No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
20:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 22:03:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 56
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024  (Read 84878 times)
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 15, 2022, 13:36:00 »

May I ask what the dismissal was for?

I've not been able to find that part yet. If I do, I shall update.

In practical terms, what will that mean for services between Reading- Plymouth/Penzance on those dates?

I have a journey which I need to make as a mercy mission on the 7th, I had considered making it by train but it sounds like I may need to consider my options.

Thanks for any advice

Probably a bit early to say, RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) gave the dates yesterday, so it'll be for Network Rail to now work out what desks in TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) they think they can cover and for how long.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 18, 2022, 18:24:46 »

RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) just announced strikes on 3/5/7 November
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 18, 2022, 19:16:33 »

RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) just announced strikes on 3/5/7 November

A friend who is a RMT member has just received this...

18 October 2022

To: Branches, Regional Councils & Regional Offices

NETWORK RAIL MEMBERS TO TAKE FRESH STRIKE ACTION

Dear colleague

DEFEND JOBS, PAY & CONDITIONS – NETWORK RAIL

Talks between your union and Network Rail have resulted in management causing confusion and disarray after doing a U-Turn on a new pay offer and through a vindictive style of negotiations and threats to impose new working arrangements on RMT members.

Some managers are advising us formally that they are seeking to reach a negotiated settlement to this dispute while other managers are issuing threatening correspondence which do nothing to reach a settlement and instead set out the company’s clear intention to steamroller through their so-called “modernising” agenda without agreement.

This disingenuous method of negotiations cannot be tolerated any longer. Your union’s National Executive Committee has therefore today taken the decision to hold a further series of strikes.

All Network Rail members in the Maintenance function are instructed not to book on for any duties which commence between:

02:00 hours on Thursday 3rd November 2022 and 01:59 hours on Friday 4th November 2022
02:00 hours on Saturday 5th November 2022 and 01:59 hours on Sunday 6th November 2022
02:00 hours on Monday 7th November 2022 and 01:59 hours on Tuesday 8th November 2022

In addition, those in the Maintenance function are instructed not to work any overtime or rest days between:

02:00 hours on Wednesday 2nd November 2022 and 01:59 hours on Thursday 3rd November 2022
02:00 hours on Friday 4th November 2022 and 01:59 hours Saturday 5th November 2022
02:00 hours on Sunday 6th November 2022 and 01:59 hours on Monday 7th November 2022
02:00 hours on Tuesday 8th November 2022 and 01:59 hours on Wednesday 9th November 2022

All Network Rail members in the Operations function are instructed not to book on for any duties which commence between:

00:01 and 23:59 Hours on Thursday 3rd November 2022
00:01 and 23:59 Hours on Saturday 5th November 2022
00:01 and 23:59 Hours on Monday 7th November 2022

The company has left us no choice but to take this action following the Joint Pay Council of both Ops and Maintenance last Friday which was adjourned at the request of the Management Side to facilitate a full response to the positions put forward by your representatives.
One important position was that RMT formally requested confirmation that the company would not seek to impose any changes to members’ terms and conditions of employment or working practices which are material to the proposals being discussed.
This was in line with the stated company commitment to seek a negotiated settlement, therefore we requested that the company defer commencing local consultation on matters subject to these discussions and also defer the opening of voluntary severance for the same reasons.

Immediately following this meeting - and prior to us reconvening negotiations – I received correspondence from a manager who was not in attendance at the discussions confirming the company will move to impose matters supposedly still in the discussion and on which the Chair of Joint Council stated the company is actively seeking our agreement.

This correspondence also refers to members’ contractual terms and conditions of employment as “working practices” – despite our negotiating team advising that any move to impose changes to these would result in both an immediate industrial response and a legal challenge.

When clarification was sought from the Chair of the Joint Council we were advised:

“I want to confirm our commitment given at joint pay council on Friday that we wish to continue looking for a negotiated settlement to the dispute….”

Network Rail’s management is clearly divided and in disarray. It commits to negotiations and imposition at the same time. It offers to discuss an improved pay offer while reviving a rejected offer. We have no choice therefore but to respond industrially.

I have absolutely no doubt that RMT members at Network Rail will respond to this industrial action instruction in the same united, dignified and solid way they have responded to all strike calls up to now.

We simply cannot allow management to continue negotiating in such a chaotic manner, but we can assure members that this union is willing to talk and negotiate properly and formally.

STRIKE FOR PAY JUSTICE!
DEFEND YOUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS!

Yours sincerely

Michael Lynch
General Secretary
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #258 on: October 18, 2022, 19:31:50 »

The strike day on the 3rd includes the London Underground & Overground
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 19, 2022, 17:01:56 »

I believe it's just been announced the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) staff at the TOCs (Train Operating Company) are also out on the 3rd & 5th

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #260 on: October 19, 2022, 17:06:55 »

From the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) website

19 October 2022

RMT Press Office:

Rail union RMT will take strike action on 14 train operating companies on November 3 and 5 after no new offer on pay jobs and working conditions.

Strike action will coincide with RMT members on Network Rail, London Underground and Overground who are also walking out.

Despite repeated negotiations, the Rail Delivery Group has failed to offer RMT members any offer on pay, jobs and conditions.

RMT general secretary Mick Lynch said: "Throughout this whole dispute, the Rail Delivery Group has been completely unreasonable by not offering our members any deal on pay, conditions and job security.

"Some of our members on the train operating companies are some of the lowest paid on the railways.

"This stands in stark contrast to rail operating company bosses making millions of pounds in profit.

"We remain open to meaningful talks, but we are steadfast in our industrial campaign to see a negotiated settlement for all our members in this dispute."

I thought that there were 15 TOCs (Train Operating Company) that the RMT had strike action ballot approval - has one expired?
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 20, 2022, 17:21:49 »

It appears that TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) are taking 'Action Short of a Strike' on the days RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) are striking.....

Given the lack of movement in negotiations within the Train Operating Companies. TSSA is announcing additional action short of strike for all our members in Great Western Railways (GWR (Great Western Railway)).

Our reps met this week and decided to escalate our Action Short of Strike (ASOS) by adding an additional type of ASOS to the list than we have previously employed. We are announcing this today given the anti-trade union legislation that requires us to give 14 days’ notice of any industrial action.

We have therefore written to the company today to give notice that we are calling members to participate in:

•   Ban on on-call activities including ban on covering vacant on-call lines
This will take place over the following times and dates:

From 00:01 on Thursday 3rd November 2022 to 23:59 on Thursday 3rd November 2022

From 00:01 on Saturday 5th November 2022 to 23:59 on Saturday 5th November 2022

During the period of dispute TSSA members can legitimately refuse to:

•   Carry out on call duties whether their own or vacant colleagues during the times and dates above which coincide with the strike action planned by our Sister unions.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 21, 2022, 07:15:15 »

This letter is on the Network Rail website https://www.networkrail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Letter-to-Mick-Lynch-letter-dated-19-October-2022.pdf

19th October 2022
Dear Mick
After days of constructive negotiations with your team, I was genuinely surprised to see your press release last night stating that Network Rail had performed a ‘U-turn’ on our pay offer.  Nothing could be further from the truth. People were concerned to know if the current offer had been withdrawn and we simply confirmed it was still on the table. We remain open to additional ideas that would make us more productive and generate additional funding for pay.
On one issue our offer has changed already – for the better. Recognising colleagues’ genuine fears about job security we are now offering an even stronger jobs guarantee. This is our commitment to no compulsory redundancy for general grades colleagues until 31 January 2025. Indeed, I would hope to extend our jobs guarantee beyond this if we can work together to modernise the railway.

That is our offer so far: a jobs guarantee, a pay rise and discounted travel as follows: -
• 4%increase in base pay backdated to 1 January 2022, including shift pay and overtime.
• 4%increase in base pay from 1 January 2023.
• £250 increase in base salary backdated to January 2021 for colleagues whose annual base salary in 2021 was less than £24,000 per year.
• Increased pay range scales in line with the 4% award for 2022 and 2023.
We are also offering a 75% discount on leisure travel for our staff, their partner, and any dependents. As well as removing the cap on season ticket subsidies so those who can catch the train to work can have a 75% discount on any season ticket.

This comprehensively responds to the elements in your dispute. In the current climate of significant economic uncertainty and looming public spending cuts I think that’s a fair package.
And I think many of our colleagues think so too, which is why we are disappointed you’ve never put it to a referendum. So we need to get round the table to sort out any specific issues urgently because delay makes the financial challenge even greater.  We do want agreement to our proposals to change working practices in Maintenance and Works
Delivery, in particular, to fund this deal - as we have no additional income to pay for rises otherwise. These changes would make us more effective, safe and efficient. This means introducing individual rostering, joint response teams, co-operative working and overlapping skills becoming mandatory. We have always been transparent that Maintenance would reduce by approximately 1,850 colleagues over the next 12 -18 months, which we will achieve through a voluntary redundancy scheme for Maintenance and Works Delivery. This scheme will open for expressions of interest on 24 October.  As you know, national consultation on our proposals to change working practices in Maintenance concluded on 11 October. We offered, in good faith, to delay the start of local consultation at Route level until December to provide additional time for more talks with the Trade Unions. We are disappointed about your decision yesterday to announce strikes on November 3, 5 and 7, which effectively gives us a matter of days to reach agreement.

I must level with you that the financial impact of further strikes such as those you have now announced will make it harder to fund even the existing pay offer. Strikes risk driving away passengers and freight customer for good and cost the industry money we can ill afford in these times.
Given the public nature of your claims last night I am making this letter public and sharing it with colleagues.  We have invited you and your team to intensive talks next week after TUC Congress.
I look forward to getting a resolution in time for Christmas.

Yours sincerely,
Tim Shoveller
Managing director
North West and Centra

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 21, 2022, 09:02:17 »

It's good to see a factual, calm and measured response from NR» (Network Rail - home page) to the endless stream of froth mouthed rhetoric emanating from Lynch and the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 21, 2022, 20:00:53 »

Sensible timing from NR» (Network Rail - home page)’s perspective as they know the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) membership is about to be re-balloted.

Let’s hope the various disputes can indeed be resolved by the end of the year.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #265 on: October 25, 2022, 15:45:35 »

It appears that TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) are taking 'Action Short of a Strike' on the days RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) are striking.....

Given the lack of movement in negotiations within the Train Operating Companies. TSSA is announcing additional action short of strike for all our members in Great Western Railways (GWR (Great Western Railway)).

Our reps met this week and decided to escalate our Action Short of Strike (ASOS) by adding an additional type of ASOS to the list than we have previously employed. We are announcing this today given the anti-trade union legislation that requires us to give 14 days’ notice of any industrial action.

We have therefore written to the company today to give notice that we are calling members to participate in:

•   Ban on on-call activities including ban on covering vacant on-call lines
This will take place over the following times and dates:

From 00:01 on Thursday 3rd November 2022 to 23:59 on Thursday 3rd November 2022

From 00:01 on Saturday 5th November 2022 to 23:59 on Saturday 5th November 2022

During the period of dispute TSSA members can legitimately refuse to:

•   Carry out on call duties whether their own or vacant colleagues during the times and dates above which coincide with the strike action planned by our Sister unions.

Update - now strike action on these days at Network Rail too.
From The Grauniad

UK (United Kingdom) rail union announces week of industrial action
Members at South Western Rail, Southeastern, West Midlands Trains, Northern and Great Western will strike starting from 3 November

A rail union has announced nearly a week of industrial action, including strikes in November in their ongoing dispute over pay, job security and conditions.

Thousands of members of the Transport Salaried Staffs’ Association at Network Rail will strike on Thursday 3 November, Saturday 5 November and Monday 7 November, while members at individual train companies will take strike action and action short of strike on 3, 7 and 8 November.

Members at five rail operators – South Western Rail, Southeastern, West Midlands Trains, Northern and Great Western – will take action short of strike action for the whole of November, and those at a sixth company, TransPennine Express, will join them from 7 November.

Members involved in the action include staff in ticket offices, stations, control rooms, and other support roles across Britain.

The TSSA is seeking a guarantee of no compulsory redundancies, a pay rise that offsets the cost of living crisis, and no unagreed changes to terms and conditions.

Its general secretary, Manuel Cortes, said: “Our members never take industrial action lightly. We would far rather find a fair negotiated solution to this now long-running dispute, but we simply have no choice.

“A huge number of rail workers in our union, many of whom are our longstanding members, had never been directly involved in an industrial dispute before this year.

“Across our railways, our members recently stepped up to the plate yet again and went above and beyond to meet unprecedented demand during the period of public mourning to provide additional services and keep the public safe, much like they did during the pandemic. They prove their worth time and time again and yet they are still undervalued.

“When this dust has settled over Rishi Sunak’s coronation, I hope that whoever he appoints as the new secretary of state for transport will see sense, unlike Grant Shapps, and use their powers to mandate a fair pay rise, reasonable terms and conditions and end this dispute.

“It’s time for train operators to be allowed to meet us round the table and negotiate a fair solution.”

A Department for Transport spokesperson said: “This is incredibly disappointing. Through no fault of their own, people up and down the country will once again have their day to day lives disrupted and be unable to attend work, school or vital doctor’s appointments.

“Our railway is in desperate need of modernisation, but all more strikes will do is take it back to the dark ages and push passengers further away. We urge union bosses to reconsider this divisive action and instead work with employers, not against them, to agree a new way forward.”

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 25, 2022, 16:52:58 »

So the TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) is basically saying they want guarantees of no change ever, irrespective of the wider environment (some might say the real world) + a double digit payrise.

I think they'll have a few challenges managing expectations going forward.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 25, 2022, 21:52:42 »

RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) call off strike on Thursday 3 November, 5th and 7th to go ahead as planned.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 25, 2022, 22:03:38 »

RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) call off strike on Thursday 3 November, 5th and 7th to go ahead as planned.
On the 9th instead.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 25, 2022, 22:16:39 »

So the TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) is basically saying they want guarantees of no change ever, irrespective of the wider environment (some might say the real world) + a double digit payrise.

Guarantees of no unagreed changes.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 56
  Print  

Jump to: