16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 14:45:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[107] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[46] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[43] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: BA Cancels 10,000 more flights  (Read 2014 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 06, 2022, 22:34:21 »

BA» (British Airways - about) has cancelled 10,000 more flights making a total - according to the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) - of some 30,000 flights this summer.   Most are said to be from London's airports, and short haul.

What could, should, and will surface public transport providers do to encourage the passengers displaced from cancelled flight to travel on their services.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 14:36:34 »

Simpler fares, rather than the present system under which the fare payable is largely considered to be down to chance or luck. And in particular remove punitively high fares for walk up travel on lightly used services.

More reliable train services even in moderately bad weather. Any reasonable person expects disruption in truly extreme weather, that also affects airlines, but we see far to many disruptions under moderately adverse conditions during which roads and airlines operate as normal.

Better trains, long enough and with padded seats, catering and most seats at full size tables.

Tax aviation fuel and spend the money on railways.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 16:04:52 »

BA» (British Airways - about) has cancelled 10,000 more flights making a total - according to the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) - of some 30,000 flights this summer.   Most are said to be from London's airports, and short haul.

What could, should, and will surface public transport providers do to encourage the passengers displaced from cancelled flight to travel on their services.

Could, should do - proactively  offer the cheapest possible fares, ensure sufficient capacity, run additional services where necessary, make the services reliable without mass cancellations at weekends/ on Sundays for example, remove threat of disruptive strike action for the affected period, think about the bigger picture and how a good experience may attract people to travel by train rather than by air for domestic travel in future, thus helping to secure services and jobs.

Will do - probably none of the above, and blame the Government.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 17:00:51 »

I suspect that what the government will actually do, will be to give some form grant, subsidy, or other bung to the air travel industry. Either directly to the airlines, or indirectly to airports.

The climate emergency is now very last year, the next big ideas are "levelling up" and also "regional connectivity" which may become the new way to justify subsidies for air transport.

I would like to see much greater use of railways instead of short haul air.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 18:42:14 »

We should all remember that many of the problems that are causing all this strife on the airlines are also being felt by the rail industry (and other forms of public transport). 

Put simply, the railways will not be in a position to do much heavy lifting as a result of the current failings of the airlines, and we must expect the number of cancellations and impact of industrial action to likely worsen over the height of summer.

Some of the ideas listed already make perfect sense longer term, but simply aren’t realistic shorter term.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 05:50:57 »

We should all remember that many of the problems that are causing all this strife on the airlines are also being felt by the rail industry (and other forms of public transport). 

Put simply, the railways will not be in a position to do much heavy lifting as a result of the current failings of the airlines, and we must expect the number of cancellations and impact of industrial action to likely worsen over the height of summer.

Some of the ideas listed already make perfect sense longer term, but simply aren’t realistic shorter term.

Indeed.  But whilst some of the ideas are not realistic shorter term, others could be possible if the will was there. "Could" being the operative word.  I don't see all the parties coming together and sorting out industrial action. I don't see a straightforward fare system being introduced. Sadly, I would rather expect to see a period of stagnation while we sort out important things like who's the next leader of the Conservative party.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 07:10:05 »

The problems faced by the airline industry are largely due to staffing shortages and surging demand following the COVID pandemic.

I'm not sure that these are the same challenges being felt by the rail industry, especially given the unprecedented amount of taxpayer support it received  (as opposed to other parts of the travel industry) during recent times?

Issues around complex fares, reliability etc have been around for decades, with decades of opportunities to address and resolve them, but effective leadership has been lacking and it's simply been easier to do nothing.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 08:34:12 »

In my opinion the issues faced are very similar.  Airlines were also given huge taxpayer support with the furlough scheme.

The railways are also having to deal with a huge surge in demand at leisure times.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 09:04:50 »

In my opinion the issues faced are very similar.  Airlines were also given huge taxpayer support with the furlough scheme.

The railways are also having to deal with a huge surge in demand at leisure times.

You're missing the point - airlines and other travel companies made colossal losses as a result of COVID and the virtual total cessation of leisure travel - the railways were shielded from this impact thanks to £16 billion from the taxpayer - thousands of jobs were cut in aviation as a result, none needed to be cut by the railway during this period, so this is not a challenge they are facing.

Many of these jobs in aviation/travel have not been (re) filled now that things are opening up as people have found more attractive employment (you may have noticed we actually have a labour shortage and it's a buyers market).

Sure, there is an argument that BA» (British Airways - about) and the rest could/should have anticipated an upturn in demand, however I suspect a lot of their former employees may well now be happier where they are......
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 09:38:26 »

Short haul would mean Paris and Prague as opposed to New York and Nairobi. Railways and coaches can take the domestic journeys but there's not much they can do for the majority of short haul; it would require cooperation between rail here, there and probably a few in between, as well as ferries (or Eurostar).

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 09:47:15 »

Short haul would mean Paris and Prague as opposed to New York and Nairobi. Railways and coaches can take the domestic journeys but there's not much they can do for the majority of short haul; it would require cooperation between rail here, there and probably a few in between, as well as ferries (or Eurostar).

Which? had a piece last weekend entitled "5 exciting European cities you can reach by train in under 7 hours". Four of them were the obvious ones in Greater Flanders, but they also included Bordeaux. I didn't check just how realistic it is to get the two trains at suitable times and do the sprint across Paris in that time, but I guess it can be done if they say so - though probably not when you want to do it. (The article itself may or may not be free to view.)

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 09:57:42 »

but they also included Bordeaux. I didn't check just how realistic it is to get the two trains at suitable times and do the sprint across Paris in that time, but I guess it can be done if they say so - though probably not when you want to do it.

Five Hours 13 minutes for London to Bordeaux according to the website rome2rio (https://www.rome2rio.com/map/London/Bordeaux), just 14 minutes longer than the quickest journey by air. The website is (for those who do not know it) a great way to lose hours of time looking up such matters for the curious and idle!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 10:11:46 »

Sure, there is an argument that BA» (British Airways - about) and the rest could/should have anticipated an upturn in demand, however I suspect a lot of their former employees may well now be happier where they are......

I certainly agree with that point.

Interestingly, in terms of Eurostar, they were faced with the same situation the airlines were in I believe?

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2022, 11:22:41 »

Which? had a piece last weekend entitled "5 exciting European cities you can reach by train in under 7 hours". Four of them were the obvious ones in Greater Flanders, but they also included Bordeaux. I didn't check just how realistic it is to get the two trains at suitable times and do the sprint across Paris in that time, but I guess it can be done if they say so - though probably not when you want to do it. (The article itself may or may not be free to view.)

It is free to view. And good news! But by starting from London, they're not counting the journey to get to check in for Eurostar. For long-haul flights, where you'd probably be making your way to Heathrow or Gatwick anyway, that wouldn't matter in terms of comparison, for short-haul most people will be starting from a regional airport. And wherever you start from, my point was that to increase capacity on that route requires (in the case of Bordeaux for instance) Eurostar and SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) (and ideally all the UK (United Kingdom) ToCs) to act in concert.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2022, 17:10:54 »

With this "huge surge in demand at leisure times"  Why are GWR (Great Western Railway) REDUCING total capacity and fleet size by scrapping the Castle sets and replacing them with 5 car IETs (Intercity Express Train), thereby increasing the number of half length main line trains.

The train length lottery is a powerful DISENCENTIVE to rail travel, reserving a seat does not help as reservations are voided on half trains.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: