Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:52:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Through fares to Dartmouth available via GWR - Summer 2022  (Read 2715 times)
RailCornwall

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2022, 20:23:47 »

Great Western Railway is inviting customers to take a unique journey to Dartmouth this summer – via train, steam railway and boat.

The train operator has teamed up with the Dartmouth Steam Railway and River Boat Company to offer a through ticket direct to Dartmouth.

Sightseers can travel by GWR (Great Western Railway) train to Paignton, before connecting with the steam train to Kingswear, and then the foot passenger ferry service to Dartmouth.

https://news.gwr.com/news/dartmouth-gets-a-spot-on-national-rail-map-as-gwr-offers-unique-ticket-to-picturesque-town

https://www.gwr.com/stations-and-destinations/travel-inspiration/heritage-railways/dartmouth-through-ticket
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 23:04:17 »

A bit odd that the destination has to be "Kingswear (for Dartmouth)" when the ticket takes you all the way to Dartmouth including the ferry (which isn't free).  I'm reserving judgement on how useful it will be until it's clear if the through ticket is reliably no more expensive than booking the National Rail leg separately, particularly taking into account Railcards, children and other discounts (all very likely for passengers heading for a tourist line).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 05:56:37 »

Bookings are available from Monday (13 June) with Tuesday 14 June the first day of travel and will remain on sale until Sunday 30 October when the Steam service ceases for the winter. Tickets are only available when purchased in advance. Bookings close 23.59 the day before travel and reservations are mandatory.

Well - I tried to find them and failed - nothing from Paddington, Melksham or Exeter St Davids for a variety of dates.  Perhaps they're going to be on sale later today?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 11:06:17 »

Bookings are available from Monday (13 June) with Tuesday 14 June the first day of travel and will remain on sale until Sunday 30 October when the Steam service ceases for the winter. Tickets are only available when purchased in advance. Bookings close 23.59 the day before travel and reservations are mandatory.

Well - I tried to find them and failed - nothing from Paddington, Melksham or Exeter St Davids for a variety of dates.  Perhaps they're going to be on sale later today?

I've just tried a sample jpurney and been able to take a booking as far as payment. See attached.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 12:28:10 »

Interesting that you can book to Kingswear (KWR) from the GWR (Great Western Railway) website, but this station does not exist according the the National Rail Enquiries site.

I spent a week in Kingswear earlier this year. It's a lovely spot; the only disappointment was the steam railway!

When we visited, trains were only stopping at Paignton and Kingswear and all tickets were for timed trains. There's very little flexibility on times or fares - the round trip includes the ferry whether you want it or not. We were told that single fares were available, but these were almost the same price as the round trip.

The concession fare is £19.60, a 35p (thirty-five new pence) saving on the full fare...

It's a lovely little line. Can't say I'll rush back though.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 21:47:37 »

Fell at the first hurdle. Selected 1 adult + 1 child and was offered tickets for 2 adults, though that wasn't obvious (except for the high total price) without clicking a small drop-down arrow. Selecting just a child gets a response that no journeys can be found. Based on that I didn't bother with anything more complex like a Railcard. Can't say I'm surprised as the two organisations have very different arrangements for child age, percentage discount, Railcard acceptance etc so it would either need to be quite generous or ask lots of extra questions. I do think it might end up being a bit of a pointless gimmick. Back to the drawing board I think!

...and is a 35p (sic) discount for over-65s that I see is offered on the steam railway really going to attract much trade?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 23:16:14 »

There are no Railcard discounts. Railcard holders will be better off booking seperate tickets.

Also of note is the closure of intermediate stops between Paignton and Kingswear and the withdrawal of a rover style ticket.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 09:51:40 »

and the withdrawal of a rover style ticket.

Breathing a sigh of relief this morning as a too-long and increasingly off-topic post of mine on trains to Dartmouth vanished before hitting the forum.

Fired up by investigating the fares integration, and the discovery that a 1st anytime return Bath to Paignton is priced at £230 cf anytime standard return at £54, the post disappeared round a bend on the, I suspect, well worn trail leading to the discussion "We completely understand how it seemed a good idea at the time to truncate the branch, but Kingswear should now be part of the national network".

Update: recalling that the Coffeeshop forum software *never ever ever loses posts*, found mine lurking unposted in a tab, pasted below...

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

Starting from Bath Spa, so a distance that's around 130 miles each way by road. Wishing there was a lazy rail distance calculator out there, as rail will be more direct.

Bath Spa - Kingswear: £72.60 peak and £63.90 off peak.

(Bath Spa - Paignton is £54.20 peak and £46.50 off peak.)

Ah, just noticed that Bath Spa - Paignton is, somehow, £230, which for some reason isn't proportionate to the standard fare.

Also, while I can see why it would have happened at the time, it was careless of BR (British Rail(ways)) to allow Dartmouth to fall off the national network. Road connections, a bit gruesome, and do the ferries offer an advantage to the railway? The river crossings must go a little way to motivate people to travel without their vehicles.

On the negative side, Dartmouth's population, even with Kingswear, around 7000 between them, and most of those up a hill - measly, though Churston could pull in more, and Brixham's linkable by bus.

But on the plus side, a cracking destination for visitors.

*Switches off public transport utopia mode*

For a day trip to Dartmouth, there's a worse option than to take the train to Totnes, walk to the quay, boat down to Dartmouth, ferry, and back via Kingswear. Now trying to recall where the boat landing is in Totnes, last time it was raining so hard that its surroundings were indecipherable.

Mark
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 12:55:32 by Mark A » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 14:36:47 »

Update: recalling that the Coffeeshop forum software *never ever ever loses posts*, found mine lurking unposted in a tab, pasted below...

Thanks, and close to correct.
1. Very easy to preview and not post
2. If you say "post" but there have been other posts in the same thread while you compose, you'll get a warning and have to confirm your post. If you don't confirm, it just gives you a preview

We HAVE lost posts in the past when the database or server has crashed and we're had to restore from backups; very rare, but it has happened.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 20:57:31 »

Liskeard to Kingswear 1 adult 1 child £67.20 return
Liskeard to Paignton 1 adult 1 child £12.85 with my family railcard (22.80 without rail card)

Would 1 adult and 1 child really cost £55 for a round trip Paignton to Kingswear. Nope it’s £19.95 adult and £13.50 child. Total £33.45 plus  the non railcard fare of £22.80 is still only £56.25

There is a major failing in the through  fares. The Convenience of a through fare adds over an extra £10 to the cost.

(All off peak fares)

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2022, 21:13:14 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) fail.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: