Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
05:47 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 06:29:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Weymouth front revamp and ripping up (not used) rail lines  (Read 4001 times)
infoman

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2022, 19:09:30 »

Been featured on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) spolight news for the south west of England on Friday evening.

Available for 24 hours only on the play again facilty.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 19:43:21 »

While compiling that report Paul Clifton posted this picture on Twitter.

Clearly glowing red despite the vegetation.  Be a worry if it was showing any other aspect.  It is the exit signal from the line to the harbour which, as we know, has been largely lifted!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 20:01:28 »

Also available on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) South Today.

A must for all Weymouth transport fans.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 20:49:35 »

Joining the lifting of that disused track to current issues with passenger numbers on the railway?  I’d say it’s two completely unrelated stories.

If he wants to know why the signal is still working?  It’s a significant cost to fully alter the signalling system, so as in probably hundreds of other examples, you have a red signal leading from or to nowhere.  I suspect that as that line is still usable up until just beyond that point, there’s been no urgency to remove it, I believe it would still need a small fixed red pointing the other way on a set of buffers?
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 21:46:27 »

I heard somewhere the quay branch stub is being retained as a storage area, so the signal has to remain lit as it is lamp proved, if no lamp, then stub cannot be signalled into.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 11:14:05 »

The sectional appendix still showed 21 ch (say 400m) available, which I think is about the length between the junction with the single track section of the main line, and the gates on the north side of Jubilee Cl near that signal.   Possibly a bit longer than needed for any reasonably expected use?

Paul
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 15:21:26 »

Title should probably be Weymouth station front; the seafront is unaffected, and was glorious when I visited a couple of weeks back.

This does look as though it should be a big improvement, and on a related note although much of the old tramway through the streets has been removed there is still a section through a car park which I suspect will survive for some time as it seems unlikely to bother anyone or need any maintenance.  I remember watching the boat trains creeping through the town in the early 70s.  A fascinating but distinctly cumbersome and archaic operation, and quite a spectator sport with the almost inevitable wait for a badly-parked car to be moved out of the way.  I could see why it stopped running before the boats did.

I was pleased to see that the local bus fleet still lives in a proper garage opposite the station rather than being stored exposed to the elements on a patch of wasteland as is more typical nowadays; particularly beneficial given the sea air.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 18:56:52 »

Two sections of track have been kept in place to preserve some historic element of the Weymouth Branch Line – with a 30m section at the start of the line in Commercial Road and another section in ‘The Loop’ near Cosens Quay Car Park left in place.
From
https://www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/roads-highways-maintenance/highway-improvements/weymouth-branch-line-track-removal
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 10:53:21 »

My partner caught a train from Bath to Weymouth last week, which arrived an hour late, and said that when she tried to get off at Weymouth, the platform was so crowded by people waiting to board it, that it became dangerous to try to walk down the platform, and especially beyond where the end of the train was, as she felt she would get pushed off the platform by the crowds.

Although I haven't experienced it that overcrowded, there have always been large crowds on the platform when I have got off, and it does make it awkward to get out of the station easily. The platform certainly doesn't feel like it has enough capacity for the demands on popular services.

Is this an issue that is being addressed at all?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2022, 11:54:10 »

My partner caught a train from Bath to Weymouth last week, which arrived an hour late, and said that when she tried to get off at Weymouth, the platform was so crowded by people waiting to board it, that it became dangerous to try to walk down the platform, and especially beyond where the end of the train was, as she felt she would get pushed off the platform by the crowds.

Although I haven't experienced it that overcrowded, there have always been large crowds on the platform when I have got off, and it does make it awkward to get out of the station easily. The platform certainly doesn't feel like it has enough capacity for the demands on popular services.

Is this platform 1 that you are referring to froome? If so, I agree that there isn't much capacity on this platform when there are passengers waiting for the incoming train on a busy summers day.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 14:47:01 »

Is this platform 1 that you are referring to froome? If so, I agree that there isn't much capacity on this platform when there are passengers waiting for the incoming train on a busy summers day.

Probably, it is the one on the left if you stand in the station foyer.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2022, 20:59:12 »

Weymouth station was cut right back at a low point and these days is woefully inadequate on a nice summer's day. Even in the least destructive options in things like the Serpell Report, Weymouth was to only be the terminus of a line running from Southampton and that platform is just a token "we had better provide something for the moment" for the moment while the old GWR (Great Western Railway) line to Yeovil dies.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 11:31:34 »

Further data - from OpenTrain Times, and for NLS via out map page

Click on the images to see them bigger

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2022, 17:37:30 »

The platforms normally used by SWT (South West Trains) are the 1957 excursion platforms. The rest of the station was demolished in preparation for electrification and a new, short platform built for the GWR (Great Western Railway) services

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/weymouth/
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2022, 12:26:04 »

Quite surprised at the amount of made ground to the left of the railway in Weymouth since 1900.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14.136666666666667&lat=50.61924&lon=-2.44919&layers=168&b=4

Mark
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: