Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
08:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
16:12 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
06:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
09:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
10:06 London Paddington to Newbury
10:08 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
10:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
10:24 Newbury to London Paddington
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 11:06:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[53] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[36] IETs at Melksham
[32] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[30] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[28] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[20] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Right to Roam protest planned in West Berkshire  (Read 3304 times)
Marlburian

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2022, 11:51:47 »

It may be the way that this article is written, but this protest seems likely only to stir up ill-feeling;

Mass Right to Roam protest planned in West Berkshire

I suspect that Kinder to Colour has merely jumped on the Right to Roam bandwagon - which I don't support anyway, certainly as far as West Berkshire is concerned. It has quite enough countryside available to the public, and I've seen little evidence that private land with Open Access is much used.

However, I'm very conscious that my weekday environmental work groups are comprised almost entirely of white males, with the weekend ones being better balanced with white females. In my 17 years of belonging to such groups, we've had only a couple of non-whites come along.

Tomorrow I'm working at a farm that hosts coachloads of school-children from quite a wide area. On occasion there's been a number of POC (which, judging from the article, appears to be an acceptable acronym). I must ask the manager how they react to the countryside.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 12:17:42 »

Try this link instead.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 13:06:05 »

I haven't heard of Kinder to Colour, but the movement to get more non-white people to enjoy "the outdoors" is a bit older than the current "Right to Roam" protests. Steppin Sistas is a group I know of in the Bristol area:
https://youtu.be/tdQYTc2IiLQ

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 15:56:26 »

More power to them.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 16:42:50 »

I'm with Marlburian on this one. What's more, as an amateur naturalist I am dismayed at the thought of a large scale protest at a time when the wildlife is vulnerable - breeding season for birds, crucial season for many wild flowers and the habitats of other wildlife too. Recreational pressure is a major problem for many sensitive species and habitats near urban areas.

Being alongside the Thames Path and near the Ridgeway, I do see plenty of "POC" walking them too. I expect like most users, these are predominantly from the middle classes, who get out into the countryside more (will that comment get a response?) for (I would imagine) a combination of reasons, including having the disposable income to spend travelling out of town to do so. I have not though carried out any counts mind to see if the proportion matches the national proportion of our various identifiable ethnic groups.

If you are going to encourage a greater diversity of visitors to the countryside, perhaps we should start in schools. If you don't come from the proverbial "nice middle class" background and have no family history of visiting and appreciating the outdoors, my guess would be that this would be the best way of encouraging it. And it might help with the diversity of the next generation of volunteers who will follow Marlburian into the field volunteering for environmental projects.

For heaven's sake please do not encourage this kind of irresponsible behaviour - how on earth are you going to encourage a welcome if you are going to trash the countryside with a protest like this? It will only engender hostility towards the protesters.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 17:08:15 »

POC?  I'm white - isn't that a colour anymore?
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 18:12:29 »

Let's hope that the trespassers, of whatever colour,  don't leave any litter - and how will they cope with "personal needs" miles from civilisation?

Snowdonia: Poo on popular paths 'a danger to health'

Of course the countryside can easily be accessed by train, which I've used for walks from nearly all the  stations between Oxford and Maidenhead - and occasionally Hungerford and Pewsey.

Countryside Education Trust

John Simonds Trust

This latter one is where I work occasionally; recently it's built a hut to cater for autistic visitors.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 18:30:51 »

I'm unaware that the protesters plan to "trash the countryside."

It's shameful that the report will not see the light of day. Tory ministers doing the bidding of wealthy landowners. Said landowners who receive millions in public subsidy to maintain woodland, water courses and for re-wilding.

Just 8% of the UK (United Kingdom) countryside is publicly accessible. Only 3% of rivers and their banks are accessible. No one is advocating for a complete free for all. Productive farmland, nature reserves, danger zones and the like should continue to have limited acess. But there is far too much of the natural landscape that is closed off to the public for no good reason, other than it 'belongs' to someone. Opening up this land, coupled with more education on how to responsibly roam, is the direction we should be moving in. If it takes protest to achieve that aim then so be it.

What little land we curently enjoy access to is thanks to protesters of the past. It's worth remembering that.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 06:58:26 »

Possibly of interest is the item on West Berks website "Preventing the Dedication of Public Rights of Way"

https://citizen.westberks.gov.uk/prowdedication

The register under Section 31A Highways Act 1980 is interesting

https://citizen.westberks.gov.uk/media/35486/Section-31A-Highways-Act-1980-Register-of-Landowner-Deposits/pdf/Register__section_316_Highways_Act_1980.pdf?m=637788798477400000

quite a few off-shore addresses. The map suggests that there is a more general need for Right to Roam in West Berkshire. At least West Berks publishes its s31 list, not all local authorities are quite so open.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 09:51:10 »

POC?  I'm white - isn't that a colour anymore?
Exactly what was said by one of the participants in a discussion on the term BAME on Bristol24/7 recently. None of the participants were white, btw (and the approximate consensus was that BAME was the best of a bunch of bad terms).

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 09:54:35 »

Let's hope that the trespassers, of whatever colour,  don't leave any litter - and how will they cope with "personal needs" miles from civilisation?

HYOH as long as you LNT.

Now we have FLAs to add the ever-growing list of TLAs (three letter acronym)!

(Hike your own hike, leave no trace)

Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 22:41:27 »

I do find myself thinking that the campaign is linking two separate issues in a way that may be counterproductive, appearing to confirm some people's views that non-white people are all troublemakers who don't belong in the countryside. It's already triggered some predictably unpleasant comments on the Get Reading website and no-one has trespassed yet!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2022, 05:28:55 »

I do find myself thinking that the campaign is linking two separate issues in a way that may be counterproductive, appearing to confirm some people's views that non-white people are all troublemakers who don't belong in the countryside. It's already triggered some predictably unpleasant comments on the Get Reading website and no-one has trespassed yet!

Ralph, you have put into words the feelings of unease I had / have about this protest.  I am passionate about equality ... and about environmental issues ... and about openness (be it of speech or access) but I fear that combining them into a single campaign in the way this one is doing (as I understand it) seems destined to combine the forces against any of the three into a united unhealthy (IMHO (in my humble opinion)) opposition.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2022, 09:48:49 »

<snip> It's already triggered some predictably unpleasant comments on the Get Reading website and no-one has trespassed yet!

As an aside, online newspapers who don't curate their below-the-fold comments sections - and who require registration before a visitor can flag a comment - said online newspapers can get in the bin. Reach, I'm looking at you. Editors who run blatantly divisive and inflammatory articles - yup, in the bin too. And escalators on the London underground, lined with ancient LCD screens putting out about 200 watts of heat each into the *heat saturated environment* §§ of the deep tube - in order to display photos of the ex-president of the USA and an ex-newspaper editor with a very questionable approach - yup, in the bin.

Mark

§§ The 'hot LCD versus London Underground air temperature' issue. The energy use aside, this isn't exactly rocket science, yes?
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2022, 11:15:57 »

... It's already triggered some predictably unpleasant comments on the Get Reading website and no-one has trespassed yet!

I often despair at the apparent mentality and the evident illiteracy of many people who append comments to news articles.

Yesterday I briefly mentioned the original article to a guy who arranges educational visits to the countryside for young people and he said that those who showed the most enthusiasm were often of colour because they didn't otherwise have the opportunity to leave their towns.

About ten years ago, I drove a Spanish lady living in Inner London from the station to my house and she exclaimed with delight at the greenery as we passed the entrance to a relatively unexceptional council park. At that time I was including  well-known London parks (Richmond, Regent's, St James's) on my visits  to the Capital and found them very pleasant, and on weekday afternoons not busy. If one really wants to visit open spaces, it's easy enough to do so if one makes the effort. She herself lived near Battersea Park.

To return to the Mass Trespass, I repeat my contention that there's already plenty of  countryside, certainly in West Berkshire, open to the public. I walk about 600 miles a year and have a mental list of routes that I would like to take that amount to far more than that.

I do concede that there are a few private tracks that I would like to take for the sake of convenience.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: