Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:10:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Day trip to London  (Read 2746 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 17, 2022, 11:41:49 »

Our guests are looking to make a day trip to London. We live in Melksham and are looking to use public transport where possible, including in and around the capital, but we can drive somewhat (let's say "within Wiltshire") to get to a starting point.

There are two UK (United Kingdom) adults with senior railcards and four none-UK guests all aged 18 or older making up a total party of (probably) all six for the day.  Our guests are already with us - NOT from an EU» (European Union - about) or Nato country, nor one in the Interrail 'club'. Neither are they from the USA (Britrail?)

Price is important - almost at the "pence matter" level.

National Express from along our street offer a lowest price of £288.00 on some days - 6 hours in London for somewhat longer than that on the coach and I don't feel attracted.   The cheapest tickets from Trowbridge are super-off-peak via Warminster and Salisbury, but you're not allowed to arrive in London until 14:00.  I'm attracted to the idea of driving to Bedwyn and catching the train from there - what's parking like at Bedwyn  Grin

More seriously ... Hungerford?  Day returns Melksham to Didcot and day return Didcot to London travel card?  Thoughts welcome ...

Can members tell me how Groupsave works with Travelcards please?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 11:48:50 »

not much parking at Bedwyn, Hungerford might be a better bet

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 13:20:14 »

Drive to Westbury and then advance singles on the 07:36 to Salisbury which is actually a train to Waterloo. That'll give a day in London but 'cos of reasons I'm hazy on a way to return... there is a direct train back to Westbury for £22 advance single...

Ah, on that train up to Waterloo from Westbury, the quota of advance singles has been tweaked and they now bottom out at around £22 for that early train (vs around £24 for trains up to Paddington from Westbury.) Up from Westbury at that time was reliably £11 for a bit, so that's put the price up.

It shouldn't be the case, but I'm suspecting that car, and railheading to Didcot is going to be the best option...

Mark
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 14:20:27 »

The car park at Westbury - despite being extended - was almost full at 11am on Tuesday.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 14:52:29 »

For 6 adults from Didcot £139.50 for a a day Groupsave Travelcard (£23.25 each) if you can get six in the car plus all day parking at DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains).
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 15:19:20 »

For scenic surface tour to start your visit (now that the 23 has been rerouted), take a 7 or 23 from the Crossrail side of Paddington to George St stop on Edgware Rd (has shelter), change there onto a 6 to Charing Cross and from there a 15 to the Tower of London. The 6 and 15 pass many of the famous sights and is a free intro for your guests.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 15:36:24 »

For 6 adults from Didcot £139.50 for a a day Groupsave Travelcard (£23.25 each) if you can get six in the car plus all day parking at DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains).

Plus car parking. But I seriously doubt thst you’ll beat that. And there’s always space to park at Didcot. Allow plenty of time from car park to ticket office to train though
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2022, 11:16:02 »

We did the trip yesterday - at £35.55 per head from Melksham to London with zones 1 to 6 travel card.  Yes, via that Didcot Groupsave Travelcard.  Out at 08:00, back into Melksham at 19:59 - fun day had by all.    Full report to follow.

W saw in passing Westminster Abbey, the Law Courts, St Paul's Cathedral, Lambeth Palace, Cenotaph ... pictures incomplete / with people in the way ... and lots of other interesting things too.   Pictures below are the classics ...

« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 06:57:45 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2022, 12:49:51 »

I trust no jobsworths tried to prevent you taking pictures?  Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2022, 13:54:56 »

Nothing but sweetness and light from all the rail staff - and everyone else we interacted with - all day.   The lady passenger on the 18:28 train from Paddington (which had just 2 full coaches and two halves of standard class) who had the seat beside her occupied by a bag was a bit grumpy when asked to move it, but became more friendly during the journey, and the trolley served one end of carriage then raced (as much as a trolley can race) though past us without offering ... I suspect they were on a schedule, and in any case were nearing Swindon by that time!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2022, 22:30:14 »

Pictures during yesterday - far too much happened today to post a full article to a sequence of public transport pictures.  Comments on my route, etc, welcome.

Not challenged once as I took the pictures.   My guests happy to have their photos shared (lots of photobombing all day!)

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2022, 06:05:16 »

Tickets purchased Friday evening from manned ticket office at Chippenham Station to spec at http://www.passenger.chat/gslondon.pdf

Saturday 9th July
Lift to Melksham Station (exceptional lot of walking in London expected ahead)

08:00 Melksham to Swindon. Around 10 passengers joined; perhaps 40 or 50 on the train

Change onto 08:41 to London (Paddington) which calls at Didcot along the way. 9 cars.  Comfortable seating, but we had made for coach A (rear, quiet) with the intent of being at the quietest point on the train. No trolley seen.  Tickets inspected twice; arrived at unbarriered middle platform at Paddington, without significant delays

36 Bus from in front of the station and left (yuk - building works) to Victoria, seeing Marble Arch, Park Lane, Hyde Park Corner along the way.  Front seats upper deck

11 Bus from Westminster Cathedral (not calling at Victoria at present due to road works) seeing Westminster Abbey, Parliament Square, Houses of Parliament, Cenotaph, Whitehall, Horseguards and Trafalgar Square and into Strand. Front seats upper back. New Routemaster.

Walk Trafalgar Square - Admiraly Arch - Horseguards - St James Park - Birdcage Walk - Parliament Square - start of Westminster Bridge - Embankent - Villiers Street - Strand.

Lunch

15 from across the Road from Charing Cross seeing Strand, Aldwych, Law Courts, Fleet Street, St Pauls, Mansion House, Canon Street, to Tower Hill.  Overcroweded / full and standing due to large school (?) party.  New Routemaster.

Walk Around Tower and alongside river - under Tower Bridge - St Catherines Dock - over Tower Bridge - along South Bank to London Bridge area and London Bridge Station.

Northern line (City branch) to Kennington; Northern line (Charing Cross Branch) to Battersea Power Station. Well used train already; very noisy in tunnels. Huge capacity at Battersea Power Station

Stop at pub across road for a (soft for most) drink

344 bus seeing Vauxhall Bus Station and riverside to Lambeth Palace

Walk Covid Wall - Westminster Bridge End - County Hall - London Eye - over Jubilee / Hungerford Bridge to Embankment

Northern Line to Tottenham Court Road. Very busy - crammed from Leicester Square.

Crossrail Tottenham Court Road to Paddington - spacious, plenty of people about yet not crowded. Impressive first ride in food time for ...

Stop for Fish and Chips

18:28 train (platform 1) - final destination Chelteham Spa. Just 5 carriages, full and standing.  We joined shortly before departure took chances on odd reserved but unoccupied seats and lucked out.  Train remained pretty busy through to Swindon (platform 3).

19:36 to Melksham - 2 car 158 from platform 1, more or less on time shared a bay (so quite busy) and more joined at Chippenham - somewhere between 20 and 30 passengers off at Melksham - most walked away from station. 3 cars doing pickups for remainder.

Good day had by all.  More a tour guide special, but wonderful excuse to catch up on new infrastructure and lines.  (London Bridge, Battersea Power Station, Crossrail). Good to see returning traffic.  Almost total absence of masks - goodness knows if we caught anything, except we were so transient all the way.

Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2022, 10:33:46 »

I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be contrary to LT Bylaws to take photographs on the Tube.  Obviously this is now no longer a thing, or is being widely ignored.  Good idea to avoid using flash photography still, though, if taking pictures of leading end of  moving trains
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2022, 11:37:44 »

I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be contrary to LT Bylaws to take photographs on the Tube.  Obviously this is now no longer a thing, or is being widely ignored.  Good idea to avoid using flash photography still, though, if taking pictures of leading end of  moving trains

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/terms-and-conditions/byelaws#on-this-page-2

I have mirrored a copy of the bylaws for TfL» (Transport for London - about) Rail services at http://www.passenger.chat/railway-byelaws_tfl.pdf - and I can see no reference in there to photography or cameras.

Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 11:38:56 »

Some great photos, thank you for sharing
I was in London last week to see Phantom of the Opera, but got to do the Tower Bridge tour, also found a "secret" path (found on Tiktok) opposite the bridge that takes you down to the edge of the Thames, I got some great photos of the bridge opening from the waters edge

One other building I visited was the Sky Garden (top of the walkie talkie building) free entry but advised to book a slot in advance, has views all over London
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 11:53:27 by Phantom » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: