Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:14:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trains told to get rid of torrent of 'Tannoy spam'  (Read 2459 times)
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 23:44:45 »

Trains told to get rid of torrent of 'Tannoy spam

Have we moved to Sodor?

On the mainland, I don't think our trains have voice recognition.

1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 00:40:15 »

For public transport in general there needs to be a system that adjusts the volume to the ambient noise; louder when there is more background noise (prime example is losing the announcement as the North Downs line climbs out of Guildford towards North Camp), and quieter when there is less engine noise, points etc. Applies just as much to stations and buses.

While I hesitate to suggest more software in trains ... if you can do that you can also measure not just the sound output level but whether there is any. If the system arrives for maintenance with a list of exactly which bits need checking or replacement, having caught intermittent faults as well as permanent ones, it's much more feasible to get it fixed.

Some cars already have a facility like this, I know some Volkswagens will adjust the volume of the media/navigation output depending on your speed.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 09:31:46 »

Grant Shapps is not renowned for his pithy soundbites, but I quite enjoyed his reference to the spurious train announcements as the 'bonfire of the banalities'.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 11:08:06 »

Trains told to get rid of torrent of 'Tannoy spam

Have we moved to Sodor?

On the mainland, I don't think our trains have voice recognition.

There seems to be a new personalisation of items which we previously considered inanimate:

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Robot vacuum cleaner escapes from Cambridge Travelodge

A robot vacuum cleaner made a break for freedom after giving staff the slip at a Travelodge hotel.

The automated cleaner failed to stop at the front door of the hotel in Orchard Park in Cambridge on Thursday, and was still on the loose the following day.

Staff said it just kept going and "could be anywhere" while well-wishers on social media hoped the vacuum enjoyed its travels, as "it has no natural predators" in the wild.

[snip]

However, much to everyone's relief, the device was found nestled under a hedge on Friday afternoon by a (human) hotel cleaner sprucing up the front drive.

It was dusted off and "is now back sitting happily on a shelf with the rest of its robot vacuum family", the hotel confirmed.

How do they know it is "happy"??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 16:35:13 »

Surely this should be part of a larger debate about the adequacy of all information (aural and visual) for passengers?

I would suggest that priority be given to clear and timely information by both means about the journey being undertaken (in the case of on-board announcements and signs)and about the services serving the relevant station (in the case of information at stations) with connecting services the second priority in each case. And in both cases it should mean up to the minute information about delays and problems too.

I can see some merit in national standards for these.

Any campaign slogans should be left for posters ("Saw it, read it, didn't understand what the slogan meant"?)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2022, 19:17:51 »

They have these in the public toilets at Slough Queensmere shopping centre. When the lights went off whilst in a cubicle, the sensors couldn't detect me. Perhaps in the wrong place or faulty.

Happened when I worked in an actual office. Most inconvenient as I hadn't finished the crossword.

On the identity of the particular type of spam intended for the bonfire, I saw "See it, say it, sod it" high on the list of early candidates. I can't say I'm sorry. I hope it didn't cost much.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 19:23:32 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2022, 07:30:39 »

Nice interview with Radio Bristol on Monday morning from the boss.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2022, 15:46:44 »

There was also a piece on Radio 2 on Friday. Tina Daheley (a very refreshing stand-in for Jeremy Vine) interviewed Janine Cooper-Marshall - the current voice of GWR (Great Western Railway), she of the familiar 'Lundun Paddington' Welsh lilt.

Starts at 1:37-ish - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0013jsl

The Radio 2 schedule run-down at the end of the item is quite fun.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2022, 18:46:23 »

Perhaps your motions were insufficient.  Cheesy

Which reminds me: the station loos at Carlisle circa 2016: the flush fired by a proximity sensor, positioned to flush the toilet when the user sits down on it. Hopefully this has been sorted.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2022, 18:25:49 »

Since this story broke I have made a conscious effort to see just how many announcement there are on the ToCs I use in my day job.

They are SE Trains, SE Highspeed, Southern, GWR (Great Western Railway) (Thames valley), TfL» (Transport for London - about) (both purple and orange) and the Tube

In my view the number of onboard announcements is far less than it was say 5 years ago, even on stations announcements have reduced in number.   The 'hold the hand rail and take care' do annoy me.

The sceptic in me says this publicity hyped initiative on a purge on train announcements was part of the Government attempt to deflect the media away for the PM's 'problems' 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2022, 20:18:04 »

When I was in Tesco this morning, they put out several of these public service type announcements, including three in a row at one point. And it was stood still in Wokingham all the time!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2022, 20:34:08 »

The sceptic in me says this publicity hyped initiative on a purge on train announcements was part of the Government attempt to deflect the media away for the PM's 'problems' 

A modern day equivalent of the cones hotline.

Now, please!
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2022, 08:47:53 »

BusandTrainUser (Roger French) posted about platform annoucements today -
https://busandtrainuser.com/2022/08/20/useless-platform-announcements/

Southern and Thameslink seem to be going through a bad patch lately with cancellations and delays for a whole variety of announced reasons including “due to more than the usual number of trains needing repair at the moment”; “due to a shortage of train crew”; “due to a problem under investigation” (my favourite); “due to signalling problems in the South Croydon area” and many more....................continues....

Whilst this is not in our area, I found it interesting.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2022, 09:51:55 »

BusandTrainUser (Roger French) posted about platform annoucements today -
https://busandtrainuser.com/2022/08/20/useless-platform-announcements/

Southern and Thameslink seem to be going through a bad patch lately with cancellations and delays for a whole variety of announced reasons including “due to more than the usual number of trains needing repair at the moment”; “due to a shortage of train crew”; “due to a problem under investigation” (my favourite); “due to signalling problems in the South Croydon area” and many more....................continues....

Whilst this is not in our area, I found it interesting.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks of Reggie Perrin every single time one of these announcements is made
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2022, 13:30:57 »

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks of Reggie Perrin every single time one of these announcements is made

I didn't get where I am today without thinking about Reggie Perrin!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: