Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:19:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 56
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024  (Read 81743 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2022, 22:03:51 »

It is clear that some trains did run but that the disruption was significant.

Does anyone know if the disruption was as "good" as the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) expected ? If the disruption was "better" than expected than that seems likely to encourage more strikes.

If however the strike was less effective than was hoped, then that might discourage more strikes.

The RMT will no doubt declare the strike a great success, and "the railway" will no doubt claim that they ran more services than expected, and hope to do even better in future strikes.

Are there any more independent views ?

Well - Transport Focus visited stations closed, open with just a single service, and open with rather more.  I don't know if you would consider these a success, but these are blindingly obvious findings:

At Cannon Street in London, which is closed, it was eerily quiet

An early-morning visit to Brighton revealed a much quieter station than normal and plenty of staff on hand for those passengers who were travelling.

Another colleague who visited Fleet station for us reported that it looked like most people had stayed away and reverted to working from home.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
nickswift99

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2022, 22:13:58 »

We can only hope that Her Majesty didn't fancy a night out in Slough tonight.

I can only hope for Her Majesty that a night on the Slough tiles is never on her agenda.

I'm fairly certain that the emergency marmalade sandwich would need deploying should she find herself stranded.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2022, 07:02:31 »

Following further on "how effective was the strike?"

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

One new factor in this rail strike was that many commuters are now set up to work from home if they need to.

So, although some bosses will no doubt have found it frustrating, it means the impact isn't as serious for some workers as it might have been in the past.

Frank Bird, a senior network planner at Highways England, said in the post-pandemic world people had come up with a much better Plan B when they can't get into work, and for many that means working from home rather than driving.

Long article, much more detail

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #123 on: June 22, 2022, 07:06:34 »

I have renamed this topic from "RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) strike days announced" to "RMT strike days, June 2022" to reflect the strikes (at least the first one) actually taking place and the information about them all being within this topic.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2022, 07:30:00 »

The Mummy returns!

Good to see the old boy getting out and about on the picket line - still wearing the 1984 baseball cap too!

I'm sure the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) are hoping it isn't an omen!

Smiley
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2022, 14:14:05 »

I had a look at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) earlier to see how things were going. Something that grabbed my attention was the train formations; there's a 2 car on the remnants of the CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)-PMH route, and several 5 cars on intercity routes. A bit irritating when the operators are generally advising people to expect busy trains, on a day when the stock utilisation rate is well below the usual, but it's understandable that positioning stock for an optimal service start may be difficult today (and I've no idea what actual loadings have been like today). I hope the 5 car appearances on journeys serving Castle Cary don't persist later this week! Contrast with SWR» (South Western Railway - about); a look at Waterloo shows almost exclusively maximum length 10/12 car trains.

I spoke to an ex colleague who now lives in an area where GWR (Great Western Railway) don’t have service during strike days. He’s more than a little upset that the advice is don’t travel, he doesn’t have a train service to travel on and needs one to get to work*. However GWR are able to run several trains a day to “allow people to go to a music festival that doesn’t have any music playing for days”.

*If he’s a no show at his job he doesn’t get paid. Doesn’t believe that GWR have got their priorities straight as a result.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2022, 14:42:29 »

I had a look at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) earlier to see how things were going. Something that grabbed my attention was the train formations; there's a 2 car on the remnants of the CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)-PMH route, and several 5 cars on intercity routes. A bit irritating when the operators are generally advising people to expect busy trains, on a day when the stock utilisation rate is well below the usual, but it's understandable that positioning stock for an optimal service start may be difficult today (and I've no idea what actual loadings have been like today). I hope the 5 car appearances on journeys serving Castle Cary don't persist later this week! Contrast with SWR» (South Western Railway - about); a look at Waterloo shows almost exclusively maximum length 10/12 car trains.

I spoke to an ex colleague who now lives in an area where GWR (Great Western Railway) don’t have service during strike days. He’s more than a little upset that the advice is don’t travel, he doesn’t have a train service to travel on and needs one to get to work*. However GWR are able to run several trains a day to “allow people to go to a music festival that doesn’t have any music playing for days”.

*If he’s a no show at his job he doesn’t get paid. Doesn’t believe that GWR have got their priorities straight as a result.

It may be that GWR had no choice in the lack of services to your exColleague. As  I understand it, most of the places lacking GWR trains was the lack of Network Rail staff to keep the lines open.  The only exception was Melksham where the line was open - 4 trains each way on strike day - but they didn't stop them!

didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2022, 15:16:08 »

Bang goes even more public sympathy (to be fair, there was very little to lose)

A YouGov poll just released does indeed show more of the public 'oppose' the strikes than are 'for' them...but not by very much at all - a difference of just 8% in fact:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/rail-tubes-strikes-london-underground-oppose-support-new-poll-b1007535.html
As with any opinion poll, the results depend on the exact wording of the question, and possibly what is asked leading up to the question. A poll taken around the same time by a different pollster (ComRes) indicates 58% of people think the rail strikes are justified. Still finely balanced though.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2022, 15:39:33 »

Yes I agree. 

Some of yesterday’s media interviews with Mick Lynch verged on the ridiculous IMHO (in my humble opinion) and made it ridiculously easy for him. 

I’m no fan, but by and large was fairly impressed with how he handled the media.  More so than Shapps anyway.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2022, 17:45:19 »

It may be that GWR had no choice in the lack of services to your exColleague. As  I understand it, most of the places lacking GWR trains was the lack of Network Rail staff to keep the lines open.  The only exception was Melksham where the line was open - 4 trains each way on strike day - but they didn't stop them!

I know that, you know that, but try telling him that.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2022, 06:58:14 »

Be careful what comparisons you use?
https://twitter.com/SueSuezep/status/1539203545529991172?cxt=HHwWiICyhYferNwqAAAA
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2022, 08:26:16 »

Paddington looking very quiet this morning, I doubt the same can be said for the roads heading to Glastonbury!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2022, 08:44:51 »

This os a better one!

https://twitter.com/rmtunion/status/1539645558016851969?s=21&t=gJiIRBM-UEGqsbMMw-_BWQ
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2022, 11:08:38 »

Certainly the MP (Member of Parliament)'s approach needs to be modernised, they have after all chosen not to vacate the Palace of Westminster to allow the quickest and most cost effective means of renovating the building instead they have chosen to keep to their old working practices of tea rooms and bars.   Don't get me started on the stalled devolution process and house of Lords, there should be a parliament for England with the house of Lords being the Federal Governance of the UK (United Kingdom) ............... but then its only the Railways that have out dated Victoria working practices  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2022, 12:56:31 »

Meanwhile the GWR (Great Western Railway) ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) ballots have been issued, with votes to be returned no later than 11th July.  Should 'action short of a strike' or 'strike action' be voted for then it would be likely to commence in about a month from now.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 56
  Print  

Jump to: