17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 05:11:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Parkway Redevelopment - A Living Station?  (Read 3805 times)
infoman

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2022, 15:29:31 »

[Consultations] arrange by South Glos at St Michaels centre stoke gifford BS34 8PD

Thursday 14 july 2022 14:00pm till 18:30pm

Wednesday 27th July 14:00pm till 18:30pm

[edited by Red Squirrel to clarify after change of Subject title]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 08:50:31 by Red Squirrel » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 19:49:09 »

Might help if you had explained what they are consulting on?
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 12:44:15 »

I think that it's all to do with this from the Bristol Post.  It appears that some of the draught documents are available now.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/strategic-masterplan-improve-bristol-parkway-7286054
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 20:48:47 »

I've retitled this topic, as this one could potentially run and run!

The scheme involves redeveloping Bristol Parkway - the station that gave its name to the concept of car-oriented railway stations - into a bus, bike and walking-oriented transport hub. Full details are here:

https://consultations.southglos.gov.uk/gf2.ti/-/1417794/139018533.1/PDF/-/Bristol%20Parkway%20Draft%20Masterplan%20Stage%203%20Report.pdf

... and the consultation is here:

https://beta.southglos.gov.uk/parkway-station-masterplan

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 22:04:50 »

Interesting document on the above link.  The proposals repeatedly make references to sustainability, so I was quite surprised to read that the "old" station building is to be demolished and rebuilt which does rather fly in the face of current concerns about the negative environmental impact of doing this.

There's a lot good suggestions though which should enliven the whole site and probably look considerably better too.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 04:22:54 »

Can't see there is a lot wrong with the current station.

Maybe spend the money on getting the link to Thornbury train station re-instated.
As far as Bristol Parkway is concerned,maybe a new bridge Brierly Furlong/Hatchett Road.
Maybe a pedestrian access from the far end of The Green where the conifers are.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 06:54:32 »

At the current time you may be correct. The idea here is to look forward to a time when private vehicle fuel at £2.00 per litre looks like a rosy tinted spectacles cheap past, and we're all using trains, buses, cycles (but not, it would appear from the graphic, e-scooters or electric motor bikes!)

I note space reserved for a platform zero - for local rail, an extra platform might be sensible to allow for trains terminating at Abbey Wood to carry on to Parkway. And while we are at it and seeing a move back to public transport, let's sort out the line towards South Wales (Like the South Welsh are planning on their side) to have services calling at Patchway, Aztec West and Pilning on an appropriate frequency.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 08:18:31 »

Have you tried walking to places around there from Parkway.  Northeast towards Bradley Stoke Way not too bad but any other direction seems to be full of obstacles, particularly the bridge to get south of the railway!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 09:12:20 »

I note a proposed pedestrian underpass to parallel the Hatchet Road bridge, which would hopefully help with that.

My doubt is not so much whether the plans are sensible but whether anything will ever come of them.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 09:52:02 »

As the report says:

Bristol Parkway... ...has provided invaluable access to the rail network, linking thousands of local people and world leading enterprise in north Bristol with cities and towns across the UK (United Kingdom) and beyond.

But the world has changed beyond recognition since the advent of the park and ride idea, where cars were a central part of the story. Climate change, changing work/life patterns following Covid, sustainable economic growth and a radical rethink on the function of train stations has reshaped our view on Bristol Parkway

According to the Parkway masterplan, the parking facilities at the station were underutilised before COVID. I'm not a regular user of the station, but the one time I've parked there in recent years there was no problem at all finding a space. What do other members think? The land around the station, however, must be worth a small fortune. If it's not needed for car parking, surely it makes sense to realise its value by building on some of it?

I note space reserved for a platform zero - for local rail, an extra platform might be sensible to allow for trains terminating at Abbey Wood to carry on to Parkway. And while we are at it and seeing a move back to public transport, let's sort out the line towards South Wales (Like the South Welsh are planning on their side) to have services calling at Patchway, Aztec West and Pilning on an appropriate frequency.

South Gloucestershire Council seem to have had a Damascene conversion in recent times. This masterplan should be read alongside the North Fringe masterplan (here: https://www.westofengland-ca.gov.uk/what-we-do/planning-housing/north-fringe-vision/ ) which, for example, proposes an hourly service to Pilning...

But a Platform 0 would be mostly beneficial for London-bound passengers. The current arrangement whereby everyone has to go over the footbridge via steps or a small lift is pretty inconvenient. A level access direct from the station building would be much, much better.

Have you tried walking to places around there from Parkway.  Northeast towards Bradley Stoke Way not too bad but any other direction seems to be full of obstacles, particularly the bridge to get south of the railway!

Exactly.

When reading the masterplan it's worth noting that these plans move the station building about 200m to the east of its current position. This has confused a few people into thinking the multistory car car shown is new! The principal access for car users would be from Great Stoke Way, freeing up the west end for development. Essentially the new station building would be on the site of the current NR» (Network Rail - home page) Training Centre and parking decks.

My doubt is not so much whether the plans are sensible but whether anything will ever come of them.

There's the rub. Dum spiro spero.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 14:22:33 »

FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) has prepared a map which, we think, shows the outline of these proposals a bit more clearly than the masterplan document:

The post associated with this is here: https://fosbr.org.uk/bristol-parkway-masterplan/

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 20:58:46 »

One feature of Parkway is the very narrow platforms. Could this be addressed in this masterplan?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2022, 22:23:08 »

That's a good point. The only reference to the platforms I've spotted was the potential for a new Platform 0. I'll see to it that this question is raised in FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site)'s response to the consultation.

froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 09:53:01 »

One feature of Parkway is the very narrow platforms. Could this be addressed in this masterplan?

Yes, I was going to make this very point. I really hate having to use Parkway precisely because it feels very uncomfortable waiting around on many of the platforms.

Regarding Red Squirrel's comment about South Glos council seeming to have had a Damascene conversion, I know some of the officers there and yes, I think there has been, though it has been a long time in coming.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2022, 19:30:42 »

It's just moved a step closer, as reported below:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/image-shows-how-bristol-parkway-7901843

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: