Delayed
06:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
07:12 Plymouth to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 08:54:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] You see all sorts on the bus.
[56] Where have I been?
[49] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[41] "We can’t get from A to B in Britain and it might just be th...
[38] "Mayflower"
[32] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Could you manage with just a "carry on" for a week's holiday  (Voting closed: June 09, 2022, 13:48:12)
Yes, of course, I do - 2 (6.9%)
If necessary, yes - quite easy - 6 (20.7%)
Yes, if I really had to - 3 (10.3%)
It would depend on the type of holiday and destination - 15 (51.7%)
No, I could not - 3 (10.3%)
Don't know - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Wearing the same clothes throughout your holiday.  (Read 2480 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 02, 2022, 13:48:12 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61671829

Airline passengers should take just one carry-on bag on holiday with them and not check-in luggage to avoid delays, according to industry figures.

Is it just me that read that, and wondered whether the operational and staffing convenience and cost  of the airline industry comes above the service the customer is looking for.  A slippery slope.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 17:49:37 »

Would only need a tee shirt, shorts, flip flops and a budgie smuggler for a beach holiday  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 18:40:54 »

Wearing the same clothes for a week is unrealistic. However two or three changes of shirts and underwear should fit into a carry on bag, and would suffice in many cases.
The better types of hotel offer a guest laundry service, and those on a tighter budget can always wash underwear and t shirts by hand.

For a family there is the option of a coin operated laundry, these are found almost everywhere.

Not applicable in my case as I have no intention of flying due to the fuel used.

For the authentic holiday holiday experience, try sleeping on a hard floor at home, with minimal bedding. This replicates the airport experience at almost no cost.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 19:04:06 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61671829

Airline passengers should take just one carry-on bag on holiday with them and not check-in luggage to avoid delays, according to industry figures.

Is it just me that read that, and wondered whether the operational and staffing convenience and cost  of the airline industry comes above the service the customer is looking for.  A slippery slope.

Well I certainly didn't read that into it

For the last few days the news has been full of the story that, following large numbers of lay-offs during the pandemic, the airline industry is having major problems in refilling those posts again. This is hardly surprising given that they are generally all lowly-paid with unsocial hours and many of the former emlyees would have found more attractive ways of scraping a living

I also heard this evening that the industry has been refused their request for temporary immigration visas to help overcome the problem

"Take back control" is sounding increasingly hollow as  time progresses....
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 08:53:31 »

I wouldn't (have) liked to go on a ski holiday with just a carry-on, but for something much warmer, why not ... happy to rinse and go along the way.  I do look and wonder about the amount of luggage people - ourselves included - take on cruises; could quite cut down there if it wasn't for formal nights.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 10:05:35 »

I wouldn't (have) liked to go on a ski holiday with just a carry-on, but for something much warmer, why not ... happy to rinse and go along the way.  I do look and wonder about the amount of luggage people - ourselves included - take on cruises; could quite cut down there if it wasn't for formal nights.

How many formal nights on a week's cruise?

(You could always wear your tux and pack the rest, you'd certainly stand out whilst boarding!)  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 12:13:32 »

How many formal nights on a week's cruise?

(You could always wear your tux and pack the rest, you'd certainly stand out whilst boarding!)  Smiley

Usually one, but we have seen two.   We HAVE seen people checking in with some interesting travel clothes, but with public transport and long waits and procedures, comfort is king for us in that case.

Now - if fancy dress was an allowed alternative on formal nights, and costumes were available for hire on board, we might be able to managed with far less luggage.

PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2022, 12:24:55 »

On the subject of cruise ships' formal nights, I can offer some reassurance to people who may be shy about dressing up and therefore wary of taking a cruise.  In my experience - on three different cruise lines - there has always been a non-formal option available on the formal nights, namely the buffet dining.  So you don't have to take formal clothes for a cruise and therefore you can travel light.   
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 17:35:11 »

Of course back in the good old days, luggage for a cruise was less restricted than when flying.
Special trains, with ample luggage space, used to convey passengers to the ship, often via a tramway that ran right up to the dockside.

But obviously one can not expect that these days, you are lucky to get a standard suburban multiple unit that without extra luggage space, or of course any catering.
Nor, at Weymouth is there any question of the train going to the dockside. There might be a bus, or a mini cab, or something. This is called progress.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 19:11:03 »

Of course back in the good old days, luggage for a cruise was less restricted than when flying.
Special trains, with ample luggage space, used to convey passengers to the ship, often via a tramway that ran right up to the dockside.

But obviously one can not expect that these days, you are lucky to get a standard suburban multiple unit that without extra luggage space, or of course any catering.
Nor, at Weymouth is there any question of the train going to the dockside. There might be a bus, or a mini cab, or something. This is called progress.

Why would you want a train to the dockside at Weymouth? There's nothing to board when you get there.

These good old days you speak of? The scheduled shipping services of yore are very different to today's leisure cruises.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 21:20:38 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2022, 19:19:02 »

I seem to manage at home with the same clothes.  Why should going away be different?  Grin
jester

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2022, 15:27:10 »

Of course it is dependent on where you are going,
especially its hotter/colder than here. But we really
should make more of an effort to cut down on the amount
of luggage also taken on trains! I see massive suitcases being
trundled around and taking up space on board, and I wonder exactly what people
are carrying and to where? It may be legit, but really, we are not doing
ourselves any favors. Sometimes these need assistance to be moved on/off
board, only to then incur someone elses help. Just take less!
Sorry to rant, its been one of my things to live by of the last few years.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2022, 17:52:03 »

Depends on destination?
Do I need formal wear?
Is it hot or cold?
I frequently use Ryanair and play them at their no extras game just taking a back pack.
If I just need normal clothes and it’s hot, yes easily. I’ll buy toiletries at destination, and hand wash t shirts and underwear. They dry in a couple of hours.
I can comfortably get 7 pairs of underwear, 4-5 t shirts and a spare pair of shorts and
Swim shorts  in my Ryanair “small” size backpack.
Make sure I book somewhere that supplies towels

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2022, 12:27:13 »

But we really should make more of an effort to cut down on the amount of luggage also taken on trains! I see massive suitcases being trundled around and taking up space on board, and I wonder exactly what people are carrying and to where?

Don't get me started on suitcases on crowded trains...

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2022, 21:31:52 »

Looks like most of us could, though only a very few do - a change that could well happen

Yes, of course, I do   - 6.9%
If necessary, yes - quite easy   - 20.7%
Yes, if I really had to   - 10.3%
It would depend on the type of holiday and destination   - 51.7%
No, I could not   - 10.3%
Don't know   - 0%

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: