16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 16:04:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[269] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[101] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[44] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[41] Signage - not making it easy ...
[8] IETs at Melksham
[7] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: We want more room!  (Read 20594 times)
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 00:01:13 »

My local station is Reading.
For some reason whenever I get a train from Reading it's always around quarter to the hour. Cheesy
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 00:02:57 »

Did you use SWT (South West Trains) when it ran into Reading? I think they should start running into Reading again really.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 07:47:50 »

Whats a 142? Whens the referb? What will this give us? How much more will our season tickets cost? Guys, you have to remember not all of us understand your jargon!  Shocked

Three letter acronyms (or 3 digit ones) and other jargon are always a bit of a debatable point.  Avoid them and you end up with very long posts, use them and you render the whole thing hard to follow.

We have a page of acronyms at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/acronyms.html which at least tells you what some of the train types and other abbreviations are. And please ask about any others or for clarification - if you are wondering, then so are others!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 09:10:22 »

All the same I have to confess, travelling from Melksham to Basingstoke via Reading (as I regularly do) I think I'd much rather have the admittedly crowded two coach half-hourly service I get at the end of the journey than the no trains at all between dawn and dusk service I get at the start. Maybe that's just me being unreasonable though.

Yes, I sometimes get that jealous feeling too when I hear of a train service that runs 36 times as often as our, Phil (3 and hour v 2 a day!).   Miss the 07:17 at Melksham (my home town too), and your next train in the same direction is at 19:47.

What we need to focus on, though, is the right improvements for everyone, and as rarely as possible do so based on having winners in one area provoking major loosers in another. And what is "right" will differ.   

On the TransWilts (that's your line through Melksham), a truely appropriate service would be one train each way every hour, according to a report I received under FOI (Freedom of Information). That's not going to happen any time soon, but major steps towards it might, and it would not be done by using stock from the same pool as Reading - Basingstoke uses.

On Reading - Basingstoke, frankly, I don't know what would be appropriate and I will defer to others to tell us.  Longer trains?   More of them?  More authoritative Train Managers to tell people to get their bags off seats?

I have referred elsewhere to a standard that I made up for train loading and I called in "Nesting" - that's "Nearly Every Seat Taken" and it's a loading limit that would be nearly reached as often as possible without being exceeded apart from as rarely as possible - a tipping point if you like.   How does Reading - Basingstoke match up to NESTing?

P.S. By "taken", I mean with a human traveller and not someone's luggage  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Commuting Bookworm

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 09:55:04 »

In my carraige this morning, there was 4 seats empty, however 5 people standing. The reason no one sat on the seats, was it would of been rather squashed and since we are not London commuters, not used to squashing.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 16:17:14 »

So in essence, a third carriage would be a waste??
Commuting Bookworm

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 16:52:31 »

No, becuase tonight more will be standing, and since we all pay for a seat, and also if people could get on the train knowing they could get a seat then that surely would releve presure from the x country services?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 17:01:55 »

As a matter of fact, a ticket does not entitle you to a seat!

Over to swlines...
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 17:06:41 »

Yup - slightly busy at the moment, but a ticket only entitles you to travel - a seat is just an added benefit.

Will add more in 30 minutes.

EDIT: From NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage):

When you buy a ticket to travel on the National Rail Network you enter into an
agreement with the Train Companies whose trains you have the right to use. That
agreement gives you the right to make the journey or journeys between the
stations or within the zones shown on the ticket you have bought.

7. Train Company^s responsibilities
The Train Company whose trains you have the right to use, or who has agreed to
provide you with any other goods or services, is responsible for providing the
goods or services it has agreed to provide. However, the Train Company or its
agent(s) are not responsible for:
(a) another Train Company not running any trains;
(b) another person not providing goods or services;
(c) any losses that occur while you are travelling on any other Train Company^s
trains;
(d) any losses that occur while you are using those other goods or services.
However, each Train Company or its agent(s) will help you if you have a claim
(see Condition 63) or a complaint about your journey, either by dealing with the
matter itself or by passing it on to the Train Company(s) or other person(s)
providing the goods or services in question.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 17:34:58 by swlines » Logged
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 09:59:40 »

On Reading - Basingstoke, frankly, I don't know what would be appropriate and I will defer to others to tell us.  Longer trains?   More of them?  More authoritative Train Managers to tell people to get their bags off seats?

From my experience I'd say cancelling the little-used late morning (circa. 11am) and early afternoon (circa. 2pm) trains - especially a FGW (First Great Western) unit which runs just behind a Cross Country one on the same route - and using the stock to double the length of equivalent rush-hour trains would probably go a long way towards restoring the goodwill of the regular commuters on that route.
Commuting Bookworm

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 10:02:14 »

Phil, That sounds like a really good idea!
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 10:42:48 »

On Reading - Basingstoke, frankly, I don't know what would be appropriate and I will defer to others to tell us.  Longer trains?   More of them?  More authoritative Train Managers to tell people to get their bags off seats?

From my experience I'd say cancelling the little-used late morning (circa. 11am) and early afternoon (circa. 2pm) trains - especially a FGW (First Great Western) unit which runs just behind a Cross Country one on the same route - and using the stock to double the length of equivalent rush-hour trains would probably go a long way towards restoring the goodwill of the regular commuters on that route.

How many services would Mortimer and Bramley lose under this proposal? Are you proposing service gaps (vigorously opposed by stakeholders and passengers when tried at stations in the Greater Bristol area) or something along the lines of the Jacobs recommendation (again likely to be seen as a service cut, and strongly opposed) ?

Quote from: Jacobs Consultancy Greater Western Franchise Replacement Outline Business Case Report
Our analysis has identified low off-peak usage at Tilehurst, Pangbourne, Goring, Cholsey, Mortimer and Bramley. In this option the off-peak service frequency at these stations is reduced from 2tph to 1tph.

These frequency reductions will offer a worthwhile performance benefit with the removal of 1 tph on what are both congested route sections.

This option may have a negative impact on rail^s contribution to the market, however it may release paths which could be used by other operators (e.g. freight.)

The reduction in operating costs from reducing the off peak frequency at certain stations outweighs the revenue loss. The option is broadly neutral in economic terms.

My personal opinion is that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and FGW wouldnt risk it, given the opposition they encountered when proposing service cuts elsewhere in the franchise.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 11:12:45 »

My personal opinion is that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and FGW (First Great Western) wouldnt risk it, given the opposition they encountered when proposing service cuts elsewhere in the franchise.

Speaking as a resident of Melksham, my personal opinion of the DFT (Department for Transport) and FGW's likely reaction to public opposition to service cuts is probably unprintable here.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 11:20:21 »

My personal opinion is that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and FGW (First Great Western) wouldnt risk it, given the opposition they encountered when proposing service cuts elsewhere in the franchise.

Speaking as a resident of Melksham, my personal opinion of the DFT (Department for Transport) and FGW's likely reaction to public opposition to service cuts is probably unprintable here.

On Melksham/TransWilts, as you know, I strongly agree with you.

There is a different mindset in certain other parts of the franchise area, though, and the key to understanding why that is probably lies in continued study of the plans put forward (past, present and future) by the DfT, FGW, Network Rail and others, along with the relevant political aspects.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2008, 08:31:24 »

I'm probably missing something here folks, but I don't see how cutting out a train in the middle of the day (which is something i would not suggest in all but the most exceptional of circumstances!) would make it more available in the peak hour.  Wasn't that what was being suggested - perhaps it was tongue in cheek?

If someone could invent a way for a train being in two places at the same time between 7 and 10 a.m. and then again between 4 and 7 p.m., at the "expense" of it being nowhere at all in the six hours in between, then that person would transform the whole economics of commuter services at a stroke.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: