Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:57:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Trains told to get rid of torrent of 'Tannoy spam'  (Read 2460 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 21, 2022, 05:29:00 »

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page): https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60069429

Trains told to get rid of torrent of 'Tannoy spam'

If you're a commuter returning to the office after a long period of working from home, you may soon notice a subtle difference on your morning train.

In the next few months, rail chiefs will be getting rid of unnecessary announcements to make journeys quieter.
Examples of so-called "Tannoy spam" include telling passengers to have their tickets ready and, ironically, to keep the noise down.

But the Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) said key safety messages would remain.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 06:48:16 »

I think the station announcements are worse,like at Bristol Parkway and BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)),

one side of the station is saying something and then the near side of the station starts saying something different.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 06:59:34 »

For public transport in general there needs to be a system that adjusts the volume to the ambient noise; louder when there is more background noise (prime example is losing the announcement as the North Downs line climbs out of Guildford towards North Camp), and quieter when there is less engine noise, points etc. Applies just as much to stations and buses.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 08:35:58 »

Being discussed on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Breakfast now.......
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 09:16:22 »

For public transport in general there needs to be a system that adjusts the volume to the ambient noise; louder when there is more background noise (prime example is losing the announcement as the North Downs line climbs out of Guildford towards North Camp), and quieter when there is less engine noise, points etc. Applies just as much to stations and buses.

While I hesitate to suggest more software in trains ... if you can do that you can also measure not just the sound output level but whether there is any. If the system arrives for maintenance with a list of exactly which bits need checking or replacement, having caught intermittent faults as well as permanent ones, it's much more feasible to get it fixed.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 10:53:50 »

I think the station announcements are worse,like at Bristol Parkway and BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)),

one side of the station is saying something and then the near side of the station starts saying something different.

Swindon platform 4.  A motion-activated announcement about being careful on the stairs - in a busy space also used as a waiting area, so said announcement triggers 120 times in half an hour. *rolls eyes emoji*.

Speaking of motion-activated, any station with motion activated lighting that goes from black to blinding for two minutes every time the sole passenger on the station moves a muscle.

(Off-topic: energy saving office workspace lighting that goes out every two minutes unless the occupant raises their arms above their head...)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 11:02:05 »

.................. and then in the future there will be complaints at the lack of announcements

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 12:16:50 »

Swindon platform 4.  A motion-activated announcement about being careful on the stairs

I find the same announcement at Slough very irritating.

(Off-topic: energy saving office workspace lighting that goes out every two minutes unless the occupant raises their arms above their head...)

They have these in the public toilets at Slough Queensmere shopping centre. When the lights went off whilst in a cubicle, the sensors couldn't detect me. Perhaps in the wrong place or faulty.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 12:22:06 »

They have these in the public toilets at Slough Queensmere shopping centre. When the lights went off whilst in a cubicle, the sensors couldn't detect me. Perhaps in the wrong place or faulty.
Perhaps your motions were insufficient.  Cheesy

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 13:45:08 »

Rail network definitely not being micromanaged by ministers is it.  Wink
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 18:30:27 »

I have ear defenders when I use the train in Cornwall, never ending station stop info drives me mad.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 19:50:27 »

The one on-train announcement that bugs me is the 'Do not enter or leave the train when the doors are closing', which invariably sounds after the doors have closed and the train is pulling away.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 21:04:08 »

Those pesky TFL (Transport for London) travel updates at Reading (General) across all platforms. I’m sure anyone who is going there will have a clever little device in their hand and find out on the journey or once they arrive.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 22:17:20 »

Some comments from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) article.  Many a true word ...

Yesterday I found out it would cost £130 to get from Birmingham to Newcastle by train.

I can get a flight for £25.

There are far bigger issues with the UK (United Kingdom)'s railways than tannoy announcements.

Of all the things that need addressing with rail in the UK I am going to put this one at 742 on the list of priorities.

Fair point from the shadow transport secretary - far more important is the cost of short-journey rail fares now.

For me to park at my local station and take an 18-mile day return journey into London now costs over £30. That's £150 per week for a 25 min journey each way.

As I am also allowed to work from home, guess what I will be doing?

Given Leeds - Manchester electrification has been ‘announced’ in 2011, 2015, 2018 and 2021 but not expected until the early 2030s I know how frustrating banal railway announcements can be ...'

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 23:12:49 »

Once again we see someone compare a flight price booked in advance with a walk up train fare.  Roll Eyes

And if you want to fly from Birmingham to Newcastle at the moment you'll have to change at either Dublin or Amsterdam. Anything between 4.5 to 12 hours journey time. Excluding airport transfers and check-in.

3.5 hours city centre to city centre by train. With Advance fares starting at £23.00.

I agree with the last comment grahame quoted though. Far to many repetitive announcements about trains from Grant Shapps and previous transport ministers.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: