Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 04:44:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 56
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024  (Read 81776 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: May 19, 2023, 17:36:19 »

I guess as far as the Unions are concerned it generates more headlines and keeps them in the News, although the Government know that overall the rail strike is causing only inconvenience rather than any serious disruption so are content to let it run on until it peters out................I suspect a face saving solution for both sides will be found at some stage that enables them both to claim victory (......that's the Unions and the Government, not City and United!!!) 

I think that’s true, but only partially true.

The phrase ‘best and final offer’ has been used several times only for a better offer to then materialise soon after.  Sure, the better offer is nowhere near what the Unions are demanding, but they are improved offers nonetheless. 

If at some point it becomes clear it really is a best and final offer then I would expect staff to fairly quickly accept that fact and settle.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 19, 2023, 17:59:31 »

I guess as far as the Unions are concerned it generates more headlines and keeps them in the News, although the Government know that overall the rail strike is causing only inconvenience rather than any serious disruption so are content to let it run on until it peters out................I suspect a face saving solution for both sides will be found at some stage that enables them both to claim victory (......that's the Unions and the Government, not City and United!!!) 

I think that’s true, but only partially true.

The phrase ‘best and final offer’ has been used several times only for a better offer to then materialise soon after.  Sure, the better offer is nowhere near what the Unions are demanding, but they are improved offers nonetheless. 

If at some point it becomes clear it really is a best and final offer then I would expect staff to fairly quickly accept that fact and settle.

Provided of course they are given the chance to vote on accepting it, rather than Bruvver Mick and co deciding for them?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 19, 2023, 18:42:04 »

Yes, though I don’t think there has been an offer yet that would have been accepted that hasn’t been put to the membership.  But it would be interesting to know how close these offers are.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 31, 2023, 17:14:36 »

Despite tomorrow (1/6) not being a strike day, looking at the map/Journeycheck services seem to be pretty badly clobbered.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #604 on: May 31, 2023, 19:17:47 »

There is action tomorrow short of a strike by ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) - so no uncontracted overtime or rest-day working
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 01, 2023, 21:34:47 »

Today's Times cartoon

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/peter-brookes-times-cartoon-june-1-2023-7dl0bcc9t
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #606 on: June 02, 2023, 07:00:24 »

Behind their paywall
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 02, 2023, 07:21:16 »

Behind their paywall

You can get a brief glimpse before the paywall comes up.  It's a [presumed] commuter asking an AI bot how soon before it can drive a train.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 02, 2023, 10:21:23 »

A.I. already drives some trains of course, and in theory it could drive all of them with technology that already exists.  And the same can be said for pilots and planes.

Whether the public will ever accept there being no driver when hurtling through the countryside is a different matter.  I think it will become a generational thing as we get more used to A.I. and in a couple of generations it will have become normalised.

I see A.I. as a potential threat to humanity over the coming decades.  It’s adapting incredibly quickly…just look at ChatGPT and recent updates to Photoshop which threatens to make lots of forms of photography and videography obsolete.  You simply won’t be able to tell what’s real and what’s fake very soon…which could be very dangerous.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 02, 2023, 17:12:50 »

Another voice of the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) on the Ukraine situation - it's not just Dempsey and Lynch giving Putin a free pass, apparently it's war crimes and American vehicles "invading Russian territory" now.............one does wonder which planet these people inhabit..........and what RMT members think of their Leadership's rather bizarre take on events..........

https://twitter.com/habibi_uk/status/1664555018848989187?s=20
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 02, 2023, 18:25:19 »

Support for then communist russia, was taken for granted by the more left wing trades unions during the cold war.
The facts that we won the the cold war, and that russia is no longer communist have obviously not yet penetrated the minds of the bruvvers.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 14, 2023, 12:10:39 »

Paul Clifton reporting that Train Drivers have voted overwhelmingly to continue industrial action:
https://twitter.com/PaulCliftonBBC/status/1668937816150093830
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #612 on: June 14, 2023, 14:27:00 »

Includes ALL SWR» (South Western Railway - about) drivers too this time, not just their depot drivers....
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 14, 2023, 15:57:16 »

It was Albert Einstein, apparently, who said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

The RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) TOC (Train Operating Company) strikes have been going on for a year now and don't seem to be any closer to resolution, so by voting for more strikes what are the union and their members expecting to change?

It appears that the Government don't care about the railways and are just ignoring the unions and passengers just shrug their shoulders and make alternative arrangements, which may include not travelling by train again.

So is there anything that the RMT and ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) could do to change this situation?

Maybe an all-out strike would work, although I have been doubts given the lack of interest from the Government who would probably just use it as an excuse to close the railways down (or at least some of it) , or should they just cut their losses and accept what they have been offered?

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 14, 2023, 19:33:06 »

I think a change of tactic is likely.  Either an indefinite RDW/favours ban or an escalation of the number of days of action.  I think the RDW/favours ban is more likely, as that will cause huge disruption over summer weekends, but we will see.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 56
  Print  

Jump to: