08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 10:04:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[185] A daily picture from my recent travels
[65] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[56] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[54] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[49] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[46] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • GBR HQ entries close: March 16, 2022
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 16th March 2022 - Where should the GBR HQ be?  (Read 14053 times)
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2022, 06:37:31 »

Don't mind if they have it "somewhere in the North",

they might then get ticket gates installed at Chesterfield Doncaster Barnsley Sheffield and Preston.
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2022, 09:56:28 »

May I suggest looking to somewhere that railway improvement and investment will be really welcome.   Corsham, Portishead, Tavistock, Yetminster, Fowey or Dunster?

Definitely supporting the idea of Dunster as an HQ (Headquarters).  I rather fancied the idea of having my office there back in 1976.  But we discovered the wooden floor was rotten.  And then the foreman of our government funded JCP - Job Creation Programme - decided that the lovely and definitely un-rotten built-in furniture (booking office counter, drawers, cupboards and a table) would better be used to warm up the workers on a cold day Sad

Under the original lease from Somerset County Council, the WSR had to keep the station buildings at Dunster, Blue Anchor, Williton, Stogumber, Crowcombe and Bishops Lydeard only in "wind and watertight" condition
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2022, 11:49:22 »

Melksham would be a good location from what I've read.
Connectable rail service, with added bus links  Undecided

We were discussing that earlier. Stranger things have happened.

Could do far, far, far worse ... it's educational to think the unthinkable http://www.passenger.chat/hqx.pdf ... something I used on last month but concluded I should not seriously take further. 

Would be supportive another appropriate bid from within this (Wessex) region, which has most of what it takes, and that which it ain't got can be fixed (such as by restarting VT0 to fix the frankly appalling rail connectivity from here about to the Midlands and North.

How things changes - at the end of last week, Cooper Tires announced that they're to cease production of tyres in Melksham by the end of next year with around 300 redundancies.   And the test case work I did six months ago comes back to have a more serious look taken at the underlying logic, which had more than a grain of logic in it.   On Facebook for the Melksham audience, I wrote:

Comedians can say the unthnkable and you can laugh, but pause for thought. Many a true word is spoken or written in Jest.  In March, I wrote a suggestion-to-nothing that Melksham might like to bid for the GBR (Great British Railways) Headquarters - we have a great deal going for us, but of course we're not a northern or midlands city, and our rail connections (which a rail HQ (Headquarters) would expect) are better than they were, but still pretty poor. 

However, it's interesting to note my analysis of what Melksham has going for it, and what's in the vicinity of the Melksham Riverside site. The background data and thoughts need attention and redirection - I don't thing anyone will see the GBR HQ anyway as that was an idea from the Boris era.  See http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/mirror/hqx.pdf

There are two strands looking ahead.  The first is for the people who may have worked at "The Avon" all their lives and be like deer caught in headlights this weekend.  It's a frightening time when you're declared redundant (it happened to me twice) but after not a little heartache, a new chapter can be so much of a better one in a role and company that's developing, and not it a company where you wonder how much longer it can last.   The second is "what now?" for the town, with this prime piece of real estate where people are crying out for many things ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2023, 16:44:10 »

From The Independent

Derby expected to host Great British Railways HQ (Headquarters)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2023, 12:20:46 »

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Confirmed.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2023, 14:19:56 »

Wondering what this means for Network Rail in Milton Keynes. A renewed interest in a new railway on the Northampton - Market Harborough trackbed perhaps.

Also, seeing that GBR (Great British Railways)-connected people will need to travel between the East Midlands and the greater Manchester conurbation, that'll be food for thought for everyone.

Mark
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2023, 16:24:39 »

Government announcement:  https://www.gov.uk/government/news/derby-named-as-home-of-great-british-railways-hq

infoman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2023, 18:15:50 »

Just hoping they will be holding monthly meetings so we can express OUR views
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2023, 20:10:38 »

I can understand the images of an HST (High Speed Train) and an Alstom/Bombardier Aventra, both rail products developed and/or built in Derby. But why the Rolls Royce background? Yes, RR is associated with Derby but they've never, to my knowledge, developed or built passenger rail transport products in Derby.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2023, 21:07:53 »

Tenuous connection, but the Derby-built class 127 DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) (used on St Pancras-Bedford pre-electrification) had Rolls Royce engines.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2023, 21:27:18 »

Tenuous connection, but the Derby-built class 127 DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) (used on St Pancras-Bedford pre-electrification) had Rolls Royce engines.

I stand, slightly, corrected.  Wink

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_C_range_engines#C8NFLH

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2023, 17:09:22 »

Just hoping they will be holding monthly meetings so we can express OUR views

Better get yourself attached to a CRP (Community Rail Partnership) then, or a County Council transport department. Along with ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)/Transport Focus/London TravelWatch, these were ther only organisations listed in the white paper.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2023, 07:18:57 »

Wondering what this means for Network Rail in Milton Keynes. A renewed interest in a new railway on the Northampton - Market Harborough trackbed perhaps.

Mark

Probably not much initially.  The Andrew Haines Putting Passengers First programme undoing the Iain Coucher centralist management structure of one National centre with very little decision making left to the Network Rail Routes to the current devolved to the a Regional structure where the Regional Directors and their teams make the decisions under a National frame work ......................... Sounds a lot like British Rail don't it.

I cannot see there will be need or desire to centrally base every thing into the Derby GBRHQ the NR» (Network Rail - home page) Regions and the TOCs (Train Operating Company) under the GBR (Great British Railways) framework will be the decision makers even down to timetabling.  GBR will be high level policy, train operator contracts, timetabling oversight.  Network Rail business will transferred into GBR, will Network Rail be rebranded that I am not certain, there are a number of potential possibilities of further devolved branding Train Operator alignment etc         

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2023, 07:24:07 »

ChrisB,if I sign up for any more travel sites,it will take all day to read them.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2023, 17:11:50 »

A local CRP (Community Rail Partnership) to you isn't just a travel site, they need volunteers to do work around their local stations. The only way you can be part of a CRP is to get appointed to a job or join a station/line adoption team
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: