19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 00:37:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Work from home to beat Putin, says EU  (Read 1386 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 21, 2022, 21:52:35 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61179640

The EU» (European Union - about) is asking its citizens to drive less, turn down air conditioning and work from home three days a week, to reduce reliance on Russian energy.

The measures, drawn up with the International Energy Agency, would save a typical household €450 (£375) a year.

Buying energy from Russia helps to support its economy and finance the war in Ukraine.

But Europe has said it cannot find alternative supplies, so it is asking citizens to adjust their lifestyles.

The nine-point plan, entitled “Playing My Part”, urges citizens to drive less, by using public transport, or working from home three days a week.

It also calls on citizens to:
* Heat their homes less in winter, and turn the air conditioning down in summer.
* Drive more slowly on highways, with the car air conditioning turned down, which uses less fuel
* Use the train instead of flying
* Travel by public transport, walk, or cycle

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 04:22:46 »

I largely agree.
Energy saving is increasingly important due to concerns about climate change.
And those who don't believe in climate change should consider the greatly increased cost of energy.
And the less oil and gas that we use, the easier it will be to manage without russian supplies.

Public buildings should in my view be heated to no more than 20 degrees in winter.
And cooled to no lower than 24 degrees in summer.

Not certain if the advice about car air conditioning is correct though. At highway speeds, some reports state that the extra drag from open windows uses more fuel than air conditioning and closed windows. At low speeds the drag is minimal and open windows preferable to use of the air conditioning.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 06:58:24 »

Are we on or off message?
https://inews.co.uk/news/education/nadhim-zahawi-civil-servants-return-office-1584972
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 07:08:44 »

I can agree to using public transport more often,as I presume most of us on here are in the free bus section of the community.

But would you really want to spend in excess of eight hours or more  travelling from the west country to scotland by train,when it can be done in less than two hours by plane?

Where the stupidity lies, is, where travellers say I won't travel by plane.

So if the 500 odd passengers than arrived for the Quantas flight to Australia today, said we ain't travelling.

Would Quantas cancel the flight?of course not.

Maybe the EU» (European Union - about) could have stopped the "ghost flights" that were happening during the pandemic so that airlines "could keep their slots"
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 07:26:30 »

I can agree to using public transport more often,as I presume most of us on here are in the free bus section of the community.

Really?  Not me. 
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 07:42:34 »

Really?  Not me. 
I guess free bus passes are generally 65 years plus these days, and a poll on the forum of "are you 65+ or 65-" would be inappropriate these days!
So the general assumption would be a bias of age on this forum might be towards the + end of the spectrum - with a very healthy number in the - sector  Grin

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 08:11:44 »

Really?  Not me. 
I guess free bus passes are generally 65 years plus these days, and a poll on the forum of "are you 65+ or 65-" would be inappropriate these days!
So the general assumption would be a bias of age on this forum might be towards the + end of the spectrum - with a very healthy number in the - sector  Grin

If I can choose to "identify" as a woman, unicorn etc, is it possible to identify as 65? I certainly feel it some mornings.......
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 08:57:53 »

But would you really want to spend in excess of eight hours or more  travelling from the west country to scotland by train,when it can be done in less than two hours by plane?

Where the stupidity lies, is, where travellers say I won't travel by plane.

So if the 500 odd passengers than arrived for the Quantas flight to Australia today, said we ain't travelling.

Would Quantas cancel the flight?of course not.

Maybe the EU» (European Union - about) could have stopped the "ghost flights" that were happening during the pandemic so that airlines "could keep their slots"

For relatively infrequent trips between the West country and Scotland, I would accept train travel, and might actually prefer the train. PROVIDED THAT it was a proper full length intercity train with a buffet and a restaurant. Not at all keen on 8+ hours on a voyager, IET (Intercity Express Train) or anything similar.
A sleeper would be better still.

A comfortable train journey with padded seats, catering, and a good view, or alternatively a good quality sleeper could be PART OF the holiday rather a discomfort to be endured enroute TO the holiday.
If anyone needs to travel frequently between the West country and Scotland then they may have made unwise choices regarding housing and employment. There of course exceptions such as MPs (Member of Parliament) and those in short term employment that does not justify moving house.

And as regards the airline example, of course the airline wont normally cancel a flight because of a "one off" absence of bookings. If however passenger numbers were ROUTINELY  too low to be economic then they might well withdraw the service, unless subsidised.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2022, 09:53:01 »

Free bus passes go with state retirement age now, which is no longer 65.  You need to be 66 now and will soon be 67 (for those now 61). 
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2022, 10:33:59 »

Really?  Not me. 

If I can choose to "identify" as a woman, unicorn etc, is it possible to identify as 65? I certainly feel it some mornings.......
No.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46425774
A Dutchman who wanted to change his date of birth to boost dating prospects has lost his legal battle to do so.

Emile Ratelband, still aged 69, wanted to change his birth date by 20 years to avoid what he called discrimination.

"We live in a time when you can change your name and change your gender. Why can't I decide my own age?" he said.

But the court disagreed, highlighting that many rights in law are based on a person's age, and changing it at will could cause many problems.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2022, 10:37:20 »

Not certain if the advice about car air conditioning is correct though. At highway speeds, some reports state that the extra drag from open windows uses more fuel than air conditioning and closed windows. At low speeds the drag is minimal and open windows preferable to use of the air conditioning.
Where is the advice to drive with open windows? It says "Drive more slowly on highways, with the car air conditioning turned down, which uses less fuel". Down not off.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2022, 10:51:34 »

If I woke up as a female with four legs I think the least of my worries would be my age....
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2022, 12:32:58 »

In London, 60, still?

Mark
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2022, 13:12:55 »

2 separate products though, there’s the “freedom pass” in London which is their equivalent of the national ENCTS (English National Concessionary Travel Scheme) bus pass, although with validity on other modes, not just buses; and eligibility for that is from 66, and it will rise with the state pension age, so same age eligibility as my bus pass

There’s also a separate 60+ Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card, which currently fills the 60-65 gap to so as to retain the starting age at 60. 

I suppose the former meets the national requirement, the latter is effectively a TFL (Transport for London) optional extra.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2022, 13:13:18 »

Where is the advice to drive with open windows? It says "Drive more slowly on highways, with the car air conditioning turned down, which uses less fuel". Down not off.

The trouble with that is - you can't turn the chiller unit down, it only has two settings:  on or off. If you increase the temperature you set on the controls, it just mixes in more heated air from the engine to the cold air. It's possible to use thermostatic control of the cabin temperature to run the chiller a smaller fraction of the time, but that is limited in its effect unless the air heating/cooling is recirculating cabin air. And thermostatic control has not become standard on almost all trim levels while aircon has.

Electric cars, of course, are very different.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: