Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:17:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • GBR HQ entries close: March 16, 2022
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 16th March 2022 - Where should the GBR HQ be?  (Read 14083 times)
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2022, 21:38:55 »

My take: the minister of state for transport is being abusive towards many current railway staff, who shouldn't be made to worry that they may need to uproot their lives in an unnecessary move brought about by a political gesture.

Portillo should have a word with himself for taking this gig.

And Shapps might well find, on reaching the pearly gates, that Gabriel (quite fond, incognito, of signing on for turns on the footplate at various heritage lines) will want a word with him about that trainspotter gybe.

And seeing that it was filmed at Marylebone, he owes an apology to the Beatles too, and at the end of this process if the GBR (Great British Railways) headquarters location being settled by the fates as Woodford Halse, he has only himself to blame.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2022, 22:04:42 »

It's hard to know how much this matters - or what to put in a bid - without knowing how many people this HQ (Headquarters) will house. All I can see in the competition guidance is "the national team is planned to be a lean business unit" and "the headquarters is expected to house a modest staff". At least, I assume that's about their number. 

So, a currently closed shop unit in a station somewhere?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 07:13:37 »

I'm wondering if Bristol would put itself forward?  Plenty of railway tradition but perhaps it's only the Midlands and the North that the government are really looking to.  In any case, I doubt if Metro Mayor of Mayor Marv would want to come out to play.
Swindon has a greater claim toa  railway tradition that Bristol IMHO (in my humble opinion).  However I think Derby, Crewe, Doncaster or even York would fit with the present government's levelling up agenda.  However the logical outcome for me would be Milton Keynes (aka Wolverton) since many of Network Rail's staff were relocated there not long ago, at a serious cost in loss of skills, and a further relocation would risk loosing even more of those skills. 

Being a former Railway Town will not count for much.   GBR (Great British Railways) HQ (Headquarters) will be a administration and necessarily an operations centre.  The ToC's already run as devolved business and Network Rail is rapidly progressing to a regional devolved business; MK (Milton Keynes) has shrunk in its importance to the day to day involvement in running a railway.   

The location chosen will host rolls taken out of DfT» (Department for Transport - about), ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) and some parts of the NR» (Network Rail - home page) central functions, it will, I suspect, eventually have 2 out bases one in Wales the other in Scotland

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 18:00:15 »

I despair. If the government and the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) can't use their expertise to work out where best to place an HQ (Headquarters) building then there really is something wrong. A public vote is likely to be mostly about an unwieldy combination of railway heritage, mischief (remember Boaty McB?), politics and regional loyalties. How about choosing it based on factors like availability of a suitable building/space to build one cheaply, where the staff who will work in it are currently based, good public transport links and so on?
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 19:02:16 »

It does fit the competition on every level agenda though. Pit people or places against each other for jobs and economic growth.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 07:10:59 »

It does fit the competition on every level agenda though. Pit people or places against each other for jobs and economic growth.
Virtually every government allocation of funding is done on the bidding process. Health have had to do this for years; spend vast amount of time and energy doing the paperwork, if you are lucky you then get a paltry sum of money, and then you have to spend more time and energy doing paperwork to show and justify what you have done. Good for bureaucracy and ministers off-loading responsibility, but not much else.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 07:43:43 »

There is plenty of empty office space throughout the country, why talk of an "HQ (Headquarters) building", just work out how many desks are needed (bearing in mind that the majority of office workers will be working a hybrid pattern and WFH (Working From Home) far more) and lease the necessary space, NOT in a "prestige" central London location, this is public money and as little as is necessary should be spent.

If there's a possibility of creating jobs in an area where they're needed so much the better, base it there, it doesn't need to be in a "Railway town", it will mostly be an admin and Operations centre.

You only have to look at buildings like InterCity House in Plymouth, which was dilapidated before it was finished and never close to being fully utilised to realise the folly of the alternative.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2022, 10:57:57 »

The one location that has definitely been ruled out is London.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 15:02:22 »

Going with current joined up thinking from the Government, what about Newcastle-under-Lyme? No train station there to distract the hard working GBR (Great British Railways) employees.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 16:47:27 »

Going with current joined up thinking from the Government, what about Newcastle-under-Lyme? No train station there to distract the hard working GBR (Great British Railways) employees.

I was about to suggest Bude, Ripon or Skelmersdale ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2022, 06:30:40 »

I would favour anywhere reasonably central and with good rail connections, it would in my view be preferable for the majority of GBR (Great British Railways) staff to walk, cycle, or use public transport for travel to the offices.
It sets a very poor example if most of the staff drive to work in a rail related business.

Agree not London which is crowded and therefore expensive.

An existing building, available to lease or purchase affordably is preferable to new build which is bound to take longer and cost more than expected.
A building already suitable for the intended use without any need for significant alterations or other building works would be preferred, again to avoid delays and ballooning costs.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2022, 19:56:56 »

How about putting forward Portishead for the HQ (Headquarters)? It's fairly pleasant, and it might just help get the railway built.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2022, 16:09:18 »

Melksham would be a good location from what I've read.
Connectable rail service, with added bus links  Undecided

We were discussing that earlier. Stranger things have happened.

Could do far, far, far worse ... it's educational to think the unthinkable http://www.passenger.chat/hqx.pdf ... something I used on last month but concluded I should not seriously take further. 

Would be supportive another appropriate bid from within this (Wessex) region, which has most of what it takes, and that which it ain't got can be fixed (such as by restarting VT0 to fix the frankly appalling rail connectivity from here about to the Midlands and North.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 16:24:13 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2022, 16:06:11 »

Any last minute submissions really need to be finished today. Just reminding everyone.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2022, 22:52:26 »

From the Yorkshire Post

T
ransport for the North has launched a campaign calling on the Government to choose one of the four Northern contenders.

Chief Executive Martin Tugwell said: “The new Great British Railways’ (GBR (Great British Railways)) headquarters can be anywhere, as long as it’s here in the North.

"Transport for the North will be making the case for it to be based here in the heart of the country over the coming weeks. 

“Our country’s national railway is over 200 years old, but few people know that our rail network was born here in the North of England with the very first railways and stations. By basing GBR here it will be a homecoming.”

Councillor Carl Les, Leader of North Yorkshire County Council, said setting up the GBR headquarters in the North would support the Government’s levelling up agenda.

“York has an extensive rail heritage and the right skills and people to make GBR a success,” he added.

I can't help feeling that a new start is required, and sticking with the old favourites will confirm that the railways are stuck in the past.

May I suggest looking to somewhere that railway improvement and investment will be really welcome.   Corsham, Portishead, Tavistock, Yetminster, Fowey or Dunster?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: