Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:03:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: underground plans for Bristol update.  (Read 10415 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2022, 22:21:37 »

And the saga continues:
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristols-new-underground-rail-network-7772344?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2022, 08:42:30 »

Let's assume this actually gets built. We can even assume the "Over or underground rapid routes" really will be underground rail. But look at the pattern. What's new? One line through St George and out to unspecified points in the north-east of Bristol (maybe Kingswood, maybe Emersons Green?). Everything else pretty much duplicates existing routes. And even the new one doesn't provide a circumferential or non-radial route, everything is still routed through the centre, probably involving a change and out again.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2023, 18:02:18 »

Always nice to get a straight answer from a politician: https://twitter.com/i/status/1628071652159283200

…I think we can officially declare the Marvin Metro dead.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 08:34:34 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2023, 20:40:36 »

Always nice to get a straight answer from a politician: https://twitter.com/i/status/1628071652159283200

…I think we can officially declare the Marvin Metro dead.

More stillborn than dead, maybe. As final confirmation before the knacker's cart arrives, and I haven't read it all yet, I don't think it gets a mention in the recently published Greater Bristol Rail Network Strategic Study

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2023, 23:27:02 »

To be fair, it wouldn’t would it.

Good spot though, TonyK! Did you like the bit about four-tracking from Keynsham to Bath?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2023, 22:52:57 »

Good spot though, TonyK! Did you like the bit about four-tracking from Keynsham to Bath?

I did rather, although I am struggling to take it seriously yet. Parson Street to Bedminster looks easier, and will surely ensure an appearance on Great Railway Journeys of teh World.

Now, please!
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2023, 12:17:15 »

I did rather, although I am struggling to take it seriously yet. Parson Street to Bedminster looks easier, and will surely ensure an appearance on Great Railway Journeys of teh World.

Also the discreet recommendation for full electrification :-)
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2023, 12:29:31 »

Parson Street and Bedminister International may yet receive a second state visit from Sir Michael Portaloo.....
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2023, 18:57:21 »

So that it doesn't get buried in the underground, I have started a new thread for the Greater Bristol Rail Network Strategic Study, at:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=27232

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2023, 19:09:13 »

Keeping the underground plans above ground; the battle of the mayors continues as Metro Marvin says No-tube Norris lacks ambition:
“The lack of ambition of both Bristol city opposition councillors and the combined authority is staggering,” Rees said.

“I remain committed to the mass transit system including the use of underground in central areas.”

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/metro-mayor-lack-ambition-bristol-underground-staggering/

...while "totally rejecting" a newly revealed estimate of £18 billion for the cost of an underground system.
The study, by multinational consultancy giants WSP, concludes that an overground mass transit network would cost between £1.5bn and £1.8bn, but an underground would set taxpayers back ten times that amount – £15.5bn to £18.3bn.
A spokesperson for Rees said: “We totally reject the report and its content.

“It was commissioned by the West of England Combined Authority and their brief for WPS was initially challenged by Bristol City Council.

“The costs are far removed from previous estimates and are a response to the flawed approach that some in WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) have taken to this point.

“Buses alone are not the answer to Bristol’s decades of transport failure, which we set WECA up to solve not ignore.

“Bristolians need and deserve a mass transit system, so the Mayor of Bristol will continue to strongly argue for the next tranche of delivery.

“Failure of leadership to deliver a mass transit system fails our city and our region.”

Rees, who will be making the case for another £15m to be spent developing mass transit at the next WECA committee in March.

Norris has declined to comment.
https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/bristol-underground-would-cost-18bn-secret-report-reveals/

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2023, 12:36:31 »

Just a it seemed to me that WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) or more specifically our Metro Mayor had put the whole issue of underground mass transit out of the question, along comes this different take on matters from New Civil Engineer:

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/tunnelling-work-for-planned-bristol-underground-would-be-relatively-easy-22-03-2023/?tkn=1

So, is it back on with WECA or isn't it?  I'm confused (as regulars to the Coffee Shop will likely already know).

infoman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2023, 13:59:48 »

Has anyone actually managed to connect to the site

Future4West

Because I have not.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2023, 16:41:24 »

I haven't found a website of that name to try to connect to.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2023, 08:52:56 »

Future4West is a thing: https://www.future4west.co.uk/

Not very exciting at the moment, but maybe it’ll change with time. I presume the ‘4’ refers to the four proposed rapid transit lines, as well as being a homonym of ‘for’.

If you google it, you may find stuff about a band from Dundalk and all sorts of other things. Google assumes the ‘4’ is a mistake unless you tell it otherwise.

Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2023, 11:34:02 »

Has anyone actually managed to connect to the site

Future4West

Because I have not.

I see a login page but if you go to https://staging.future4west.co.uk/ in Google Chrome and ignore the security messages you can see something on the A38 upgrade which may or may not be news.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: