Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 13:13:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[153] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[97] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[41] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[38] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[37] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 56
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024  (Read 81839 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2022, 18:59:29 »

Sadly for the travelling public these strikes will only end up with increased fares and less services in the long run.  As for many of the NR» (Network Rail - home page) staff in Maintenance that are taking strike action they will more than likely end leaving NR and work for many of the contractors who are offering substantially higher salaries than NR and on better terms

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2022, 19:57:11 »

It may start moving the conversation in areas that railway unions and those working in it would find uncomfortable. For example this letter from independent pensions expert John Ralfe in The Times today:
In quoting headline pay, unions ignore the annual value of the generous defined benefit pensions — deferred salary — and a huge part of overall pay for rail staff. Not only are rail pensions guaranteed they still have a retirement age of 60 and unlimited annual inflation increases. After a member's own contributions, the annual cost to rail companies — and ultimately taxpayers — is more than 50 per cent of salary. Meanwhile, even the most generous private sector defined contribution pensions have employer contributions of 15 per cent of salary, and most are much lower.

The answer to any pay squeeze for rail staff is simple: reduce the generosity of future pensions by closing the defined benefit scheme and moving to defined contributions, and then use some of the savings to increase pay.

Seriously?

I genuinely didn't even realise those sort of "gold plated" pensions still existed......certainly not able to be taken at 60!

That's 7 years before retirement age for most others!

I can imagine the reaction of Bruvver Lynch et al though if moves were made to bring these pensions into line with those the rest of us have to look forward to, without the benefit of being financed and the risk borne by the taxpayer.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2022, 20:44:45 »

It may start moving the conversation in areas that railway unions and those working in it would find uncomfortable. For example this letter from independent pensions expert John Ralfe in The Times today:
In quoting headline pay, unions ignore the annual value of the generous defined benefit pensions — deferred salary — and a huge part of overall pay for rail staff. Not only are rail pensions guaranteed they still have a retirement age of 60 and unlimited annual inflation increases. After a member's own contributions, the annual cost to rail companies — and ultimately taxpayers — is more than 50 per cent of salary. Meanwhile, even the most generous private sector defined contribution pensions have employer contributions of 15 per cent of salary, and most are much lower.

The answer to any pay squeeze for rail staff is simple: reduce the generosity of future pensions by closing the defined benefit scheme and moving to defined contributions, and then use some of the savings to increase pay.

Seriously?

The Rail Pension Scheme (RPS) which has its origins from BR (British Rail(ways)) Pension Fund still exists, it is currently protected in the 1993 Act "the indefensible right" this was brought about by Robert Maxwell and the fraudulent activates that happened to Mirror Group pension fund that was discovered when he fell off of his Yachet.  Some rail pension scheme benefits are lost if someone moves rail employer, I have moved mine 3 times since 1998.

Of all of the Nationalised industries pension schemes the RPS was the only one that was not "robbed" by the treasury during the privatisation process, the miners, power industry, teaches all had their funds raide; the Unions are concerned that the Government will raid the RPS during the formation of GBR (Great British Railways) .........................

The RPS is no longer a true final salary scheme, the contribution % by the employee are quite high but it's matched by the employer.

I genuinely didn't even realise those sort of "gold plated" pensions still existed......certainly not able to be taken at 60!

I can imagine the reaction of Bruvver Lynch et al though if moves were made to bring these pensions into line with those the rest of us have to look forward to, without the benefit of being financed and the risk borne by the taxpayer.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2022, 21:34:04 »

Such 'gold plated' pensions were not just public sector.  Once upon a time many private sector employers offered such pensions.  They were encouraged by government to make up for the fact that the UK (United Kingdom) had and still has one of the lowest state pension payments anywhere in Europe.

When UK governments started to look at surpluses in pension funds in the 1980's they decided these were a tax dodge so Norman Lamont introduced new rules which meant that employers with what government saw as excessive surpluses were required to either improve benefits or take contribution holidays.  Twenty years on and investment returns were not as good employers started to have problems and needed to put more money it to fund deficits.  Much blame was placed on Gordon Brown as chancellor, but the damage was done much earlier.

As a trustee of one such fund that took a contribution holiday were were advised that were it not for that government interference that forced us to take a contribution holiday the fund would not have the massive deficit. 

In a different fund where I am a member the private company could not support the deficit and I am left with a much reduced pension because it has gone into the pension protection fund. 

So government failed to fund pensions then sabotaged the system that made up for this. 
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2022, 21:41:54 »

What happens to union members who were due to start work at say 20-00 on the evening before a strike day.
Are they expected to turn up as usual and walk out at midnight ?
Or not to turn up at all.

Likewise, what about those due to start work at say 22-00 on a strike day ? Delay starting work until midnight ?

Or to take the extreme case, what about a worker booked for an 8 hour shift, of which 7.5 hours fall into the 24 hour strike period, and 30 minutes into the following or preceeding non strike day.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2022, 22:00:46 »

Such 'gold plated' pensions were not just public sector.  Once upon a time many private sector employers offered such pensions.  They were encouraged by government to make up for the fact that the UK (United Kingdom) had and still has one of the lowest state pension payments anywhere in Europe.

When UK governments started to look at surpluses in pension funds in the 1980's they decided these were a tax dodge so Norman Lamont introduced new rules which meant that employers with what government saw as excessive surpluses were required to either improve benefits or take contribution holidays.  Twenty years on and investment returns were not as good employers started to have problems and needed to put more money it to fund deficits.  Much blame was placed on Gordon Brown as chancellor, but the damage was done much earlier.

As a trustee of one such fund that took a contribution holiday were were advised that were it not for that government interference that forced us to take a contribution holiday the fund would not have the massive deficit. 

In a different fund where I am a member the private company could not support the deficit and I am left with a much reduced pension because it has gone into the pension protection fund. 

So government failed to fund pensions then sabotaged the system that made up for this. 

Without wishing to go too far off topic, I think you'll find it was Nigel Lawson, not Norman Lamont but yes certainly Brown landed a killer blow......this explains it rather well.......

https://theconversation.com/britains-great-pension-robbery-why-the-defined-benefits-gold-standard-is-a-luxury-of-the-past-100844
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2022, 00:38:14 »

Seriously?

For non BR (British Rail(ways)) staff it is currently 62. Bear in mind the shift pattern that workers do. Wrecks the body. Many have blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. How does a body cope with finishing late, at say 1am on a Sunday morning, having a 'day off' and booking on at 3am on the Monday morning? Not all the time but does happen, more frequently then it should. Imagine doing that for 40+ years.

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2022, 00:40:31 »

What happens to union members who were due to start work at say 20-00 on the evening before a strike day.

Likewise, what about those due to start work at say 22-00 on a strike day ? Delay starting work until midnight ?

Or to take the extreme case, what about a worker booked for an 8 hour shift, of which 7.5 hours fall into the 24 hour strike period, and 30 minutes into the following or preceeding non strike day.

They are still expected to work their shift

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2022, 00:59:40 »

For a 20:00 start the day before, they book on as normal and should be available to complete their shift. As the original post states you are only ‘instructed’ by the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) to not book on for shifts commencing 00:01-23:59 on strike days.

So for a 22:00 book on on a strike day they would not book on and therefore not be available for the whole shift.

Those basic principles also apply for the ‘extreme example’ you gave.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2022, 01:39:44 »

Thanks for the info in the previous two posts.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2022, 03:13:33 »

For non BR (British Rail(ways)) staff it is currently 62. Bear in mind the shift pattern that workers do. Wrecks the body. Many have blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. How does a body cope with finishing late, at say 1am on a Sunday morning, having a 'day off' and booking on at 3am on the Monday morning? Not all the time but does happen, more frequently then it should. Imagine doing that for 40+ years.

I have long felt that the present shift pattern for railway work is a powerful disincentive to recruitment and retention of staff, and it does indeed have health consequences.

A far better policy in my view would be largely fixed working hours. Some of these hours would be anti social, but in my view fixed anti social shifts are preferable to continual changes.
Regularly starting work at say 03-00 and working until say 11-00 would in my view be preferable to the present arrangements. Overtime working by mutual agreement could consist of EITHER working 6 such shifts in a week rather than 5 shifts, or alternatively starting at say 01-00 instead of at 03-00.

I know of someone who left the railway and now works in a power station. The PERMANENT night shifts rather than an endlessly changing shift pattern was the main reason for the change.

Henry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2022, 06:26:52 »

I have long felt that the present shift pattern for railway work is a powerful disincentive to recruitment and retention of staff, and it does indeed have health consequences.

A far better policy in my view would be largely fixed working hours. Some of these hours would be anti social, but in my view fixed anti social shifts are preferable to continual changes.
Regularly starting work at say 03-00 and working until say 11-00 would in my view be preferable to the present arrangements. Overtime working by mutual agreement could consist of EITHER working 6 such shifts in a week rather than 5 shifts, or alternatively starting at say 01-00 instead of at 03-00.

I know of someone who left the railway and now works in a power station. The PERMANENT night shifts rather than an endlessly changing shift pattern was the main reason for the change.
I seem to remember as a Conductor employed by BR, we did work such shifts. Then their was a dispute over a flexible rostering agreement, if I remember correctly.
GWR 158

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2022, 07:24:59 »

Do GWR (Great Western Railway) provide rail replacment buses on strike days?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2022, 07:35:04 »

Do GWR provide rail replacment buses on strike days?

From GWR website:
www.gwr.com/strike

We are not able to provide bus replacement services.

A useful page with lots of information and answers to questions which I’m sure will be continually updated as and when GWR have further information.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2022, 07:43:56 »

Do GWR provide rail replacment buses on strike days?

There are not enough busses or drivers to cover the service, and the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s are not obliged to provide a replacement as it is something outside of their control and they will have given sufficient notice to their customers.

If they did attempt to provide a bus service the TOC would get slated in the media for long queues, slow and late running services best to just for them to point the finger of blame on the Unions

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 56
  Print  

Jump to: