Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:20:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are us passengers asleep or just watching? Do we need to bark and growl?  (Read 1071 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 14, 2022, 22:27:07 »

Who looks out for the passenger?  I've been looking forward to a summer of the UK (United Kingdom) getting back towards normal - but it seems that on the railways, the government, train companies, staff and unions are in conflict.  And on the buses, driver shortages and financial constraints are leading to losses of services and unplanned gaps in those that remain.  Not a happy story when we are encouraged to to go greener and this summer offers - or offered a window of opportunity.  There seem to be a handful of glamour projects around, where other services shrink or are lost completely. I don't like where we are, and I certainly don't like the direction.

What's missing from my comments above?  Anything much about customer or passenger care, or (re)growing the business.  I fear many passengers are asleep as far as what's going on is concerned.  Others are watching and wondering about what's happening.  Just a few are raising their voices - though it's unclear to me how to best raise those voices effectively.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 23:44:47 »

Who do we bark at. The staff? The operators? The unions? The government?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 06:16:11 »

It was obvious that as soon as restrictions were lifted that strikes were going to be called. Was anyone really surprised?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 06:39:31 »

Who do we bark at. The staff? The operators? The unions? The government?

Indeed - in many ways you are paraphrasing my question.  I wish I had an answer there. And there is are follow-up questions "do we bark individually?", "what organisations and mechanisms have we to help us the barking?". These are questions without obvious answers to me. 

In alphabetic order, I suggest to you:
* Community Rail Partnerships
* Elected Representatives
* Extinction Rebellion
* Government Consultations
* Local Transport Authorities
* Railfuture
* Social Media Groups
* Transport Focus
* TravelWatch SouthWest
* User Groups

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 12:07:18 »

Extinction Rebellion I wouldn't bother with - they haven't exactly managed to influence anyone with responsibility yet on any matter. Their methods are very much open to question.

In a bit of a hiatus until GBR (Great British Railways) get off the ground frankly. Until then (and even maybe after), the Treasury are pulling the purse strings & anything that costs money will be very hard to obtain.

Yes to elected reps of all bodies with a budget of course. Also make sure that you respond to the draft GBR legislation consultation to ensure that GBR will be a body that will listen to people 'barking'. That list ios currently very small.....
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 20:33:46 »

In a bit of a hiatus until GBR (Great British Railways) get off the ground frankly. Until then (and even maybe after), the Treasury are pulling the purse strings & anything that costs money will be very hard to obtain.

This is the central issue ad as a result there is no “maybe after” in the equation.

I felt something of a line voice at the time of privatisation because I thought it would be a good thing, finally getting the government out of the railways hair.

How wrong I was. We have seen 20 years of government meddling in micro-management, and things are only set, at best, to remain the same in the foreseeable future.

Those who have supported renationalisation through some naive belief that it will bring ticket price reductions will find out the truth the hard way, as will those who have smirked and said “Well it couldn’t be any worse, could it?”

I didn’t make many friends on this forum earlier this year when, after coming back from South Africa and finding out what happened to the Bristol to Waterloo service, took a view based on this being purely a TOC (Train Operating Company) business decision. But then we lost the GWR (Great Western Railway) Brighton services, and then I read about services in West Wales; more truncation of through services and poor connections in their place.

A pattern is emerging; those lines where another operator runs occasional services are having those services withdrawn. This may have a positive effect in reducing revenue sharing (although I don’t know if this has any significance under the current regime). But it also has significant disadvantages both to longer distance passengers and also on route knowledge. Once that route knowledge is lost I do not see retention or regaining that knowledge as a matter uppermost in the minds of those in control of GBR.

So you can bark at the culprits if you like, but bearing in mind who you are barking at I doubt it will make much difference.

The only thing that really gets through to these people is a lack of votes in Ballot boxes. So if you happen to live in Wakefield or Tiverton and Honiton....

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 08:08:13 »

So you can bark at the culprits if you like, but bearing in mind who you are barking at I doubt it will make much difference.

The only thing that really gets through to these people is a lack of votes in Ballot boxes. So if you happen to live in Wakefield or Tiverton and Honiton....

Agreed - perhaps the way forward is not just to bark - but to growl and bite.  The ballot box is an interesting one if it became a (bi)election issue. 

With "just" one station out of 4 in the constituency I live in loosing "just" one of its services last December, and on zero campaign budget, we got 1,600 signatures on a petition in the constituency asking for no more than the trains to continue for a year while a proper consultation was run and alternative provided.  It wasn't even the biggest town or biggest station in the constituency that was involved.   

I wonder what we could do if we could get {quote}* Community Rail Partnerships  * Elected Representatives  * Extinction Rebellion * Government Consultations * Local Transport Authorities * Railfuture * Social Media Groups * Transport Focus * TravelWatch SouthWest * User Groups{/quote} mostly in line. For sure we would not get them all - some are in the pay of the government, or are likely to be sanctioned if they step out of line.

Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 11:01:38 »

I wonder what we could do if we could get {quote}* Community Rail Partnerships  * Elected Representatives  * Extinction Rebellion * Government Consultations * Local Transport Authorities * Railfuture * Social Media Groups * Transport Focus * TravelWatch SouthWest * User Groups{/quote} mostly in line. For sure we would not get them all - some are in the pay of the government, or are likely to be sanctioned if they step out of line.

I was naïve: one of the biggest surprises of raising the issue of the Bristol to Waterloo trains was that industry organisations prepared in a disinterested way to represent the passenger interest in this - just didn't exist - and then of course the hand of the TOCs (Train Operating Company) were tied.

Looking back to 2018, the previous franchisee wouldn't have had firm plans to grow an already rewarding service without a reason.

New franchisee, industrial action, one pandemic, increasingly authoritarian political leadership, and the hands of the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) further tightening on the rail industry that the UK (United Kingdom) seems to believe is privatised, and... pfffft!

And now, here we are in 2022, with Network Rail unable to provide... robust signalling staff cover for wide area rail operating centres, routine dependence on requiring staff to work rest-days in an industry whose essence involves working the sort of hours that many people would not want to work long-term. So, morale increasingly  through the floor, with all the woes *that* brings.

Mark
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: