Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:28:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Peak time Barnstaple services to be extended to/from Axminster?  (Read 3893 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2022, 14:01:01 »

Quote from: 'RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))' on RailUK forums
From May 2022 I believe there are two GWR (Great Western Railway) services per day between Exeter and Axminster, extension of Barnstaple services, one morning peak and one evening. Crew have been told they'll be route learning soon which is where I've heard it. Though they all learnt to Pinhoe last year and that didn't happen.

Sounds reasonable given the loss of the two SWR» (South Western Railway - about) 'locals' in the evening Peak and the crush loading of 1L93 (0610 Salisbury to Exeter St Davids) in the morning.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 15:53:46 »

Quote from: 'RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))' on RailUK forums
From May 2022 I believe there are two GWR (Great Western Railway) services per day between Exeter and Axminster, extension of Barnstaple services, one morning peak and one evening. Crew have been told they'll be route learning soon which is where I've heard it. Though they all learnt to Pinhoe last year and that didn't happen.

Sounds reasonable given the loss of the two SWR» (South Western Railway - about) 'locals' in the evening Peak and the crush loading of 1L93 (0610 Salisbury to Exeter St Davids) in the morning.

I've not heard anything either yet but agree with Phil.  The only reason Pinhoe extensions haven't happened yet is because it hasn't been possible to train enough crews due to the pandemic.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 18:08:25 »

The only reason Pinhoe extensions haven't happened yet is because it hasn't been possible to train enough crews due to the pandemic.

3Z50 (1511 Exeter TMD (Traction Maintenance Depot) to Castle Cary) and 3Z51 (1747 Castle Cary to Exeter TMD) - the GWR (Great Western Railway) route-refreshers for HSS (High Speed Services) drivers are back in the schedule. However, judging by last week, they are not stopping at Pinhoe nor Axminster, so I am not entirely certain whether these runs will be useful for these Barnstaple extensions.
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 22:22:34 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) must be confident they will have the stock as an extra train would be needed and also another one for Okehampton.
The 769s must be coming on stream at Reading to release the 165s which are also being refurbished.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 06:29:51 »

Shame the three councils of Somerset Dorset and Wiltshire can't get together and get a continued journey to Salisbury
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 08:06:31 »

Shame the three councils of Somerset Dorset and Wiltshire can't get together and get a continued journey to Salisbury

I don't know about that one ... I will leave it to the "line experts" to comment but looking back at old timetables, I would suspect that the 30 minute services at each end - into Exeter from Axminster and into Salisbury and east thereof from Yeovil Junction are somewhat separate commuter flows in terms of justifying the extra service.  But, please, convince me otherwise.

If we're doing a "total review", I know I've oft advocated the extension of the Romsey 6 up to (and beyond) Westbury, but would a good use of the train that sits in the bay at Salisbury be an onward service to Yeovil (Pen Mill, via Junction) rather than extending the slower of the two trains in the hour coming into Salisbury from Basingstoke?   I had better stop writing before I suggest something REALLLY silly that forgets it's a single line!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 14:09:09 »

In the December 2019 timetable SWR» (South Western Railway - about) used to run between the 16.25 , 17.25, 1825 London trains a 1639 to Honiton not stopping at Cranbrook or Feniton and an 1746 Axminster all stations.

Arrivals in the morning at Exeter were more complicated 0635 from Axminster, 0742 from Gillingham, 0822 and 0944 from Salisbury, before settling down to xx43 arrivals from London.

Devon Metro was always intended to replace theses services.

Hopefully stock should not be a problem as 769s at Reading displace 165s west.
An extra train would be needed as would another for the hourly Okehampton service from May.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 18:03:12 »

Following up this subject in the latest track access applications on NR» (Network Rail - home page)’s website, they have only applied for contingent rights to the 3 public services, on the basis that SWR» (South Western Railway - about) May reinstate their own short workings in Dec 22.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 00:11:45 »

The only extension I can see so far runs on Mondays to Fridays only which is that the 1639 Barnstaple to Exeter Central is retimed to depart Barnstaple at 1631 and runs through to Axminster. After Exeter Central this will call at Pinhoe, Cranbrook, Feniton and Honiton before arriving Axminster at 1828.

The unfortunate thing with this is that the train on this trip then works ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) to Exeter TMD (Traction Maintenance Depot) on a lengthy schedule: the working leaves Axminster at 1847 and heads to Castle Cary with a pause at Chard Junction (28 minutes) and arrives at Castle Cary at 1952, It then leaves Castle Cary at 2036 and runs to GWR (Great Western Railway)'s depot at Exeter, via. Yeovil, Axminster and Honiton with pauses at Chard Junction (6 minutes), Honiton (28 minutes) and Exeter St. Davids (4 minutes because the train reverses direction there) before arriving at the depot at 2225. Makes a good route refresher for the drivers but rather a long one: a siding at Axminster would surely be a good idea? https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W45741/2022-05-16/detailed

Dave
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 08:38:29 »

Relay the old Lyme Regis bay on the up platform. Then the service could wait for the down and up Waterloos which cross here. It could thus serve as a connection into and out of the London services which could run Honiton and Exeter only.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2022, 09:54:07 »

The unfortunate thing with this is that the train on this trip then works ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) to Exeter TMD (Traction Maintenance Depot) on a lengthy schedule: the working leaves Axminster at 1847 and heads to Castle Cary with a pause at Chard Junction (28 minutes) and arrives at Castle Cary at 1952, It then leaves Castle Cary at 2036 and runs to GWR (Great Western Railway)'s depot at Exeter, via. Yeovil, Axminster and Honiton with pauses at Chard Junction (6 minutes), Honiton (28 minutes) and Exeter St. Davids (4 minutes because the train reverses direction there) before arriving at the depot at 2225. Makes a good route refresher for the drivers but rather a long one: a siding at Axminster would surely be a good idea? https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W45741/2022-05-16/detailed

Dave

68 miles there and back? That's just embarrassing, considering that I recently recall more than one railway manager arguing in respect of the Bristol to Waterloo services "Well we can't be expected to run trains carrying fresh air, 'cos environmental impact".
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2022, 10:01:53 »

Dave

68 miles there and back? That's just embarrassing, considering that I recently recall more than one railway manager arguing in respect of the Bristol to Waterloo services "Well we can't be expected to run trains carrying fresh air, 'cos environmental impact".

These trains are bound to replace the route refreshers mentioned by Phil Wakely above.
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 11:44:07 »

This train is only replacing the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) 1746 Exeter St David's-to Axminster from the pre-covid timetable. I think the SWR then went empty to Salisbury.

It will be interesting what stock is used as Exeter depot uses 158s 166s and 150s to Barnstaple and there might be 165s as well after May.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 13:51:50 »

This train is only replacing the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) 1746 Exeter St David's-to Axminster from the pre-covid timetable. I think the SWR then went empty to Salisbury.

It will be interesting what stock is used as Exeter depot uses 158s 166s and 150s to Barnstaple and there might be 165s as well after May.

Both the SWR 'locals' returned to Exeter - one in service, the other as ECS (Empty Coaching Stock).

The Turbos have not be gauge checked between Exmouth Junction and Axminster and, as far as I am aware, there are currently no plans to use them on the Axminsters.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 14:31:09 »

The Turbos have not be gauge checked between Exmouth Junction and Axminster and, as far as I am aware, there are currently no plans to use them on the Axminsters.

I suspect we're at something of a "pinch point" at the moment with regional / local stock shortage in Bristol and Exeter.  Once the 769s come into substantial service from Reading, Turbos cascade to Bristol and then more / most 158s move from there to Exeter giving more 15x stock available for services from there ... such as an hourly service to Okehampton, the extras to Axminster, and longer trains in the South West for the Sumer leisure traffic.

Will the 769s be into service by May?

What will users of the Cardiff - Portsmouth and connecting services in Wessex think of the stock changes? We are tired of short, overcrowded trains and will welcome them rising up to the five carriages, but we remain unhappy with a degrading from the regional class 158 trains to suburban units of classes 165 and 166.  Suburban units are fine for what they were designed and bought for - and that's services such as the stoppers to Severn Beach and to Weston-super-mare where the mid carriage doors help, but that are far from clever on long distance journeys.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: