Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 13:51:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[153] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[97] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[41] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[38] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[37] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A surfeit of old men?  (Read 1773 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 09, 2022, 10:42:19 »

On 9 Jun 2022, at 10:30, Great Western Railway <greatwesternrailway@e.gwr.com> wrote:

Can't see the pictures? View online here.

We’d love to have you on board!
Dear Mr Ellis

As someone that has recently booked with us, we’d like to invite you to join our new online research community to help shape GWR (Great Western Railway)’s digital future. As part of the community, you will be playing a key part in exploring and testing new ideas relating to your digital experiences when booking and travelling by rail.

The aim of the community is to gather feedback, share ideas, test new concepts and shape the plans of GWR and other rail operators across the UK (United Kingdom). As a member of the community, you’ll be invited to take part in online surveys, discussions and other fun and creative activities (although you are under no obligation to take part in individual topics). As a thank you for, for being a member of the community, you’ll be invited to take part in the monthly prize draw for a chance to WIN a share of £250*.

We’d really like you to be part of this, just click on the link below to take part in a short survey to tell us a little bit about yourself and register as a member.

The community is hosted and managed by InSites Consulting, an independent research agency, on behalf of GWR. InSites Consulting adhere to the Market Research Society Code of Conduct.
CLICK HERE TO JOIN
GWR Customer Research Team 

*The £250 monthly prize draw consists of 1 x £100 and 6 x £25 vouchers.

Contact us   |   Privacy policy   |   Unsubscribe
First Greater Western Limited. Registered in England & Wales No. 05113733.
Registered office: Milford House, 1 Milford House, Swindon, Wiltshire SN1 1HL.

Except than when I asked to join ... giving year of birth, gender, and train companies used ...

Thank you for your interest.

We are sorry you were not able to complete your registration. Unfortunately, you did not fully match the criteria required for participating in this research study. Please know that your time and efforts are greatly appreciated. Your personal details, collected in the registration form, are confidential and will not be used for any research or commercial purposes.

Nice to be invited with no clue they will be selectively profiling, then be turned away!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 10:59:56 »

Ahhh…..you too, eh?

I have already been rejected & have asked Jane Jones whether the criteria was agreed with the third party company & whether she thought I wouldn’t qualify. She said that she had personally had bo input into the criteria and I got the inpression this panel hadbeen initiated by First Group trains & not GWR (Great Western Railway) specifically.

I am awaiting further feedback as to what the criteria was that I failed.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 17:09:11 »

If it wasn't for the ever loyal but dwindling surfeit of old men travelling on Firstgroup trains and buses, they wouldn't have anyone they could send the survey out to..... Roll Eyes
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 18:59:33 »

Yep, same happened with me a few days ago.  I guess some of their target survey samples are easier to achieve than others.  It would be interesting to know which socio-economic characteristics they have aimed at and which are the most difficult to reach.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 06:49:09 »

Or are they concerned that "relating to your digital experiences when booking and travelling by rail" might not get the answers they want from this ageing demographic.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 23:52:17 »

I have received an almost identical email from SWR» (South Western Railway - about). I haven't responded.

Dear David,

We’d like to invite you to take part in our new digital research community group relating to your experiences when booking train travel online or with an App. Whilst we understand that you may not have travelled for the past few months due to the current circumstances, we’d still like you to consider joining us to help shape the digital future of South Western Railway.

The aim of the community is to gather feedback, share ideas and shape the plans of not just South Western Railway but other rail networks across the UK (United Kingdom); Great Western Railway, Trans Pennine Express, Avanti West Coast, Hull Trains and Lumo.

As a member of the community, you’ll be invited to take part in online surveys, discussions, and other fun and creative activities every month or so (although you are under no obligation to take part in individual topics).

Once you’re a member of the community, thank you for taking part in the group, you’ll be invited to take part in the monthly quiz for a chance to win a share of £250!

If you’re interested, just click on the link below to take part in a short 3 minute survey to tell us a little bit about yourself and register as a member.

This community is hosted by a third-party research agency called Insites Consulting on behalf of South Western Railway. CLICK HERE TO JOIN.

Thank you in advance for your interest!

South Western Railway
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 00:10:02 »

We should be aware even from just watching the adverts in the media, how great a prominence is accorded to the various minority constituencies.

Thus if all of one's answers place one centrally within a majority group one will likely not be favoured.

The fashion in the equality field is to allow "self identification".

How you treat that is up to your own conscience.

OTC
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 21:18:58 »

I'd be very surprised if it's because "prominence is accorded to the various minority constituencies". Much more likely that they want to get a representative spread of different respondents and as Grahame suspects, too many old(er) men with time on their hands have already taken part. Odd though to send out an email which so clearly reads as though they are actively inviting participation from everyone then turning some people away.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 07:14:27 »

I'd be very surprised if it's because "prominence is accorded to the various minority constituencies". Much more likely that they want to get a representative spread of different respondents and as Grahame suspects, too many old(er) men with time on their hands have already taken part. Odd though to send out an email which so clearly reads as though they are actively inviting participation from everyone then turning some people away.

Getting a representative sample is a very real problem - been there.  What really pee-ed me off about this one is that there was no hint in the invite letter that they were profiling and rejecting after the initial questions - they sent an email personally addressed, telling you how important your input would be, only to reject you because "you do not match the criteria".

1. They should (IMHO (in my humble opinion)) have invited (if doing it by name) people to fill in a few details and see if they met the metrics for this survey.

2. If they write to customers by name, then say "you don't meet our metrics", do they really want our support, our journeys, our money to pay for those journeys??   I would like to think members could answer that question with "don't be silly, Graham", but I'm not so sure.  I'm reminded of SWR» (South Western Railway - about)'s decision to withdraw through trains from Trowbridge and Bradford-on-Avon to London because "There aren't many commuters or school children using those services" - reason given by Claire Mann, their MD, ignoring a very busy service for people on personal business and leisure trips.  Perhaps the survey is only interested in people of normal working age, and pensioners are just a darned complaining nuisance?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 09:38:04 »

Getting a representative sample is a very real problem - been there. 

Surely they were just following a standard recipe for recruiting a focus group, meant to minimise bias using Gallup principles. The less they allow people to pre-select themselves the better - ideally they would get a large initial sample with objective data on individual characteristics and then filter based on those and the pre-defined demographic profile. Of course some pre-selection is inevitable, and I wonder what their approach was to the under-representation of people who never volunteer for things like this.

So they used a standard letter with names filled in - hardly the height of programming sophistication; I'm sure you've done more devious than that, Graham. Could they or should they have explained more about why there was inevitably a high rejection rate among such as yourself? Probably yes, though it's not easy to do. They would need to know who might be upset and why ... maybe they should do some kind of survey to find out?
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2022, 10:36:14 »

Perhaps there should be a paragraph appended such as:

"If you are a white male over the age of 50, are not conflicted, have largely been in full employment over your working life, are a home owner with significant pension contributions, used to drive Rover cars when they were available, thinks that the British Empire had many positive effects, now lost, thinks that the Malvinas should be British, don't own or play a guitar, haven't taken drugs, never read the Guardian, don't have an Arts degree, often wear a sports jacket and tie,...........etc etc, then you are unlikely to hear from us further."

(!)

OTC Smiley
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2022, 07:00:12 »

I think the "1066 and all that" version of a surfeit of malmsey would be far more preferable.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2022, 17:09:48 »

The whole thing begs the question as to why why GWR (Great Western Railway) feel they need an "online research community to help shape the future" when they already have a perfectly good one right here.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2022, 17:23:39 »

It's not representative of the whole FirstGroup network?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: