Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:46:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Waymarking all the various data feeds you can reach from the front page  (Read 1316 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 21, 2022, 15:04:24 »

We have a lot of data available from our top menu - much of it changing "all the time".  Impractical to manually maintain.   My local town council is looking to put together a system which is a "single stop" for events, community groups, contacts, news, etc, and that had me looking at the forum, all the various sources we use, and how we pull it all together (or don't).  Useful to copy the description of the stuff we have on each page here, as there may be things that even well established members haven't noticed.  I have also noted where the data come - both to tell you who's authority it's on and to provide a degree of help if anyone has to take this on in the future.

1. A map showing current rail disruption across our area. Click on map to enlarge and then select station by station. Click on words just below to get a full text report.  Feeds from National Rail (journey check)

2. Our logo to identify the site you are on. Click on this to link to our FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) (Frequently asked questions) thread - updates as required by moderators May update the graphic / add a text label here soon

3. Current travel and transport news. Feed from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page). Click on "BBC Stories" to get a full set of current heaslines from the BBC, with a one-line summary of each, with travel and transport topics at the top

4. What happened on this day in previous years - takes you to a page looking at today then back to each day in the past, with a picture and links to the story(s) for each data. Feed from a single data file for the whole year in which I correlate Forum Member's inputs in addition to my own (nearly complete) research

5. Today's story(s) from "On this day". Links to an appropriate forum thread for people to read, learn from, comment on, understand.  Thread manually chosen from our archive of around 25,000 - either member contributions of a "special" written to correlate data

6. Advert for the forum to get people to sign up, and help them register. Once a member is logged in (around 100 members per day do so), this box changes to "Recent posts", "Recent new topics" and "Espresso" which take you back to a month of your choice in the forum's history.  The data behind all of these links comes from the forum post which are added to at between 20 and 60 per day by members.

7. Next upcoming events on the diary - things happening today and on following days, as added by forum members. The next four immediate public events are shown; click on "whole diary" to see whole diary!

8. A series of links to resources - things like
* all polls that are open an recently closed on the forum (as started by members and voted and commented on by other members).
* acronymns and abbreviations to help you with jargon. This is the only section of the site that we have paid someone to work on, but it can also be updated by our moderator / admin team
* Station comparator - data from multiple sources; initial pages repopulated and updated annually from Office of Road and Rail databases, individual maps from Open Mapping database using, station by station departure boards automatically from Network Rail Darwin and Tiger
* Rail News - a link to Newsnow which takes you to rail headlines from around the world
* Train Companies - a pulldown menu that takes you to the web site of each of the train operators in our area, to check on train times, book your journey, etc

9. Next departures from the key stations listed.  Allow you to enter final destination there and will tell you which is your train (e.g. will point you to a London or Portsmouth train if you're at Bristol and ask for Bath). Data fed from National Rail Tiger

10. Login, password reminder link, and request to guests to register. Once logged it, replaced by your avatar (if you have one) and log in stats

11. The six subjects that members have most recently (and it largest numbers) liked. Click on the headline to get a whole page of popular topics

12. A QR (QR Code - Quick Response code) code which if you scan it will bring you back to this page.

13. News and a "byline" reminding you which site you are on

14. Search by keywords - defaults to search member contributions less than 3 years old, station names, and 1,000 mirrored and indexed documents. Adding to these indexed document is an ongoing process - something I do when someone links to a relevant .pdf which we don't already have. For copyright reasons, most mirrored documents are only accessible to members.

15. Three (public) sections which can be opened / collapsed
- Across the Great Western area
- Line by line topics
- Sideshoots and associated topics
Structure updated by our moderator team

16. Title and short desciption of each board within the section
Structure updated by our moderator team

17. Summary of very latest post in this board - when, who, what
Automatically updated by members as the post on the forum.

NOT SHOWN as they only display when you're a signed in members - systems like the message system which lets members communicate between themselves, and links to pages such as "what is new since you last visited".

Phew!   It's probably worth sharing my comments to the council officer as it will give members here, too, who might be interested in the future a few insights into why things are done certain ways

One key (to me and the team) is the ability to provided data without major efforts by a few people - lots of automatic feeds in there (I have pasted a picture of a typical page and navigation) so that we don’t have issues when someone’s on vacation, or major update costs - the whole site budget is around £700 per annum as most is volunteer time from lots of volunteers.

Also key is having things drop away off the headlines and quick links as they pass their “best before” date - in the case of a diary, having stuff go off the banners and down the thread lists once an event has happened

Third key - important to keep the site / links / data there in people’s Social media (Facebook, Twitter, perhaps other) threads. Not illustrated in the diagrams below.

The front page is designed (but could be much better) to give quick access to lots of resources, both for newcomers and regulars Our site does NOT link to booking engines, nor has it easy-print on all pages. It  is not at present responsive to browser width to be apelike on a phone; known issues with a system that has origins going way back, and not so relevant (or not relevant at all) to our membership and membership objectives thought it might be to the town council

The Town Council Committee that is overseeing and promoting this "Virtual Hub" is not one I'm on - my only involvement is as vice chair of MTUG» (Melksham Transport User Group - site) - the above just to help provide food for thought for the working group who's members are (I think) all new to this, and to the councillor who "does web sites as a job" and is advising them on what to put in their spec.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 21:01:25 »

2. Our logo to identify the site you are on. Click on this to link to our FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) (Frequently asked questions) thread - updates as required by moderators May update the graphic / add a text label here soon

Nothing like writing something up to spot what's missing, is there?  Alongside the Coffee Shop logos are 4 top links:
1. "I need help" in red, to the "Person hit by train" thread
2. To our FAQ
3. Emergency contacts - this needs an update
4. About the forum - this needs an repaint

I have left a link (with smaller text) there so that people who were familiar with "The Waterloo" campaign can still go straight to it.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 23:28:39 »

At 14, my Chrome and Edge browsers show "Deep Sear" instead of "Deep Search". They are both on 100% size. Reducing or increasing the zoom makes no difference. I've also gone into settings on my PC and the display settings are also 100%. Is it just me that is affected?
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 00:45:35 »

Firefox: I don't get any more than "Deep Sea"

PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 07:18:08 »

At 14, my Chrome and Edge browsers show "Deep Sear" instead of "Deep Search". They are both on 100% size. Reducing or increasing the zoom makes no difference. I've also gone into settings on my PC and the display settings are also 100%. Is it just me that is affected?
On Chrome on a Windows 10 PC I get all the text of "Deep Search"
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 07:29:53 »

Experiment underway ... button should now be resizing to fit the text.  Please "like" if it's now working for you, follow up with browser details if still broken.

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 08:16:24 »

Firefox (v96.0.2) on a Windows 11 (v21H2) laptop works properly - as does MS Edge v97.0.1072.69.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 08:25:15 by PhilWakely » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 08:28:15 »

Firefox (v96.0.2) on a Windows 11 (v21H2) laptop works properly.

Appreciated, thanks ... just about everything should be working now with my a code change made around twenty past seven.  Things can be changed a little bit quicker in our software Grin than changes to "things rail". 

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 11:17:02 »

Things can be changed a little bit quicker in our software Grin than changes to "things rail". 

Well, you wouldn't want to be accused of running a steam-powered heritage web site ... or would you?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: