09:27 Carmarthen to London Paddington
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 04:51:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail Strike Looming  (Read 12231 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2022, 12:11:11 »

The RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))% for next year’s fare rise calculation is this months inflation figure, released just before those August dates….

Govt will use this to full effect, blaming unions for forcing the full RPI% (or even RPI+1%!) if they have to settle for inflation or inflation+ pay rises. Where they may choose not to inplement in full if they can keep the wage rises lower.

Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2022, 14:45:22 »

Mick Lynch was widely admired for his media performance - totally nullifying even the most seasoned journalist ..............

Funny you should say that - I heard him being interviewed this morning and I thought the interviewer sounded completely disinterested in the subject at hand. The questions were lame in the extreme - easily swatted away. If that is an example of a BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) "seasoned journalist"............
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2022, 15:22:56 »

A few days of strikes, even when organised to have edge effects that bleed into each other possibly don't have the effect they would have had today compared with the days of 5-day-a-week commuting.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2022, 09:44:18 »

I am starting to get the feeling that the railway strikes are not having the huge effects that the Unions hoped/predicted. The media are trying to hype things up as much as possible (as expected) but the general public doesn't seem that bothered.
Two years of Covid disruption and all that went with it seem to have taught the public/business/industry how to get by reasonably well, with or without a "normal" train service. In fact many people are relishing the opportunity to "work from home" again. Perhaps Arthur Scargill appearing on the picket line was not a good omen for the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers).......he called an all out strike at completely the wrong time too. 

Exactly this.

Business rail travel/commuting is increasingly more of an option than a necessity in the new world of remote/hybrid working, as evidenced by the falling off in numbers, and this considerably reduces the Unions leverage.

In this context, more strikes at the height of the holiday season may well be even less effective from the Union's perspective - not great for leisure/occasional travellers who are probably the future for the railway, but no-one in the rail industry seems too bothered about them anyway.

Quite endearing to see old Arthur out in his baseball cap again though! The Mummy awakens!

It could be that the Government decide to tough it out - for me, I think the Unions should be offered the same deal that was accepted by ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) in Scotland - I know that some of the issues are subtly different, however it seemed reasonable and if refused, would probably hand the moral high ground back to the employers.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2022, 09:48:45 »

Virtually all the drivers I’ve spoken to would be happy with a Scotrail style deal.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2022, 08:05:29 »

Not sure where the separate RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers)/ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) strike theeads have gone Huh Huh

To note that the TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) have jouned the RMT in striking on 7 TOCs (Train Operating Company), including GWR (Great Western Railway), on August 18 & 20
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2022, 17:14:56 »

To note that the TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) have jouned the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) in striking on 7 TOCs (Train Operating Company), including GWR (Great Western Railway), on August 18 & 20
I take it that would mean any chance of GWR running any sort of service on those two dates are next to zero?
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2022, 17:51:32 »

Virtually all the drivers I’ve spoken to would be happy with a Scotrail style deal.

I'm sure they would, in fact give them another 50p an hour they'd probably work DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)).
  And still have Sunday's off.
 How much extra did they get for operating I.E.T 's ?
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2022, 21:05:01 »

Absolutely!  Better than the 0% currently on offer.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  Print  

Jump to: