Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:44:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A journey on a real HIGH speed train (HST 125) - perhaps my final one  (Read 4496 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 07, 2023, 10:54:25 »

Yesterday, I took what might have been my final ride on an InterCity 125 High Speed Train. These were the mainstay of our long distance service here in the West Country and South Wales for over 40 years but with electrification of parts of the main lines to Plymouth, Bristol and Swansea were replaced by new bi-mode trains that operate on electric traction when it's available.  There are now just one or two journeys a day operated by High Speed Trains, run by Cross Country from Edinburgh and Leeds to Plymouth, and they are to be withdrawn from service in the next couple of months.

Over the years, we have come to love these trains. They were the "plan B" development as a stop-gap when they came in, but yet they represented a huge step forward with power cars at both ends removing the need for shunting and locomotive changes at route ends - the benefits of multiple units (except they could not work in multiple) and the quietness and smoothness of unpowered passenger carriages.

I joined the train yesterday at Cheltenham Spa and rode as far as Taunton. The train - 1V56, the 09:08 Edinburgh to Plymouth; due to leave Cheltenham it was quarter of an hour late there, and it recovered about 5 minutes by Taunton. Packed in standard class with what I would describe as leisure traffic, I wonder how this train would have looked had it been operated by a 4 or 5 carriage Voyager rather than the 7 passenger carriages + power cars.

The journey itself was, frankly, uneventful. HSTs (High Speed Train) are so smooth and noiseless that the passengers simply don't notice the speed at which they're travelling, and the miles just slip by.  The on-train announcements were notable for their clarity (what a contrast to other trains I was on during the day) and for their content, telling passengers of ongoing connections and of where seating was available for those standing in some coaches.

I caught up with the train manager and catering team as we approached Taunton and with permission took their picture and a couple of pictures in First Class too - very much to record something that's coming to an end.  They tell me they love doing the HSTs; they also work Voyager duties already and that'll be their standard job into the future. 

For all their great beauty and passenger experience - perhaps they "saved" the railway - these are 40 year old diesel trains and in spite of midlife (and late life) updates and refurbishments are getting worn out, corroding away, and less kind to the environment than more recent trains. Long mileages on electrified lines don't make sense either.

In their swansong, a number of high speed trains have been shortened and had their top speed clipped in the West of England. They're running around as "Castle Class" on regional rather than InterCity services, with only standard class and without any catering.  They're also a number runninng on services withing Scotland - again, shortened and with a lower top speed. But again, their days are numbered.  I do hope to have another ride or two on some of these grand dames of trains in their semi-retirement, but yesterday felt very much like the end of an era personally.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 15:01:29 »

You could also try The Midland Pullman.

(Other excursion rolling stock is available !)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 17:06:03 »

8. Taunton.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 17:26:57 »

1. Cheltenham Spa platform 1
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 17:46:37 »

From left to right: Broadgage, Red Squirrel and TonyK get to try out their dream jobs for a day.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 17:54:49 »

Chap on the left has a bottle of Port in each hand!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2023, 18:40:04 »

After releasing his "silent but deadly", Grahame was delighted to enjoy the luxury of an empty first class carriage.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2023, 19:20:25 »

Great report and pictures Graham. I’ve tried twice now these past few weekends to get a ride on the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) HSTs (High Speed Train) before they go out of service. Both Saturdays where severe weather warnings put me off going. Just as well last Saturday as trees did fall on the line in the SW.

I would like to try again on Saturday the 19th only to find strikes over four Saturdays starting 19th of August on XC. So maybe late September. Time is running out.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 21:00:50 »

I think they get withdrawn on September 18th?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2023, 21:14:34 »

I think they get withdrawn on September 18th?
Hmmm that date does ring a bell. I saw it somewhere but can’t remember where. I just have very few weekends available between now and then sadly, not helped by further industrial action on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)).
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2023, 00:13:59 »

You could also try The Midland Pullman.

(Other excursion rolling stock is available !)

Thoroughly recommend by a member of the family who went on one of the recent excursions.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2023, 15:47:59 »

From left to right: Broadgage, Red Squirrel and TonyK get to try out their dream jobs for a day.

It's been a long time since I had that much hair!

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2023, 09:46:15 »

And even longer since I was that thin !

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2023, 19:02:30 »

Actually managed a trip on one today, purely by accident and due to the incompetance of GWR (Great Western Railway).

Booked on the 1140 from Totnes this morning, short formed (5 coaches), no seat reservations, so full/Standing
 subsequently fast Plymouth to Exeter St Davids.
  Decided to take a refreshment break in the 'Signal Box' cafe,  also busy but the usual, efficient friendly service.
  When noticing the 1253 was a 'proper train' decided to forgo the pleasure of the 1240 IET (Intercity Express Train), spending a pleasant hour
  enjoying the pleasant, ambience of a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) HST (High Speed Train).
  Talking to some enthusiasts on the journey, informed me that some of the HST's  are to be exported to Mexico !
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: