that, I'm afraid, probably means it being at least less reliant on massive subsidies to survive.

It's going to be "reduced" for eight weeks - I don't hear too many people protesting which perhaps tells a tale but I'm happy to be corrected if there are campaigns I'm not aware of?

You wont hear "too many people complaining" because only relatively small numbers use the sleeper. If compared to busy daytime trains with hundreds of passengers.
It is however still an important facility for those who do use it, and continued reliable provision should be a part of fulfilling stated  government aims of "leveling up" and of "improving regional connectivity" and of course encouraging "greener transport choices"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2022, 20:33:53 »

At the risk of getting myself deep in the brown stuff on "sleeper futures", I have to ask if it could run into Euston and share facilities and have the same stock as the Caledonian sleeper, and be run using the same class 73 locomotive fleet - with a view to moving the whole operation to class 88 as a future path.

I'm sure, like many other services, there's a seasonal element to the sleeper traffic, and also a cyclic element through the week and it would probably be fair to say it's at its quietest mid-week in winter (Saturday nights - probably the quietest of the whole week - don't run any more, right?

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2022, 22:33:59 »

AIUI (as I understand it) the Cally only uses 73s in Scotland once the trains have split, the long haul from Euston to Scotland is done with 92s.  I don’t think 88s are actually powerful enough off the wires, but that’s open to correction.

Coincidentally it’s been reported today that First Group have asked for proposals for a new bimode loco class to replace 68s on TPE (Trans Pennine Express), with an option to replace 57s on the GW (Great Western) sleepers:

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2022/01/suppliers-sought-for-new-bi-mode-locomotives-for-transpennine-express-and-great-western-railway.html?fbclid=IwAR3t-v_gNvmqq1wPz20v2PicJgbPTiFPBWe7SzRhdf_nDXMghxkln6V80Z8

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2022, 22:50:59 »

The Night Riviera could certainly be pathed into Euston. Via Acton East Junction to the WCML (West Coast Main Line) at West London Junction (Willesden).

Whether Wembley Depot has capacity to host and service the Night Rivera as well as the Caledonian Sleepers is another matter.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2022, 07:01:11 »

Coincidentally it’s been reported today that First Group have asked for proposals for a new bimode loco class to replace 68s on TPE (Trans Pennine Express), with an option to replace 57s on the GW (Great Western) sleepers:

Excellent news…and a positive statement that the sleeper is here to stay.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2022, 07:50:52 »

You wont hear "too many people complaining" because only relatively small numbers use the sleeper. If compared to busy daytime trains with hundreds of passengers.
It is however still an important facility for those who do use it, and continued reliable provision should be a part of fulfilling stated  government aims of "leveling up" and of "improving regional connectivity" and of course encouraging "greener transport choices"

That's sort of the point I'm making - if the aspiration is that the sleeper is to play a part (albeit a small one) in "levelling  up", for important strategic cities like Plymouth, then it has to work to the timings that make it a practical option for customers, not which suit the railway.

I think it could have a future, but clearly as you've pointed out with the numbers using it at the moment, it is ripe for cutting with a Government looking to save money.

I have no idea of the difference between 98s, 88s, 68s and 57s but anything more reliable is probably also essential for the future.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2022, 09:06:19 »

I have no idea of the difference between 98s, 88s, 68s and 57s but anything more reliable is probably also essential for the future.

Class 93s (or a version of) are most likely IMHO (in my humble opinion).  88s not powerful enough in diesel, 68s are diesel only and 98s are most definitely not suitable, though I expect Broadgage would welcome them! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_98

Edit to fix link.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:09:59 by grahame » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: