I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:13:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 56
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024  (Read 81763 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #225 on: August 19, 2022, 10:50:50 »

That may well be why GWR (Great Western Railway) are suggesting

We want to make Sunday services more attractive for customers. The aim is to ensure coverage by establishing a commitment by colleagues to working on some – not all - Sundays.

To bring HSS (High Speed Services) in line with those that have a commitment. What is that commitment in terms of the number of Sundays?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #226 on: August 19, 2022, 11:13:20 »

No trains to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) during tomorrow's strike - a change to previous strikes

Dear Chris

A very quick update and reminder on the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) and TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) strikes. 

We were able to operate our contingency timetable yesterday (Thursday 18 August) without any additional changes, albeit that in some areas we were not able to run any services at all.  There is a Transport for London strike today, but the majority of GWR (Great Western Railway) rail services are running normally.

As we mentioned previously there is a further rail strike tomorrow Saturday (20 August). This will mean a heavily reduced timetable with no services in many areas, including Bristol Temple Meads where contingency signallers are not available this Saturday. This is different to previous strike days.

Our message to customers remains to only travel if absolutely necessary, and to make alternative arrangements if they can.  If there are services operating, we want customers to double check timetables before setting out – including return journeys as services will be finishing much early than usual.

The strike will also impact some services on Sunday (21 August).  Details are on our dedicated strike page on www.gwr.com/strike

No further rail strike dates have been announced by either RMT, ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) or TSSA.  They would need to give at least two weeks notice and we will keep you fully updated.

As always if you have any questions for us, please do get in contact, we are happy to help.

Jane and Toby

Jane Jones
Head of Public Affairs, Great Western Railway

Toby Elliott
Head of Communications, Network Rail Western
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 19, 2022, 11:51:37 »

We want to make Sunday services more attractive for customers. The aim is to ensure coverage by establishing a commitment by colleagues to working on some – not all - Sundays.

To bring HSS (High Speed Services) in line with those that have a commitment. What is that commitment in terms of the number of Sundays?

Currently around 1 in 3 Sundays for the GWR drivers with the ‘committed Sunday’ agreement. 

I’d have thought any new agreement would be at the most at similar level to Saturdays which is 2 in 3, though possibly something like 1 in 2 or even 2 in 5 would be enough for what is likely to operate on Sunday’s.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 19, 2022, 11:57:05 »

I don’t know what the commitment is in terms of the number of Sundays.

There’s little point in trying to bring HSS in line with GWR drivers purely because there are now so few HSS drivers and the number will only continue to dwindle.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 19, 2022, 12:23:23 »

There’s little point in trying to bring HSS (High Speed Services) in line with GWR (Great Western Railway) drivers purely because there are now so few HSS drivers and the number will only continue to dwindle.

I think there’s still over 400 HSS drivers, so still plenty.  As you say, numbers are diminishing, but still many years of shortages if just left to natural wastage.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 19, 2022, 13:17:59 »

There’s little point in trying to bring HSS (High Speed Services) in line with GWR (Great Western Railway) drivers purely because there are now so few HSS drivers and the number will only continue to dwindle.

I think there’s still over 400 HSS drivers, so still plenty.  As you say, numbers are diminishing, but still many years of shortages if just left to natural wastage.

But put into perspective, there’s nearly 250 GWR drivers at Exeter alone.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 19, 2022, 14:26:39 »

Exeter GWR (Great Western Railway) has around 150 I think you’ll find

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 19, 2022, 18:10:17 »

Just to give an idea of driver numbers at each depot:

Bristol - HSS (High Speed Services) 66   GWR 118
Bristol Parkway - HSS 41  GWR 6
Cardiff - GWR 15
Exeter - HSS 43   GWR 150
Fratton - GWR 34
Gloucester - GWR 60
Oxford - GWR 83
Paddington - HSS 78   GWR 73   
Par - GWR 33
Penzance - HSS 30   GWR 47
Plymouth - HSS 55   GWR 30
Reading - GWR 220
Swansea - HSS 65   GWR 5
Westbury - GWR 65
Worcester - HSS 25   GWR 14

Totals:  HSS 403    GWR 953

So, 30% HSS and 70% GWR - a little more biased towards GWR than I was expecting, but they can have a disproportionate affect on the longer distance routes that seem to struggle the most on Sundays.  You can't cover much of a Paddington<>Penzance service with crews from the GWR exclusive deports of Oxford, Reading, Fratton or Gloucester for example.

In terms of how quickly HSS drivers will move to GWR or retire remains to be seen.  I guess if I do this calculation same time next year, we'll get an idea as to how quickly numbers are shifting?

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 19, 2022, 21:12:40 »

Cardiff - GWR 15
Fratton - GWR 34
Gloucester - GWR 60
Oxford - GWR 83
Par - GWR 33
Reading - GWR 220
Swansea - HSS 65   GWR 5
Westbury - GWR 65

So, 30% HSS and 70% GWR - a little more biased towards GWR than I was expecting, but they can have a disproportionate affect on the longer distance routes that seem to struggle the most on Sundays.  You can't cover much of a Paddington<>Penzance service with crews from the GWR exclusive deports of Oxford, Reading, Fratton or Gloucester for example.

In terms of how quickly HSS drivers will move to GWR or retire remains to be seen.  I guess if I do this calculation same time next year, we'll get an idea as to how quickly numbers are shifting?

I do seem to recall a few years back certain correspondents were telling us that there were a lot of new recruits going through driver training who had Sundays as part of the working week and so this problem would naturally disappear.........what has happened to them?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 20, 2022, 06:35:20 »

Cardiff - GWR 15
Fratton - GWR 34
Gloucester - GWR 60
Oxford - GWR 83
Par - GWR 33
Reading - GWR 220
Swansea - HSS 65   GWR 5
Westbury - GWR 65

Although I suspect the retirement / transfer rate is not a linear one.

Network Rail has a similar issue with a large number of maintenance staff on old RT IMC (Railtrack Infrastructure Maintenance Companies) AMec, Balfour Beaty, Amey GTRM / Carillion.  One of the conditions of the pay offer by NR» (Network Rail - home page) is to use one contract for people to be moved onto it on promotion or voluntarily, the contract that is being proposed is one of the former RT IMC contracts it just so happens it's the one with worst conditions

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 20, 2022, 09:12:33 »

I do seem to recall a few years back certain correspondents were telling us that there were a lot of new recruits going through driver training who had Sundays as part of the working week and so this problem would naturally disappear.........what has happened to them?

Are you asking what’s happened to the trainees, or the correspondents?  Wink

All new trainees since 2017 (IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly)) have been GWR (Great Western Railway) grade, meaning Sundays are ‘committed overtime’ which is different to being part of the working week as explained before.

I remember Broadgage suggesting that would solve the Sunday problem and myself being very cautious about how long it would take to make a tangible difference, and stick by that statement.

Lots of trainees have passed out, not helped by COVID of course, but look at Worcester for example which was 30 HSS (High Speed Services) and 0 LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) two years ago and it’s now 25/14. 

Many more are still going through training, but that 403 HSS figure won’t disappear overnight…hence me suggesting I take a look this time next year to see how it has changed.

A settlement from the industrial dispute might render that irrelevant in terms of Sunday working, but I personally doubt it.

a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 21, 2022, 09:09:19 »

The 403 HSS (High Speed Services) drivers will only reduce through natural wastage, very few will opt to transfer over to the GWR (Great Western Railway) grade. 

When you look at it though, across the entire business, you’ll never currently need more than 175 to 200 HSS drivers on a Sunday and with the next recruit drive for drivers to be launched next year you’ll have a pool of more GWR drivers to cover HSS Sunday work on overtime.
To get Sundays in the working week would require substantially more drivers which is why companies and the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) prefer the commitment to work instead.  Sunday’s to HSS drivers who work them are worth, in the region of £8,000 a year. There’s very little business sense in offering a pay rise of £5,000+ to HSS drivers to include Sunday’s.  IndustryInsider may be able to confirm as I’m not sure, but any pay rise to HSS drivers has to be given to GWR drivers as well?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 22, 2022, 10:25:25 »

The 403 HSS (High Speed Services) drivers will only reduce through natural wastage, very few will opt to transfer over to the GWR (Great Western Railway) grade. 

Indeed, no more than a handful have so far across the business AIUI (as I understand it).

In time there might be a tipping point reached where the number of HSS drivers will diminish such that the company could starve them of the more attractive shifts and routes and that means the end will happen quite quickly, but I can see that being at least five, maybe ten years into the future.

IndustryInsider may be able to confirm as I’m not sure, but any pay rise to HSS drivers has to be given to GWR drivers as well?

Yes, AIUI.  Parity on pay for HSS, LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) and West drivers was achieved in early 2020 after several yearly stages (with LTV and West combining to become GWR), and I don't think HSS can then leap ahead again.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 22, 2022, 10:49:21 »

In time there might be a tipping point reached where the number of HSS (High Speed Services) drivers will diminish such that the company could starve them of the more attractive shifts and routes and that means the end will happen quite quickly, but I can see that being at least five, maybe ten years into the future.

... by which time GBR (Great British Railways) will have brought in ... what? The original Williams-Shapps plan was keen on industry-wide career and training structures, but very woolly about what operators' contracts would contain and how it would get there. I've not seen anything clearer yet, but no doubt the unions are taking a close interest in this subject.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 22, 2022, 11:02:29 »

Exactly.  Far too far in advance to know for sure.  I don’t expect the summer Sunday situation to improve much for at least three years though sadly.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 56
  Print  

Jump to: